Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: FDA halts sales of 4 R.J. Reynolds cigarette brands  (Read 2091 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
FDA halts sales of 4 R.J. Reynolds cigarette brands
« on: September 15, 2015, 01:51:23 pm »
"Under FDA rules, companies that launch new cigarettes must show that the products are essentially the same as older products in terms of health risks. The FDA said four brands from R.J. Reynolds failed to show that they don't raise new safety concerns."

Read the Article

Comment: I didn't even know they could do that.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: FDA halts sales of 4 R.J. Reynolds cigarette brands
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 01:10:15 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;180025
"Under FDA rules, companies that launch new cigarettes must show that the products are essentially the same as older products in terms of health risks. The FDA said four brands from R.J. Reynolds failed to show that they don't raise new safety concerns."

Read the Article

I didn't either until recently when I learned about the safety reporting requirements for tobacco companies and the amount of data that is collected and reported to FDA.  It's fascinating stuff.

Disclosure: I work in the pharmaceutical industry.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:03:23 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;180067
I didn't either until recently when I learned about the safety reporting requirements for tobacco companies and the amount of data that is collected and reported to FDA.  It's fascinating stuff.

Is any of it publicly available? I've heard some of the stuff added to tobacco is weird enough to make people want to quit. Fortunately, I never got started and Lyric quit 13-14 years ago.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:54 am »
Quote from: RandallS;180068
Is any of it publicly available? I've heard some of the stuff added to tobacco is weird enough to make people want to quit. Fortunately, I never got started and Lyric quit 13-14 years ago.

It is available.  The difficulty lies in knowing where to find it; for medications, the ingredients and safety information is in the package insert and this can be found online...usually on manufacturer websites.  For cigarettes, it's not as simple.

I can see what I can dig up resource-wise if anyone is interested.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 04:01:26 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;180098
I can see what I can dig up resource-wise if anyone is interested.

Yes, please!

That kind of info might help my daughter quit smoking.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 04:26:04 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;180098
For cigarettes, it's not as simple.

For some reason, I'm not at all surprised by that.
Randall

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 06:11:01 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;180105
Yes, please!

That kind of info might help my daughter quit smoking.

For starters, a chemical in urine is added to cigarettes to enhance the flavor. :sick:

If you want to help your daughter quit, you should have her read Allen Carr's "The EasyWay to Quit Smoking". Every ex-smoker I know swears by it. I read it and quit after 20 years of smoking two packs a day.  There's free PDFs online.

It wasn't the additives that opened my eyes me about cigarettes, it's the nicotine itself. One puff of a cigarette saturates 50% of your dopamine receptors. By the end of the cigarette, almost all receptors are saturated and up-regulated by producing more receptors.

As soon as you finish your cigarette, the nicotine levels in your system begin to drop. In two hours it's at half-life. As the levels drop, your dopamine receptors crave more. So you smoke again, saturating the receptors and your brain upregulates and produces more receptors. Now you have x number of receptors so you smoke again to satisfy them and after that cigarette you have any more receptors screaming in withdrawal, so you smoke, create more receptors, smoke create more, smoke, create more, smoke, create more etc etc. It never ends.

Dopamine levels are essential to survival. We eat for survival, and food triggers our dopamine receptors so we do it again. This is good. Nicotine also triggers our dopamine receptors so it also tricks us into believing that smoking is also essential to our survival. The dangerous thing is that since it's  lifespan is so short that in two hours it's at half life, it becomes more essential to the smoker's survival than food for example. Faced with starvation or withdrawal, an addict would literally rather buy a pack of cigarettes than a sandwich.

Smoking isn't a bad habit. Smoking is like a chemical parasite that convinces it's host to feed the parasite rather than feed itself. It's a twisted addiction. No amount of health concerns or financial problems or vanity reasons will convince an addict to quit doing something that the mind believes is essential to it's immediate survival.

And there's the key to quitting. It's not essential to your immediate survival, it's all a mind game.  Despite what they may say, no smoker wants to smoke. There is not a single smoker in the world that wants their own child to start smoking. Smokers continue to smoke because they are afraid of quitting. The brain is convinced that smoking is essential to survival, and that quitting smoking involves misery and suffering.  But it's literally all in your head.

Smokers do not wake up through out the night to smoke as constantly as they do while they are awake, because the body is fine without cigarettes. It's the mind that wants it. And an actual craving only last three-five minutes. The average number of craves per day is only six. It's actually stupid easy to quit smoking once you get past the mind game of it.

Anyway, have her read the book. Tell her the book wants her to smoke while she reads it, but by the time she's done, she won't want to smoke again. It may not hit her the first time, but she will return to the book and it will help her quit. Promise.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:12:56 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 09:54:02 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;180108

If you want to help your daughter quit, you should have her read Allen Carr's "The EasyWay to Quit Smoking". Every ex-smoker I know swears by it. I read it and quit after 20 years of smoking two packs a day.  There's free PDFs online.

Thanks for this!

I see several editions listed online.  Does it matter which one?

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:21:46 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;180120
Thanks for this!

I see several editions listed online.  Does it matter which one?

Actually, here's the link to the one I used, and I know it works. ;)

http://vk.com/doc-55395457_226957034
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:42:24 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;180121
Actually, here's the link to the one I used, and I know it works. ;)

http://vk.com/doc-55395457_226957034

Thanks!

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 10:31:09 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;180122
Thanks!

No problem!

If she does decide to quit, I'd also recommend a quit smoking app. Those are fun because they track the progress of your health restoration; you can watch the status of the percentage bars of like,  carbon monoxide levelling out,  and it's a good motivator.

I'd also recommend visiting reddit's stop smoking sub. It's constantly active and the community is really supportive and helpful.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 12:40:32 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;180025

Read the Article

Fascinating. I didn't know they could do that either!
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 01:05:45 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;180127
No problem!

If she does decide to quit, I'd also recommend a quit smoking app. Those are fun because they track the progress of your health restoration; you can watch the status of the percentage bars of like,  carbon monoxide levelling out,  and it's a good motivator.

I'd also recommend visiting reddit's stop smoking sub. It's constantly active and the community is really supportive and helpful.

Those are great ideas.  I'll pass them on to her.

Thanks!

Sharainthemiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 03:02:51 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;180108
For starters, a chemical in urine is added to cigarettes to enhance the flavor. :sick:

It wasn't the additives that opened my eyes me about cigarettes, it's the nicotine itself. One puff of a cigarette saturates 50% of your dopamine receptors. By the end of the cigarette, almost all receptors are saturated and up-regulated by producing more receptors.

As soon as you finish your cigarette, the nicotine levels in your system begin to drop. In two hours it's at half-life. As the levels drop, your dopamine receptors crave more. So you smoke again, saturating the receptors and your brain upregulates and produces more receptors. Now you have x number of receptors so you smoke again to satisfy them and after that cigarette you have any more receptors screaming in withdrawal, so you smoke, create more receptors, smoke create more, smoke, create more, smoke, create more etc etc. It never ends.

Dopamine levels are essential to survival. We eat for survival, and food triggers our dopamine receptors so we do it again. This is good. Nicotine also triggers our dopamine receptors so it also tricks us into believing that smoking is also essential to our survival. The dangerous thing is that since it's  lifespan is so short that in two hours it's at half life, it becomes more essential to the smoker's survival than food for example. Faced with starvation or withdrawal, an addict would literally rather buy a pack of cigarettes than a sandwich.

Smoking isn't a bad habit. Smoking is like a chemical parasite that convinces it's host to feed the parasite rather than feed itself. It's a twisted addiction. No amount of health concerns or financial problems or vanity reasons will convince an addict to quit doing something that the mind believes is essential to it's immediate survival.

And there's the key to quitting. It's not essential to your immediate survival, it's all a mind game.  Despite what they may say, no smoker wants to smoke. There is not a single smoker in the world that wants their own child to start smoking. Smokers continue to smoke because they are afraid of quitting. The brain is convinced that smoking is essential to survival, and that quitting smoking involves misery and suffering.  But it's literally all in your head.

Smokers do not wake up through out the night to smoke as constantly as they do while they are awake, because the body is fine without cigarettes. It's the mind that wants it. And an actual craving only last three-five minutes. The average number of craves per day is only six. It's actually stupid easy to quit smoking once you get past the mind game of it.

Anyway, have her read the book. Tell her the book wants her to smoke while she reads it, but by the time she's done, she won't want to smoke again. It may not hit her the first time, but she will return to the book and it will help her quit. Promise.
I wish I had known some of this when I quit; it would have been helpful. I used some other site with a timeline that talked about how your lungs / heart etc were changing the longer you stayed nicotene free. Changing my mindset was a huge help for sure. Recognizing that my co-workers, and other parents, experienced stress as well - but didn't run to a cigarette to get through it and that I had just lived 5 minutes (without a smoke), and then an hour and then a day etc etc, were huge motivators.  Drinking a lot of water, having my cigarettes in the house and knuckling through the weekend drinking parties were important to me while I quit. Contrary to all the popular advice. :o
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:04:35 pm by Sharainthemiddle »

Tags: