collapse

Author Topic: Tennessee girl suspended from school 24 times for ‘foul odor’  (Read 3563 times)

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Tennessee girl suspended from school 24 times for ‘foul odor’

Published April 03, 2013 FoxNews.com

"An eight-year-old Tennessee girl has been sent home from school 24 times this school year because of what her mother describes as her foul odor.

The second-grader's mother, Krystal Hensley, told WJHL.com that officials at the unidentified Washington County school continue to send her daughter home despite attempts to correct the problem.

"She's been to the doctor and it's not a medical problem. They send her home at least once a month. You go to school to learn, not to be sent home," Hensley told the station."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/03/tennessee-girl-suspended-from-school-24-times-for-foul-odor/#ixzz2Q3PBmhRc

Follow up information on story,  http://www.wjhl.com/story/21847947/2013/04/01/little-girl-suspended-24-times-from-school-for-smelling-bad

I was surprised that child protective services was not called in.  Remembering my childhood school days, it is possible that other students are splashing something on her that causes the order.  If she is sufficiently afraid of them, she will not say they are doing so.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Tennessee girl suspended from school 24 times for ‘foul odor’
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 08:15:55 am »
Quote from: mlr52;104895
I was surprised that child protective services was not called in.

From the second article it sounds like they were but apparently did not find signs of neglect or abuse in the home.

Remembering my childhood school days, it is possible that other students are splashing something on her that causes the order.  If she is sufficiently afraid of them, she will not say they are doing so.

Something I would not have thought of.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:14:57 am »
Quote from: RandallS;104906
From the second article it sounds like they were but apparently did not find signs of neglect or abuse in the home.

Something I would not have thought of.

I think at this point, they need to stop suspending the child.  My son's school never suspended him. the bo lessened after we took him off the gfcf diet, which never helped his autism anyhow, but it never really went away, even with prescription deodorant and mouthwash, just got tolerable.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:00:00 pm »

I reeked as a kid because I lived with three chain-smokers who smoked inside.  Literally every article of my clothing, my hair (no matter how much I washed it), everything stank of cigarette smoke constantly.  Of course, it was the '70s and a lot of kids smelled nearly as bad.

Not saying this is the case here, but there might be a slightly lower tolerance for smoky odors now that most people smoke elsewhere.

Brina

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:28:35 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;104934
Not saying this is the case here, but there might be a slightly lower tolerance for smoky odors now that most people smoke elsewhere.

If we take the kids to visit Grandma we all have to change when we get home and leave the stinky duds by the back door.  I usually have to shower and pop some asthma pills too.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 02:32:16 pm »
Follow up information on story,  http://www.wjhl.com/story/21847947/2013/04/01/little-girl-suspended-24-times-from-school-for-smelling-bad

From the second article:
The school system listed a variety of reasons why: "Did not bathe yesterday or today, Could not remember the last time she took a bath, and sleeps in clothes."

Her mother disputes all of that.

Not that I have all the facts but based on the above I'm inclined to believe the child.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:43 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;104935
If we take the kids to visit Grandma we all have to change when we get home and leave the stinky duds by the back door.  I usually have to shower and pop some asthma pills too.

My mom still smokes, though not nearly as much, in her house's attached garage.  She's truly convinced that nobody can smell it inside the house, which my sister and I find stupefying.

I can't visit without doubling my asthma steroid dosage, and yeah, there's the smell that gets into everything.  I accidentally left a toiletry bag at her place and she mailed it back to me.  It smelled so nasty that I couldn't even give it to Goodwill with a clear conscience.

Brina

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 02:59:31 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;104937
My mom still smokes, though not nearly as much, in her house's attached garage.  She's truly convinced that nobody can smell it inside the house, which my sister and I find stupefying.

Amazing what that shit does to one's sense of smell.

I can't visit without doubling my asthma steroid dosage, and yeah, there's the smell that gets into everything.  I accidentally left a toiletry bag at her place and she mailed it back to me.  It smelled so nasty that I couldn't even give it to Goodwill with a clear conscience.

My wife was lucky enough to be gifted a Nook by a colleague of hers.  You could tell the Nook used to live in a smoker's home.  (I know; sounds crazy.  Stinky electronics. But true.)  We had to let the damn thing air out in the (detached) garage for a week, maybe longer.  The carrying case had to be soaked in a bleach solution.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 03:54:59 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;104941
My wife was lucky enough to be gifted a Nook by a colleague of hers.  You could tell the Nook used to live in a smoker's home.  (I know; sounds crazy.  Stinky electronics. But true.)  We had to let the damn thing air out in the (detached) garage for a week, maybe longer.  The carrying case had to be soaked in a bleach solution.

I've experienced the same thing.  Plastic components can really soak up the smell.  Our house used to belong to smokers, and even now (14 years after moving in) when we replace a piece of trim or open a less-used closet, we can smell it.

And for the record, I'm not super anti-smoker  (although I do have some personal biases due to my family history), but there definitely does seem to be a lack of awareness among some smokers as to how smoking, especially in enclosed spaces, can get into everything.

Brina
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:55:34 pm by yewberry »

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 03:59:00 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;104948
And for the record, I'm not super anti-smoker  (although I do have some personal biases due to my family history), but there definitely does seem to be a lack of awareness among some smokers as to how smoking, especially in enclosed spaces, can get into everything.

Yepyepyep.

Yet, when you're aware of how pervasive smoke/stench can be, it's hard not to be super anti-smoker.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 04:07:56 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;104937

Back when I cleaned carpets, there was a woman who only smoked in her attached garage.  And since this was a townhouse where the only parking spots were by the garages, I had to make multiple trips through there.

I dreaded having to go there in the summer.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 04:09:34 pm »

"An eight-year-old Tennessee girl has been sent home from school 24 times this school year because of what her mother describes as her foul odor.

The second-grader's mother, Krystal Hensley, told WJHL.com that officials at the unidentified Washington County school continue to send her daughter home despite attempts to correct the problem.

"She's been to the doctor and it's not a medical problem. They send her home at least once a month. You go to school to learn, not to be sent home," Hensley told the station."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/03/tennessee-girl-suspended-from-school-24-times-for-foul-odor/#ixzz2Q3PBmhRc

I was surprised that child protective services was not called in.  Remembering my childhood school days, it is possible that other students are splashing something on her that causes the order.  If she is sufficiently afraid of them, she will not say they are doing so.

I really feel for that child. It could be that she has something poured on her but either way, something doesn't seem right. I worked in a barn morning and night before school. Heck, I used to drag around breeding bucks right before grabbing my backpack and making a mad run for the bus. We never had enough time to shower in the morning, so we just showered at night. And nobody ever complained about us...

Suspension isn't working here. I don't know, tell the child to go shower in the locker room and then let her just wear her gym clothes after? I've done that during the spring planting/ fall harvest season when my parents were so busy that we had to run the farm and nobody really had time to get anything done.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:56 pm »

Something doesn't smell right in this situation!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 05:44:56 pm »

This all seems very strange to me.  Regardless of whether she does or doesn't take regular baths and whether she sleeps in her clothes, it seems weird that an 8-year-old would manage to end up smelling so bad that it was genuinely distracting to others.  (Okay, I was That Gross Kid With Poor Hygiene in middle school; I think I literally showered once a month.  But I was never able to overpower people with my stench.)

But I can't think what would be the most likely cause, in that case.

Kira

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 06:32:14 pm »
Quote from: Snowdrop;104964
This all seems very strange to me.  Regardless of whether she does or doesn't take regular baths and whether she sleeps in her clothes, it seems weird that an 8-year-old would manage to end up smelling so bad that it was genuinely distracting to others.  (Okay, I was That Gross Kid With Poor Hygiene in middle school; I think I literally showered once a month.  But I was never able to overpower people with my stench.)

But I can't think what would be the most likely cause, in that case.

My 11 year old just switched lockers because we were all tired of her coming home and reeking of cigarette smoke and cat urine - she and her stuff absorbed the smell from the locker next to hers.  It was awful - I would have to wash her jacket and other outerwear every night, and she would come home in tears because she was so sick of it.  In her case, the school did nothing - I had to call and ask them to let her change lockers.  They claimed they couldn`t smell anything, which I call BS on, because I went one day and walked by the lockers and the entire hallway smelled.    I felt badly for the little girl whose locker it was, and I hope the school talked to her Mom like they said they were going to.

Sigh.  I`m pretty sure I had a point when I started this post, but it is windy and there is a ton of snow mould blowing around, which = me with a migraine, and I am not braining.  But I feel badly for all of the kids in these situations - it is difficult for the other kids to not understand that it is not the smelly kid`s (for want of a better term) fault and that they shouldn`t be a focus of anger.  But at the same time, no one wants to smell - or smell of - cat pee and smoke or other fun odours all day.

Tags: