Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: SCOTUS Upholds ObamaCare  (Read 4809 times)

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTUS Upholds ObamaCare
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2012, 08:43:52 am »
Quote from: sailor;62467

Any of our Canadian or EU members want to tell about their countries handle non-citizens who do not have insurance?

Treated.  Given a bill.  Never heard from again. :)

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 10:21:37 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;62475

Absent

Just to add to the thread, there's a nice article on Reddit explaining Obamacare.

http://www.reddit.com/tb/vbkfm

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 03:56:19 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;62475

Absent

Ah, we have a similar problem then.  That's one reason our health care costs are so high. Hospitals have to make up for the dead beats, rather than making it up more directly from taxes on the general public.

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2012, 08:05:37 am »
Quote from: sailor;62587
Ah, we have a similar problem then.  That's one reason our health care costs are so high. Hospitals have to make up for the dead beats, rather than making it up more directly from taxes on the general public.

It's a bit of a self perpetuating problem too.  Costs are so high so preventative care isn't sought until there is actually a major issue, which costs more to resolve.  Plus with the prices being so high it's less likely an average person can afford care at all.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 08:18:58 am »
Quote from: sailor;62587

I'm not all that sure that's what she meant.  And I'll bet they have a much smaller number of uninsured people to mess up the health care costs, since i'll bet the number of uninsured foreighers needing care is pretty tiny.
Absentminded?
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 10:54:27 am »
Quote from: mandrina;62612
I'm not all that sure that's what she meant.  And I'll bet they have a much smaller number of uninsured people to mess up the health care costs, since i'll bet the number of uninsured foreighers needing care is pretty tiny.
Absentminded?

Yes and no.  I'm sure there are a fair number of people who skip out on the bill, but not, I think, a majority.  Part of the reason for that is that it is fairly easy for a visa holder to get temporary coverage while they're here, and the other part is that most serious problems are resolved with emergency treatment and a free ride home.  

In a border town like this the patient transfer ambulances from both sides will meet at the bridge so Canadians can get home for treatment without having to pay for American care (OHIP covers a certain amount of that anyway).  Ditto the Americans, of course.  It's a bit more complicated with other nationalities, but I believe if the visitors are from countries with the same type of health care we have the bill is settled between governments rather than individuals.

Indigent people here without insurance are usually assigned a social worker to get them at least temporary coverage while waiting for a trip home or acceptance as legal aliens.

It's not something there are a lot of outraged letters to the editor about.  Once in a while, of course; people do like to be outraged after all.:)  Doctors offices have a list of fees for non-Canadians that have to be paid up front and for some it is more reasonable than what they would pay at home so they cross the border for all their doctor visits.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2012, 04:09:15 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;62625

Looks like Texas is joining the states that are throwing a temper tantrum and refusing to implement the law http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-perry-joins-republican-governors-won-t-implement-165029996.html

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2012, 04:46:24 pm »
Quote from: Skyth;63452
Looks like Texas is joining the states that are throwing a temper tantrum and refusing to implement the law http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/rick-perry-joins-republican-governors-won-t-implement-165029996.html

55 MPH, 21 yr old drinking age.

AFAIK the state exchanges are not a requirement, in the same way the mandate to buy insurance is not a requirement.  States have the option to not set up exchanges, and instead they lose part of an increase in Medicare and / or Medicaid funding. Ie, a person can't be thrown in jail for not having insurance, states can't be forced to set up exchanges.

From a state budget / economic view, I thought that the increase in funding also came with more coverage requirements, so it might have been a money losing proposition for the states.

From a political view, it keeps the residents happy with the state govt since they'll have to go to the Federal exchange and deal with Federal employees / Federal contractors rather than complaining about service to state officials.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2012, 05:09:14 pm »
Quote from: sailor;63458

AFAIK the state exchanges are not a requirement, in the same way the mandate to buy insurance is not a requirement.  States have the option to not set up exchanges, and instead they lose part of an increase in Medicare and / or Medicaid funding. Ie, a person can't be thrown in jail for not having insurance, states can't be forced to set up exchanges.

From a state budget / economic view, I thought that the increase in funding also came with more coverage requirements, so it might have been a money losing proposition for the states.

From a political view, it keeps the residents happy with the state govt since they'll have to go to the Federal exchange and deal with Federal employees / Federal contractors rather than complaining about service to state officials.

wonderful. And I'm moving there and trying to find a job in healthcare, probably longterm care,  and they are going to have more cuts in medicaid and medicare.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Skyth

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2012, 08:53:34 pm »
Quote from: sailor;63458

And it still seems like more of a temper tantrum and cutting off the nose to spite the face type reaction.

Tags: