"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Livetweets from Ferguson  (Read 1833 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Livetweets from Ferguson
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:48:09 pm »
If anyone's interested, this is a list of reporters livetweeting from Ferguson, MO. I know we have a lot of twitter folks and social justice folks on TC and thought this would interest (read: horrify) you as much as it does me.

Trigger warnings for violence, racism, and possibly graphic pictures now or in the future?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: Livetweets from Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 06:30:20 am »
Quote from: Sage;155625
If anyone's interested, this is a list of reporters livetweeting from Ferguson, MO. I know we have a lot of twitter folks and social justice folks on TC and thought this would interest (read: horrify) you as much as it does me.

Trigger warnings for violence, racism, and possibly graphic pictures now or in the future?

I didn't even know this had happened. Once more, Welcome to America and Our Discriminatory Bullshit.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 01:50:10 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;155651
I didn't even know this had happened. Once more, Welcome to America and Our Discriminatory Bullshit.

:( I'm from St. Louis, so I can't even begin to describe what is going on in Ferguson right now... It's totally and completely awful. A peaceful protest turned into a riot (in which they looted stores, damaged news and police vehicles, and burned down a gas station). They've been peacefully protesting every day since Saturday. And the police don't want them to anymore, so they started shooting rubber bullets and throwing tear gas at people. Finally, the FBI is starting it's investigation on the shooting (in which multiple witnesses are saying Mike Brown was standing with his hands up when he was killed, while police are saying there was struggle over a weapon), the governor is pulling out the police force to let the protesters protest in peace, and reporters will finally be allowed back into Ferguson instead of being arrested for doing their jobs.

It's just awful. All I see on Facebook is posts about Ferguson from my friends who are down there. It's been really draining on me this week. I'm just glad I don't live around there anymore, because apparently, the news has basically been on the Ferguson cover 24/7 since this started. TV programs were canceled (and are now starting to be aired again) and school has been pushed back.

It's heartbreaking. :(

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 02:47:21 pm »
Quote from: Sage;155625
If anyone's interested, this is a list of reporters livetweeting from Ferguson, MO.

I'm going to a Ferguson protest here in NYC tonight.

Other interesting developments: People in Gaza are tweeting tear-gas survival tips to the Ferguson protesters
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:09:29 pm »
Quote from: Altair;155682

Other interesting developments: People in Gaza are tweeting tear-gas survival tips to the Ferguson protesters

That's pure awesomeness and really shows the kindness of strangers across the world. Wow.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:42:12 pm »
Quote from: Altair;155682

500063623071678466[/tweet]]Looks like quite a turnout!
I shall endure.

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;155651

Yeah. I've been in Japan, and now this makes me just want to hide under my hotel bed and not go back to America. My country is so fucked up.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:13:00 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;155692
That's pure awesomeness and really shows the kindness of strangers across the world. Wow.

If anybody here ever wants to know about handling tear-gas, I can give a brief overview of a good way to deal with it (assuming you can keep a cool head).

The thing most people forget is that it's not actual gas. It's a micro-powder.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 09:24:01 pm »
Quote from: Allaya;155725
If anybody here ever wants to know about handling tear-gas, I can give a brief overview of a good way to deal with it (assuming you can keep a cool head).

The thing most people forget is that it's not actual gas. It's a micro-powder.

I've heard both vinegar and onion skins help?

Also, Washington Post journalist Wesley Lowery (one of the two illegally detained for "trespassing" at a McDonald's yesterday afternoon) has written about the huge 180 degree turn in Ferguson after a change in police leadership. Not out of the woods yet but it's looking very, very different than yesterday.
I shall endure.

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 10:15:05 pm »
Quote from: Sage;155727
I've heard both vinegar and onion skins help?

Also, Washington Post journalist Wesley Lowery (one of the two illegally detained for "trespassing" at a McDonald's yesterday afternoon) has written about the huge 180 degree turn in Ferguson after a change in police leadership. Not out of the woods yet but it's looking very, very different than yesterday.

A better solution than vinegar or onion skins is to deal with the canisters before they emit a lot of the powder.

I'll give the 'perfect setup' version that can be adapted any-which-way.

You will want a standard 3 or 5 gallon polypropylene bottle from a water cooler (bonus if it has an integrated handle). Fill it half to three-quarters full of water and stop up the mouth with a plug of water-soaked rags.

Have a soaking wet rag or bandana over your mouth and periodically re-wet it. Goggles are good too.

When the canisters land, run your ass over to them and scoop them up. You will want to use oven mitts, grill mitts, hand towels, etc. The canisters are HOT and you do not want the powder to get on bare skin. Run your ass over to the water bottle, drop the canister in (most standardized gas canisters will fit), and plug it back up with the rag.

Congratulations, you have neutralized the canister. A LOT of people are going to (literally) breathe easier.

This system works best when multiple people are working together to grab-n-run because you can rotate them out as they start to show irritation to their mucus membranes. You might want maybe two or three bottle stations along the line (the more, the merrier).

Of course, if you're also dealing with beanbags, sound cannons, and rubber bullets...you might really want to consider just leaving. It really upsets me that many of the things used against protesters are marketed as "non-lethal".  They are at best less-than-lethal and can very easily kill people when used by poorly-trained personnel (which would be many, if not most, police departments).

The unspoken assumption by many protesters is that the police are trained to use their equipment to inflict minimal damage with maximum effect. This is NO LONGER TRUE and you should not weigh your options based on that assumption.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Tags: