Re: Foods of the gods by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:23:41 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:22:57 pm]

Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:08:12 pm]

Author Topic: EMDR - Eye Movement Desenstization and Reprocessing  (Read 1261 times)

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
EMDR - Eye Movement Desenstization and Reprocessing
« on: September 23, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »
http://www.emdr.com   I find this interesting. What do you think? I've never even heard of it before today. Does anyone have experience with this?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:42:08 pm by hufflee »
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: EMDR - Eye Movement Desenstization and Reprocessing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:45:34 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;21833
http://www.emdr.com   I find this interesting. What do you think? I've never even heard of it before today. Does anyone have experience with this?

Yes, I have had it done and it does work very well.  I'm hoping to be trained in how to do it soon.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 01:48:02 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;21835
Yes, I have had it done and it does work very well.  I'm hoping to be trained in how to do it soon.

I get that the eye movement kind of emulates REM sleep, but how does that help you get over PTSD? I'm extremely curious, and don't really have the time to get into in depth research.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;21837
I get that the eye movement kind of emulates REM sleep, but how does that help you get over PTSD? I'm extremely curious, and don't really have the time to get into in depth research.

My personal experience with it was basically it had the affect of turning down the intensity of emotion attached to a traumatic event.  It was kind of like having something distract your body from getting too wound up in the emotion.  It does not make you forget the trauma it just turns to volume down to the point where the emotional pain is very reduced, at least that's been my direct personal experience with it.  I think it is a great therapeutic skill, but you do have to get at the very heart of the trauma to try to work it out, therefore you really need a good psychotherapist that knows what they're doing.  It's heavy duty stuff, and should not be taken lightly.

It is not something that anyone can just go out and get trained in either.  I'm not sure it's something that is a stand alone practice, but rather something to add to a therapist's skill set.  I've looked into getting training in it and there are a fair amount of hoops to jump through.  My sense is the founders of it want to make sure the quality is not diminished, which I think is a good policy to have.
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 02:51:49 pm »
Quote from: Etheric1;21840

It is not something that anyone can just go out and get trained in either.  I'm not sure it's something that is a stand alone practice, but rather something to add to a therapist's skill set.  I've looked into getting training in it and there are a fair amount of hoops to jump through.  My sense is the founders of it want to make sure the quality is not diminished, which I think is a good policy to have.

Thanks. I'll have to look into this further.

And yes, it does sound like a good policy. Hopefully it will keep the practice safe(er) from frauds.

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:05:00 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;21833

My experience, it works.  Actually, better than I thought it would when my therapist explained it to me.  I was very skeptical at the beginning.

It's actually not the eye movement, specifically, that's important, but having some physical sensation that stimulates both sides of the brain.  It just happens the person who developed the therapy started with eye movements, so that's where the name came from.  But you could also, say, have a sound in one ear, and then in the other, back and forth.  Or, what I had when I did it was a pair of buzzy things, one in each hand, so the one in the left hand would buzz, and then the right, and back to the left, and so forth.  I don't actually know why it's so important to stimulate both sides of the brain like that, but like Etheric1 said, it also does help in keeping from getting too lost in emotions.

IDK what else to say.  I'm not sure what other information you want.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 04:10:01 pm »
Quote from: Katefox;21858

IDK what else to say.  I'm not sure what other information you want.

That was it. Thanks for the info. I will DEFINITELY look into this.

Tags: