Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Elver dying on the river Shannon  (Read 3699 times)

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Elver dying on the river Shannon
« on: February 23, 2020, 06:53:45 am »
Hi All,
I was recently made aware of this video of young eels dying due to lack of care or interest by a power company running a dam on the river Shannon. Along with the link was a request to share and like the page and generally spread the word of what's happening there.

Here is the link to the youtube video ( from 2016 but the issue is still on going ) -

And here is one to the Old River Shannon Trust  and an article about this written in January this year - https://oldrivershannon.com/2020/01/13/the-shannon-scheme-does-not-provide-green-energy/

I'm not sure of what else to do right now but, if anything comes up I'll also add that to this post

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Elver dying on the river Shannon
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 06:19:38 pm »

There's obviously been a lot of attention on koala's in Aus lately (with good reason), but not to forget that stuff is happening elsewhere too.  I make a small (tiny, really) monthly donation to RSPCA, use Ecosia as my search engine and use Amazon Smile whenever possible while making an Amazon purchase to raise funds for WWF.  I have to hope that these small contributions make some small difference in the world, and obviously "the more the merrier".
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 06:43:23 am »

Oh, and I engage in 'slacktivism' (signing online petitions and the such) wherever possible (and whenever I'm not feeling too 'burnt out' from hearing about these situations).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 06:55:45 am »
There's obviously been a lot of attention on koala's in Aus lately (with good reason), but not to forget that stuff is happening elsewhere too.  I make a small (tiny, really) monthly donation to RSPCA, use Ecosia as my search engine and use Amazon Smile whenever possible while making an Amazon purchase to raise funds for WWF.  I have to hope that these small contributions make some small difference in the world, and obviously "the more the merrier".

I agree Perdita. I've ended up focussing mostly on local issues lately.
First an appeal caming on another site about woods being cut down in Scotland ( the person managed to resolve it well thankfully ), then there was this with the elver in Ireland and, on a local level, the government has decided to force greater new housing demands on all local councils - which has meant a major threat to our local landscape.. That's not to mention local community issues such as Hampshire needing to cut back on libraries ( which I consider an important community resource ). So for those letters and emails and CAT meetings and surveys.
Would you believe less people ( about half the amount ) participated in my local councils community survey of housing plans than there are houses being planned to be built.
I'm also trying to get info on if there are any plans for solar panels to be made compulsary on new housing both localy and country wide as that would produce huge amounts of green energy.

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 06:59:56 am »
Oh, and I engage in 'slacktivism' (signing online petitions and the such) wherever possible (and whenever I'm not feeling too 'burnt out' from hearing about these situations).

Best way I find to keep positive is see it as building a brighter future rather than fighting a darker present. Pulling communities together, focussing positve ideas etc.
Ps. All I'm doing is small stuff too but it's always going to take everyone coming together to change things so each small thing is adding to that wave ;)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 08:25:27 am »
That's not to mention local community issues such as Hampshire needing to cut back on libraries ( which I consider an important community resource ). So for those letters and emails and CAT meetings and surveys.
Would you believe less people ( about half the amount ) participated in my local councils community survey of housing plans than there are houses being planned to be built.

Thanks.

Yes I would believe it, sadly.

I take it you've participated in the libraries consultation, and encouraged people you know to do so, too?
(From the Metta Sutta)

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 12:18:20 pm »

I also use Ecosia almost exclusively (sometimes I have to break out Google, but normally I can find what I need in Ecosia), and Amazon Smile (and I think I have it set for WWF as well lol).  I recently bought some charity dice that also planted trees in Australia for every dollar spent, so sometimes I find odd ways like that to help.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 05:45:48 pm »
Thanks.

Yes I would believe it, sadly.

I take it you've participated in the libraries consultation, and encouraged people you know to do so, too?

I certainly have participated although I feel I could have done much more to get others to do so. There's still a few weeks so that's something I need to rectify.
With the housing my attempts to get my family interested ended with ' I'm not bothered. It's not my problem' which I have to admit upset me.   

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 05:58:44 pm »
I certainly have participated although I feel I could have done much more to get others to do so. There's still a few weeks so that's something I need to rectify.
With the housing my attempts to get my family interested ended with ' I'm not bothered. It's not my problem' which I have to admit upset me.

If I'm honest I have to do a lot better. Getting other people involved in things is a lot harder than shouting on my own from a distance.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 10:55:09 pm »
Getting other people involved in things is a lot harder than shouting on my own from a distance.

It is - don't be too hard on yourself, but just keep trying.

It can be upsetting but we can't force people if they're stubbornly of that mindset, all we can do is educate and encourage.

I also use Ecosia almost exclusively (sometimes I have to break out Google, but normally I can find what I need in Ecosia)

Same here.
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 10:58:43 pm »

(Snip)

Anyone seen the film Dark Water?   Anecdotally, I heard it's a well made film - based on a  real situation (which I'm told still isn't rectified).
(From the Metta Sutta)

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 04:53:22 pm »
It is - don't be too hard on yourself, but just keep trying.

Thanks Perdita.
Sorry, I'm not as great a campaigner as I've realised I tend to show myself as - I guess thats who I hope to be.. So I'll keep trying til I get there :)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 05:36:21 pm »
Thanks Perdita.

And, hey, give yourself some credit, too - creating a blog is not nothing, y'know?
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: