collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 26 November 2020: $636 donated. Only $74 more needed! Thank you, donors!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


* Recent Posts

Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Today at 03:37:43 am]


Re: Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 06:51:33 pm]


Re: Crazy thought by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 06:18:59 pm]


Calendar for Ancient Greek Holidays by Delphinium
[Yesterday at 04:55:01 pm]


Re: Tigereye by sevensons
[Yesterday at 04:09:16 pm]

Author Topic: "Gang of Eight' freezes out gay immigrents from bill  (Read 1156 times)

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
"Gang of Eight' freezes out gay immigrents from bill
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:28:18 pm »
I'm posting this because I don't know if any of you seen this. This will be my last post of the day.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/01/gang_of_eight_freezes_out_gay_immigrants_in_reform_bill/singleton/twitter.com/kmcdonovgh/

sailor

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1505
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Gang of Eight' freezes out gay immigrents from bill
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:57:41 am »
Quote from: FollowerofOdin;107328
I'm posting this because I don't know if any of you seen this. This will be my last post of the day.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/01/gang_of_eight_freezes_out_gay_immigrants_in_reform_bill/singleton/twitter.com/kmcdonovgh/

 
Same issue as the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell had.  Including the DREAM Act was a deal breaker for enough Democrats and Republicans that repeal was dead until Lieberman introduced a bill that didn't include the DREAM Act in the DADT repeal.  Gee, even a number of Republicans voted for DADT repeal.

You can get 99% of what you want or try for 100% and get nothing. Come back in a year and it won't be a problem probably.

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Gang of Eight' freezes out gay immigrents from bill
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:36:19 pm »
Quote from: sailor;107349
Same issue as the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell had.  Including the DREAM Act was a deal breaker for enough Democrats and Republicans that repeal was dead until Lieberman introduced a bill that didn't include the DREAM Act in the DADT repeal.  Gee, even a number of Republicans voted for DADT repeal.

You can get 99% of what you want or try for 100% and get nothing. Come back in a year and it won't be a problem probably.

 
True, but it's like watching two dogs fight over a bone. It's pathetic and stupid! The immigrant advocates want their people to have a green card, but doesn't want the gay immigrants to have one. The gay rights advocates want this amendment, even if it kills the bill. Can't we all agree on something, people :hdsk:?

Altair

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: New York, New York
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3068
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 440
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: "Gang of Eight' freezes out gay immigrents from bill
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:12:53 pm »
Quote from: sailor;107349
Same issue as the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell had.  Including the DREAM Act was a deal breaker for enough Democrats and Republicans that repeal was dead until Lieberman introduced a bill that didn't include the DREAM Act in the DADT repeal.  Gee, even a number of Republicans voted for DADT repeal.

You can get 99% of what you want or try for 100% and get nothing.


I'll heartily disagree, on several levels.

First, we should note that in the case of DADT repeal, a pro-gay measure was presumably held up because of an immigration measure attached to it. In this case the reverse is true: Republicans are saying that an immigration measure will be held up if a pro-gay measure is attached to it. The distinction is important, because while the first situation might lead one to believe that Republicans in general are open to pro-gay measures, the second shows that they decidedly are not.

Second, the situations aren't comparable. The DREAM Act had little if anything to do with military service, so attaching it to DADT would seem of marginal relevance. The pro-gay amendment proposed for the immigration bill directly addresses the immigration status of foreign nationals here in the U.S., as that bill is supposed to do. It is completely relevant...but because these particular foreigners happen to be gay, the Republicans say no way. Nice.

Quote

Come back in a year and it won't be a problem probably.


Demonstrably false. Congress has had the chance to pass standalone legislation to address the immigration injustice done to binational same-sex couples since 2000, when Congressman Jerry Nadler first introduced the Permanent Partners Immigration Act, which has been reintroduced in every Congress and has a new name, the Uniting American Families Act. It was again introduced most recently this year, as standalone legislation.

It has gone nowhere in Congress, because it has ZERO Republican sponsors. After 13 years, I don't think coming back a year from now is going to change that.

http://www.unitingamericanfamilies.net/status-of-uafa-in-congress/

But the Supreme Court may. If Section 3 of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is struck down in June, as anticipated, married same-sex couples will have access to the same immigration provisions as heterosexual married couples.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

FollowerofOdin

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Dec 2012
  • Posts: 371
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Gang of Eight' freezes out gay immigrents from bill
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 11:16:49 am »
Quote from: Altair;107462
I'll heartily disagree, on several levels.

First, we should note that in the case of DADT repeal, a pro-gay measure was presumably held up because of an immigration measure attached to it. In this case the reverse is true: Republicans are saying that an immigration measure will be held up if a pro-gay measure is attached to it. The distinction is important, because while the first situation might lead one to believe that Republicans in general are open to pro-gay measures, the second shows that they decidedly are not.

Second, the situations aren't comparable. The DREAM Act had little if anything to do with military service, so attaching it to DADT would seem of marginal relevance. The pro-gay amendment proposed for the immigration bill directly addresses the immigration status of foreign nationals here in the U.S., as that bill is supposed to do. It is completely relevant...but because these particular foreigners happen to be gay, the Republicans say no way. Nice.



Demonstrably false. Congress has had the chance to pass standalone legislation to address the immigration injustice done to binational same-sex couples since 2000, when Congressman Jerry Nadler first introduced the Permanent Partners Immigration Act, which has been reintroduced in every Congress and has a new name, the Uniting American Families Act. It was again introduced most recently this year, as standalone legislation.

It has gone nowhere in Congress, because it has ZERO Republican sponsors. After 13 years, I don't think coming back a year from now is going to change that.

http://www.unitingamericanfamilies.net/status-of-uafa-in-congress/

But the Supreme Court may. If Section 3 of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is struck down in June, as anticipated, married same-sex couples will have access to the same immigration provisions as heterosexual married couples.

 
Wow, you really read up on this stuff. Have you ever thought of being a reporter.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
2070 Views
Last post December 09, 2011, 12:03:31 am
by Asch
59 Replies
5880 Views
Last post January 30, 2012, 10:10:13 pm
by Smokebender
3 Replies
689 Views
Last post January 06, 2014, 02:47:20 am
by Emma Eldritch
72 Replies
8311 Views
Last post March 09, 2014, 03:05:52 pm
by sailor
0 Replies
2563 Views
Last post June 29, 2015, 03:44:50 pm
by RandallS

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 42
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal