collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Police Caught On Video Joking about Killing People and Turning Off Body Cameras  (Read 1833 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Melamphoros;179933
I probably have the darkest sense of humor around, and I think even I would be shocked if a cop said this.  Mostly because I wouldn't be sure if they were joking or not.

As a woman, I'm not that shocked.

Louis CK made a joke one time about men being the top predator of women, and how trusting women have to be on a daily basis to agree to go alone, in their car, on dates with men. And as a joke, it's depressingly accurate.

I'm not shocked when men make rape jokes, when men beat women, and when men treat women as inferiors. Violence isn't any more surprising to me when it's expressed by men in uniform.

One time I was in the car waiting for my husband when a man pulled up next to me. We were the only two in the parking lot in a rural area, and he hit our car with his door when he got out. After he did so he just glared at me and I kept my eyes down. When I told my husband, he was surprised I hadn't said anything to the man. But I couldn't; the man could have potentially attacked me. It's such a simple, everyday situation but I still had to be aware of my safety and the possibility of life-threatening danger.

I think there's some interesting parallels between that dynamic and the dynamic for civilian men and police officers. Police are now the number one predator of civilian men, and men are becoming extremely aware that they can be randomly victimized by someone abusing their sense of superior force or authority over them.  Even in simple, everyday situations, like standing on the corner at night, or walking home from the store alone (all things women have never been entirely safe in doing). Civilian men simply going about their lives now has the potential of being a life-threatening situation.

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what my point is other than noticing the similarities and that it's hard to be shocked that some men victimize others and find humor in it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:58:21 am by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Quote from: Juniperberry;180018

Even in simple, everyday situations, like standing on the corner at night, or walking home from the store alone (all things women have never been entirely safe in doing). Civilian men simply going about their lives now has the potential of being a life-threatening situation.

To be fair, going out in public puts everyone at risk for being randomly shot by someone seeking their fifteen minutes of fame.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Melamphoros;180019
To be fair, going out in public puts everyone at risk for being randomly shot by someone seeking their fifteen minutes of fame.

That's true, however, that's one mentally-ill gunman attacking indiscriminately. In the two scenarios I mentioned it's individuals of a certain group exploiting their perceived authority and superior existence to abuse and victimize individuals of another group.  

While individuals of the abusive group may be mentally unstable as well, generally their violent behavior is socially constructed; acceptable violence against women is still present in media and culture, just as much as racism and the guilty-by-default mindset is.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Tags: