Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Right-wingers Sue to Invalidate Same-Sex Marriage in NY  (Read 4908 times)

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Right-wingers Sue to Invalidate Same-Sex Marriage in NY
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 07:58:23 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;8773
No impact at all, as far as I can tell. Not that I expected one -- the opponents of gay marriage never could tell me just how gays marrying would negatively affect my hetero marriage to Lyric. Gays have been able to marry in various US states and other countries for several years now and I've observed no effects of any type on my marriage.

That is what I have always wondered. How, can someone you don't know getting married affect your marrage? That argument always did seem to be strange.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 09:25:55 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;8773
No impact at all, as far as I can tell. Not that I expected one -- the opponents of gay marriage never could tell me just how gays marrying would negatively affect my hetero marriage to Lyric. Gays have been able to marry in various US states and other countries for several years now and I've observed no effects of any type on my marriage.

I'd have to wade thru their websites to be sure, but I think the arguement wasn't about directly impacting individual marriages.  It's the overall institution. Problem they have is they can't give any specific reason or ways it will negatively impact hetro marriages.

Now, it is also possible it will positively impact hetro marriages. With the big political / legal push (at least to an outside observer) for same-sex marriage, there might be more social pressure on gays and lesbians to get married, from both the GLBT community and from straight friends / family. This might lead to a similar pressure for striaght people to get married rather than informally live together.

Similarly, with gays being able to adopt easier because they ear married, their may also be more social pressure for straights to get married and be responsible for the children they produce.

Randall, do you remember what good a glass dagger is good for?

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 07:07:29 am »
Quote from: Altair;8435
When a pair of 80-something lesbians came outside for the first time as a married couple--one of them in a wheelchair--I became an instant wedding cliche and actually cried tears of joy. They were so cute, it was so wonderful that they could do this before they died, and it was all so awesomely exuberant.

Love wins out.

Was that #12?

60 Awesome Portraits Of Gay Couples Just Married In New York State

My favourite's #28. Love the stubble, lol.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 05:00:41 pm »
Quote from: sailor;8824
I'd have to wade thru their websites to be sure, but I think the arguement wasn't about directly impacting individual marriages.  It's the overall institution. Problem they have is they can't give any specific reason or ways it will negatively impact hetro marriages.

Now, it is also possible it will positively impact hetro marriages. With the big political / legal push (at least to an outside observer) for same-sex marriage, there might be more social pressure on gays and lesbians to get married, from both the GLBT community and from straight friends / family. This might lead to a similar pressure for striaght people to get married rather than informally live together.

Similarly, with gays being able to adopt easier because they ear married, their may also be more social pressure for straights to get married and be responsible for the children they produce.

Randall, do you remember what good a glass dagger is good for?

one of the girls at work got married last wednesday.  She's the 'groom', but they are taking the 'bride's' last name.  And you could just see the consternation on a couple of the people that we know are really anti gay when she was talking about it.  Like how could they say she shouldn't be married?  If she's having sex she should be married and monogamous according to their beliefs, how can they criticize that out loud.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 05:23:02 pm »
Quote from: mandrina;9016
one of the girls at work got married last wednesday.  She's the 'groom', but they are taking the 'bride's' last name.  And you could just see the consternation on a couple of the people that we know are really anti gay when she was talking about it.  Like how could they say she shouldn't be married?  If she's having sex she should be married and monogamous according to their beliefs, how can they criticize that out loud.

Which set of beliefs? Liberal Christian? Conservative Muslim?  If you don't specify the belief system, you can't get an answer.

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 05:41:52 pm »
Quote from: sailor;9024
Which set of beliefs? Liberal Christian? Conservative Muslim?  If you don't specify the belief system, you can't get an answer.

In their particular case, we're talking conservative CHristian, black variety.  I wasn't really looking for an answer from you.  They were the ones having a problem trying to figure out how to respond within their system as to why this was bad, having verbally espoused the no sex without monogamous marriage belief very recently.  I still doubt the couple would be welcome in their church, but at the same time, now the demand can be made of gays that once married, they should be as monogamous as the heteros.

Of course, given the rate of affairs among married folk, I doubt that will give most of them much problem.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 07:24:41 am »
Quote from: treekisser;8910
Was that #12?

It was. Seriously, I was THIS close to bawling. My Vulcan rep is shot.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 04:12:01 pm »
Quote from: Wood Rose;8794
That is what I have always wondered. How, can someone you don't know getting married affect your marrage? That argument always did seem to be strange.

Well you know... booking a decent hall, finding a good caterer, and getting a reasonably entertaining DJ is hard enough these days! I'm telling you, come next June, there will be rioting in the streets! After all, there are only so many pastry chefs to go around!

It's the end of the world as we know it, I'm sure! :rolleye::

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:37 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;8770
I think I caught part of a news story on The Today Show this past Monday; they were talking about how same-sex marriage was impacting hetero marriage. Supposedly the anti-SSM argument is that SSM is destroying "the institution of marriage", but the numbers over the last decade or so indicates that more people are staying married, regardless of the sex of the partners. (Mind you, I was getting ready for work while this segment was airing, so I may not have heard everything accurately.)

My guess would be that it has nothing to do w/SSM, and everything to do w/more people being unable to afford to divorce, since it costs a small fortune to split a household.
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Pyperlie

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 01:32:11 pm »
Quote from: treekisser;8910
Was that #12?

My favourite's #28. Love the stubble, lol.

Honestly, I'm surprised how young some of those couples are.  I generally think getting married young is a bad idea, but I must admit a couple of those really young couples are cute together.
Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being ... it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”
~~The Patrician, Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 09:43:02 am »
Quote from: Pyperlie;10803
My guess would be that it has nothing to do w/SSM, and everything to do w/more people being unable to afford to divorce, since it costs a small fortune to split a household.

My guess is that when in comes down to it, the only effect that SSM will have on the marriage and divorce rate is the change in the rate that happens when they are added to the mix of marriages and divorces, but that ssm rate will not affect the hetero rate itself.  I agree that 'effect' on the divorce rate is probably more economics than anything else.
Katrina

Tags: