Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: 21-Year-old Man impregnates 11-year-old girl  (Read 7511 times)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: 21-Year-old Man impregnates 11-year-old girl
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2013, 06:40:34 am »
Quote from: Violet Skies;104603
I completely agree with this.  I don`t care if I walk into a bar in a bikini, smelling and looking as sexy and vulnerable as hell, that doesn`t give anyone permission to have sex with me against my will.  When you start talking about precautions (although necessary, thanks to the world we live in and lack of willingness for society as a whole to change our culture so that rape is unacceptable on a basic level), you do start making it the victims fault if something does occur.  And the argument has definetly been made by guys before that "she was practically asking for it" because she did this or because she did that or dressed this or that way (the "look what you made me do" defense).  But, none of that matters because if the girl says "no" it means "no" and no one should be fool enough to violate that.  It becomes even trickier in the case of children, though, because many times they don`t know they have the right to refuse (due to coercian or threats and the like).  Not that the perp would necessarily listen anyway.

The fundamental failing to me is not just 'no means no' but YES means yes. Anything else? IS NOT YES. A sober clear yes = yes. PERIOD in my playbook.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2013, 07:52:40 am »
Quote from: Asch;104605
The fundamental failing to me is not just 'no means no' but YES means yes. Anything else? IS NOT YES. A sober clear yes = yes. PERIOD in my playbook.

This argument is one I came across only recently.  It makes so much sense it's almost an epiphany.
And here I am scribbling down notes, to pass on this good stuff to my kids.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 01:00:10 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;104600
I just want to nudge in, additionally, especially when we're talking about kids, is people not raping is safety.

You're absolutely correct- I apologize for the poor wording.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2013, 01:04:02 pm »
Quote from: Asch;104605

I actively consider "no means no" pushed as a response to ... well, lots of everything, in my childhood, really ... to be part of the circumstances that led to my first sexual assault.

You see, I was under the illusion that I would be asked.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2013, 01:31:49 pm »
Quote from: darkhawk;104643
i actively consider "no means no" pushed as a response to ... Well, lots of everything, in my childhood, really ... To be part of the circumstances that led to my first sexual assault.

You see, i was under the illusion that i would be asked.

this.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2013, 09:29:02 am »
Quote from: Violet Skies;104603
It becomes even trickier in the case of children, though, because many times they don`t know they have the right to refuse (due to coercian or threats and the like).  Not that the perp would necessarily listen anyway.

Others have addressed this (and very well, too), but I want to be direct and explicit and specific about it.

What children have (in theory, not practice; see below) is not a right to refuse, but a right to not have their bodily autonomy and personal sovereignty tampered with, whether or not they refused.

It's not just that perps won't listen, it's that they won't provide an opportunity for refusal in the first place (see also, what Darkhawk said).

And, never mind coercion and threats and such, kids mostly aren't aware of their right to refuse because, very often, we teach them they don't have one.  Oh, sure, we tell them all about Stranger Danger and Those Creepy People and such, and that they should say 'no' to Those People - but then we turn around and override their 'no' when they don't want to kiss Grandma. Basically, they learn that there are people they're supposed to say 'no' to, and people they're not allowed to say 'no' to.  The latter doesn't include a right to refuse at all; the former isn't their right to refuse, it's our (adults'/parents') 'no' not their own.  The message being sent is that they don't have a legitimate 'no' of their own.

Stats from the RAINN website:
93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker.
  • 34.2% of attackers were family members.
  • 58.7% were acquaintances.
  • Only 7% of the perpetrators were strangers to the victim.

I keep wondering, in this convo, whether the rapist 'snuck in' by being 'the neighbor who looks in on her from time to time', and thus someone she felt she couldn't lock the door against.

Sunflower
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:30:00 am by SunflowerP »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2013, 12:03:50 am »
Quote from: Valentine;104600
I just want to nudge in, additionally, especially when we're talking about kids, is people not raping is safety.  Statistically the majority of rapes are perpetrated by men, absolutely absolutely true, and also, I see too many people living under the illusion that women don't also sometimes perpetrate rape or abuse, and that narrative goes bad places--like not noticing abuse in lesbian communities, or making a space "safe" by getting rid of men (or trans women) as though women are always, axiomatically safe.  Locking a door doesn't help if it's the kid's parent perpetrating, for instance.  So much of rape is about power differentials, and kids don't have power over much of anyone.

http://www.yourtango.com/experts/mary-jo-rapini/female-teachers-sex-students-why

Or in schools.  Female teachers raping male students, although the story calls it "sex" not rape.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2013, 05:06:44 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;103699
Plus, although most (if not all) states do have laws about the minimum age for leaving a child unsupervised (and the age does vary by state), many parents aren't even aware that such laws exist.  Boggles my mind.

I'm not sure if it is a law in texas, but a child under 12 that will be left unsupervised by jury duty is grounds for exemption.  Just found out. Not sure what the rules in champaign were, lived there for 37 years, never got called, here less than a year and got it.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Tags: