collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Health care law trial begins today  (Read 7215 times)

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2465
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 172
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2012, 12:20:14 am »
Quote from: cigfran;49063
If the church doesn't want to perform "same sex marriages" then all they need to do is decouple their ceremonies from the legal condition of marriage. Anyone can get religiously married any way they want, but to have that marriage recognized by the state needs a different procedure, such as a civil "marriage."

I think what really needs to change is the state's definition/practice of 'marriage.'  
Marriage is a social/cultural compact.  What the state provides is a civil contract, a business arrangement.  The state has no prevailing interest in what traditions or customs, nor should it be concerned whether you become 'one flesh in the eyes of the Lord' (or not.)
Religious institutions should maintain full right, per the free-exercise clause of the 1st Amendment, to perform their rites-- or not-- according to custom, belief, and conscience.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Inca

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 73
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2012, 02:18:57 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;49490
I think what really needs to change is the state's definition/practice of 'marriage.'  

 
Bear in mind that the case sailor provided was from the EU, not the US. And apart from that, the court ruling did not include the ruling about church marriages: someone, somewhere made that up.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2465
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 172
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2012, 02:44:28 am »
Quote from: Inca;49497
Bear in mind that the case sailor provided was from the EU, not the US. And apart from that, the court ruling did not include the ruling about church marriages: someone, somewhere made that up.

 
Understood.  My statement was made with the US in mind.  Regarding what I said about religious institutions and their rights, that was said with Constitutional principle in mind.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2012, 04:37:06 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;49490

Religious institutions should maintain full right, per the free-exercise clause of the 1st Amendment, to perform their rites-- or not-- according to custom, belief, and conscience.

 
I sometimes wish that some US religious institutions understood that. Of course their stance may be based more on politics rather than on actual theology.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2465
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 172
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2012, 04:55:56 am »
Quote from: sailor;49504
I sometimes wish that some US religious institutions understood that. Of course their stance may be based more on politics rather than on actual theology.

 
Religion involved in politics?  Shirley you jest!
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2465
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 172
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2012, 04:59:36 am »
Quote from: Skyth;49045
We are, with 'we' being the government.



Usually any time there's anything in the UN that requires people to treat homosexuals as human beings.


No, Barak Obama is a moderate.  The pendulum has shifted so far to the right that people don't recognize what an actual moderate is.  Also, his name is Barak, not Barry.  There is no need for name calling.

 
Sorry, long time replying.

Regarding "we" being the government.  If the rights and responsiblities lay in our hands, then why do we need a nanny state?  If we have rights, we deserve this and that, and we're entitled to good things, it lies to us to seize them.  Remember that govt does not create wealth, or dollars, or prosperity.  What wealth it does possess, it has taken from some of the people to be 'redistributed' to others.  Remember that when you say you're entitled to something, and that government is duty bound to furnish it to you... it may just be your neighbour who has been tagged and taxed to feed your sense of entitlement.  

Regarding your statement Usually any time there's anything in the UN that requires people to treat homosexuals as human beings.  It was in response to my question: when does the US side with "oppressive regimes on the issues of human rights".
Not only is your statement unnecessarily vague (it says nothing at all, actually) but you can't be serious mentioning the UN and human rights in the same breath.  That is an absolute screamer.  When you get a moment, take a look at the current member list of the United Nations.  As far as violating human rights goes, many of those countries have made an art form of it, making us look like pikers in contrast.  I know the UN has a universal declaration of human rights-- I heard it read once, during a u2 concert-- but if you're looking to that collective body as an avatar of human rights goodness, don't.  

Now... to BARRY being a moderate.  
He has been described as being an 'ardent Marxist/Leninist' in his college days, and by his own admission he cozied up to his Marxist professors.  To my knowledge he has never abandoned or recanted these ideas... so is he really a moderate?  
He spent 20 years in the congregation of Rev. Jeremiah "God Damn America" Wright.  Not a moderate church by any means...
Look at the 'czars' he as appointed.  Read up on their resumes and philosophies, many of them to the left of moderate.  As in, Left with a capital C.  And the usage of 'czar' is mighty telling.  You are known by the company you keep.  
Just for fun, look at Obamacare.  A nice big piece of bureaucratic boondoggle, and a statist's wet dream.  We need to pass this thing to find out what's in it, to paraphrase Pelosi.  Not only does it bend the commerce clause near to the point of breaking, it gives the FedGov far more power than what was originally enumerated.  And the mandate... my, what a coup!  For a man who once taught Constitutional law, he sure knows how to bend it over and stretch it.  This piece of law is supposed to his flagship, his legacy.... and look at how he scolds the Supremes for daring to differ with him.  
Then there are some of the EOs he has signed, using them as if they were dictatorial fiat.  
Move along. Nothing moderate to see here.

Regarding "pendulum shift"... now that really is a matter of perception.  You see that things have shifted so far to the right .... from my perspective, the left has been overrun by fringe marxist and socialist elements, and I point to the numerous 'occupy' speeches to their effect as evidence.  (And from what I've read here and there, that movement may yet go militant.  Down with the bougeoisie pigs!  Long live the dictatorship of the proletariat!)  I was a registered Democrat twenty years ago... even voted for B. J. Clinton.  Shit sure has changed.  

Oh, and "Barry"... that was a nickname Barack went by when he was younger.  As did his father.  So I'll thank you kindly not to presume to advise me against name calling.  Unless you hear me refer to the President as SpongeBarry MarxPants.  Or Poopyhead.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2012, 07:04:04 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;49506


Regarding your statement Usually any time there's anything in the UN that requires people to treat homosexuals as human beings.  It was in response to my question: when does the US side with "oppressive regimes on the issues of human rights".
Not only is your statement unnecessarily vague (it says nothing at all, actually) but you can't be serious mentioning the UN and human rights in the same breath.  That is an absolute screamer.  When you get a moment, take a look at the current member list of the United Nations.  As far as violating human rights goes, many of those countries have made an art form of it, making us look like pikers in contrast.  I know the UN has a universal declaration of human rights-- I heard it read once, during a u2 concert-- but if you're looking to that collective body as an avatar of human rights goodness, don't.  

 
BTW, this weekend was the 18th anniversary of the start of the Rwanda genocide while the country was being protected by UN Peacekeepers lead by Kofi Annan.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/the-ghosts-of-rwanda-and-the-responsibility-to-protect/?singlepage=true

The only person who Might have been able to stop it followed his political orders to not intervene. Nuremberg vs civilian control and the Tutus lost.

Auress

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:55 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;49506
Sorry, long time replying.

Regarding "we" being the government.  If the rights and responsiblities lay in our hands, then why do we need a nanny state?  If we have rights, we deserve this and that, and we're entitled to good things, it lies to us to seize them.  Remember that govt does not create wealth, or dollars, or prosperity.  What wealth it does possess, it has taken from some of the people to be 'redistributed' to others.  Remember that when you say you're entitled to something, and that government is duty bound to furnish it to you... it may just be your neighbour who has been tagged and taxed to feed your sense of entitlement.  

Regarding your statement Usually any time there's anything in the UN that requires people to treat homosexuals as human beings.  It was in response to my question: when does the US side with "oppressive regimes on the issues of human rights".
Not only is your statement unnecessarily vague (it says nothing at all, actually) but you can't be serious mentioning the UN and human rights in the same breath.  That is an absolute screamer.  When you get a moment, take a look at the current member list of the United Nations.  As far as violating human rights goes, many of those countries have made an art form of it, making us look like pikers in contrast.  I know the UN has a universal declaration of human rights-- I heard it read once, during a u2 concert-- but if you're looking to that collective body as an avatar of human rights goodness, don't.  

Now... to BARRY being a moderate.  
He has been described as being an 'ardent Marxist/Leninist' in his college days, and by his own admission he cozied up to his Marxist professors.  To my knowledge he has never abandoned or recanted these ideas... so is he really a moderate?  
He spent 20 years in the congregation of Rev. Jeremiah "God Damn America" Wright.  Not a moderate church by any means...
Look at the 'czars' he as appointed.  Read up on their resumes and philosophies, many of them to the left of moderate.  As in, Left with a capital C.  And the usage of 'czar' is mighty telling.  You are known by the company you keep.  
Just for fun, look at Obamacare.  A nice big piece of bureaucratic boondoggle, and a statist's wet dream.  We need to pass this thing to find out what's in it, to paraphrase Pelosi.  Not only does it bend the commerce clause near to the point of breaking, it gives the FedGov far more power than what was originally enumerated.  And the mandate... my, what a coup!  For a man who once taught Constitutional law, he sure knows how to bend it over and stretch it.  This piece of law is supposed to his flagship, his legacy.... and look at how he scolds the Supremes for daring to differ with him.  
Then there are some of the EOs he has signed, using them as if they were dictatorial fiat.  
Move along. Nothing moderate to see here.

Regarding "pendulum shift"... now that really is a matter of perception.  You see that things have shifted so far to the right .... from my perspective, the left has been overrun by fringe marxist and socialist elements, and I point to the numerous 'occupy' speeches to their effect as evidence.  (And from what I've read here and there, that movement may yet go militant.  Down with the bougeoisie pigs!  Long live the dictatorship of the proletariat!)  I was a registered Democrat twenty years ago... even voted for B. J. Clinton.  Shit sure has changed.  

Oh, and "Barry"... that was a nickname Barack went by when he was younger.  As did his father.  So I'll thank you kindly not to presume to advise me against name calling.  Unless you hear me refer to the President as SpongeBarry MarxPants.  Or Poopyhead.



Agreed.

Obama is so far from being a moderate it isn't even funny. A leftist is a leftist is a leftist.

cigfran

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 421
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2012, 09:45:51 am »
Quote from: Vermillion;49525
Agreed.

Obama is so far from being a moderate it isn't even funny. A leftist is a leftist is a leftist.

 
Only to a committed ideological rightist.

Skyth

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 391
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2012, 09:51:09 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;49506
Oh, and "Barry"... that was a nickname Barack went by when he was younger.  As did his father.  So I'll thank you kindly not to presume to advise me against name calling.  Unless you hear me refer to the President as SpongeBarry MarxPants.  Or Poopyhead.

 
Actually, it is name calling as it is intended to denigrate and disrespect him.  It's childish antics that shows your true colors.

Auress

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 201
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2012, 12:19:08 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;49531
Only to a committed ideological rightist.


I don't think I've met any of those lately. He's not a moderate to even MODERATES.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2465
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 172
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2012, 02:52:57 pm »
Quote from: Skyth;49533
Actually, it is name calling as it is intended to denigrate and disrespect him.  It's childish antics that shows your true colors.

Resorting to ad hominem attacks shows yours.
It also shows the limits of your thinking and your ability to form a coherent argument.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:02:49 pm by MadZealot »
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

cigfran

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 421
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2012, 11:22:37 am »
Quote from: Vermillion;49554
I don't think I've met any of those lately. He's not a moderate to even MODERATES.

 
You'll need to provide some backup for that. As something of a leftist myself, I consume a fair amount of partisan media, and the critiques of Obama are pretty severe in those quarters.

But I was more concerned about the pointless reductionism of "a leftist is a leftist is a leftist." It's that kind of sloppy overstatement that, when actually believed, leads to bullshit like this:

Quote
[Allen West] said "he's heard" up to 80 U.S. House Democrats are Communist Party members, but wouldn't name names.


http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/allen-west-hears-cheers-jeers-at-town-hall-2295766.html?cxtype=rss_news

cigfran

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 421
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2012, 11:27:36 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;49506
He has been described as being an 'ardent Marxist/Leninist' in his college days, and by his own admission he cozied up to his Marxist professors.


And you were "by your own admission" once a Republican evangelical. Your point?

Quote from: MadZealot;49506
And the usage of 'czar' is mighty telling.


Seriously? My understanding is that the title "czar" to refer to a particular appointed authority goes back to the Nixon administration. This kind of word-association game is ridiculous.

MadZealot

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Nov 2011
  • Location: So Cal
  • Posts: 2465
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 172
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
Re: Health care law trial begins today
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2012, 01:00:03 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;49737
And you were "by your own admission" once a Republican evangelical. Your point?
Actually, I had meant to add that Obama has never publicly recanted or modified those views.  That was my point, thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify myself.  
If however I am wrong in this, I am open to new info.  



Quote
Seriously? My understanding is that the title "czar" to refer to a particular appointed authority goes back to the Nixon administration. This kind of word-association game is ridiculous.
Go back a little further than that; try FDR.  
Constitutionally speaking, the appointment of "public Ministers" can be appointed by the President "with the Advice and Consent of the Senate."  The problem is when they are not vetted, such as those which Obama appointed without Senate approval.
These positions are 'unelected'-- a term which Obama recently used against the Supremes, almost perjoratively.  These positions require no background checks, and little-to-no oversight.  Concerns over this practice include the "rapid and easy accumulation of power by White House staff [threatening] the Constitutional system of checks and balances."  (Robert Byrd, getting it right for once.)  Democratic stalwarts Russ Feingold and Dianne Feinstein have also weighed in on the lack of oversight over these positions.  Also called into question are the czars' accountability and the transparency promised by the current Administration.  
I'm not the only one who raises a concern over the word associatiom, what you call a 'game.'  "We do not need and should not have czars. The last time I checked, only pre-Communist Russia had czars, and we are certainly not Russia."  (Sen Paul Broun.)  
The word has negative connotations.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:01:48 pm by MadZealot »
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
2487 Views
Last post August 10, 2011, 10:43:20 pm
by LyricFox
118 Replies
13085 Views
Last post May 26, 2013, 01:11:45 pm
by Forsythiae
3 Replies
1187 Views
Last post December 06, 2014, 12:16:37 am
by HarpingHawke
9 Replies
2196 Views
Last post October 28, 2016, 08:07:26 pm
by SunflowerP
2 Replies
924 Views
Last post May 30, 2018, 10:27:01 am
by Vixen

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 38
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall