collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Torn between Religions  (Read 12816 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Torn between Religions
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2017, 11:56:50 pm »
Why is that?  Because you're willing to place emphasis on the miracles of Jesus rather than his teachings?  That's your choice.

"Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom." - 1 Cor 1:22

Ah. A possible basis for discussion and eventual agreement. Let's see, you've known me for, what, not quite eight hours now? Certainly enough time for a few Google searches, I'm sure. Please do inform me as to how I am subordinating the teachings of Jesus to his miracles. I'm all ears.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

TheImperialCult

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Greco-Roman Polytheist
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 12:10:03 am »
Ah. A possible basis for discussion and eventual agreement. Let's see, you've known me for, what, not quite eight hours now? Certainly enough time for a few Google searches, I'm sure. Please do inform me as to how I am subordinating the teachings of Jesus to his miracles. I'm all ears.

Because you stated if the miracles are false then they are lies from hell.  What if the miracles are false and the teachings are true?  We know the miracles of Moses are false - that's a proven fact and Jesus said as much - so it's likely his teachings are also false because they are otherwise unconscionable.  So, therefore we have gospels with likely false miracles and true teachings.

The gods aren't omnipotent - never were - that's just a lie to help Moses breed psychokillers.  Like Jesus said "If I testify to myself, my testimony is not true."

TheImperialCult

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 12:28:40 am »

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 12:36:56 am »
Because you stated if the miracles are false then they are lies from hell.  What if the miracles are false and the teachings are true?  We know the miracles of Moses are false - that's a proven fact and Jesus said as much - so it's likely his teachings are also false because they are otherwise unconscionable.  So, therefore we have gospels with likely false miracles and true teachings.

I'm not buying "likely". My own communion with my God has reiterated—emphatically—that he stands behind every single word, every jot and tittle, of sacred Scripture. Even in those areas where he now has reversed or is willing to reverse his policy, if you act in accordance with his previous policy on the grounds that it is written in his Word, he will accept full responsibility for any damage which you cause and will act to set it right until you yourself realize your error and change accordingly...or until he brings you home for a little talking to. So I accept my religion, our Scriptures, and my God as a unit. [N.B.: By "my religion" I mean Christianity in the ultimate sense, not any particular denomination or local church...history shows that none of them are more than one apostate pastor or legalistic deacon away from turning from the faith.] If any one of them cannot be trusted, the whole thing collapses.

With that said, please now do me the favor of quoting the Scripture where Jesus said that the miracles of Moses were/are false.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 12:40:03 am »

Sorry, but while I'm not above referencing YouTube videos myself for color and humor, I don't make them the main point of my arguments. If you'd like me to give you serious consideration, please do me the favor of summarizing your arguments in plain text, preferably with reference links.
--------Eric H. Bowen

TheImperialCult

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 01:02:17 am »
please now do me the favor of quoting the Scripture where Jesus said that the miracles of Moses were/are false.

What does it matter?  You people never listen anyways.  It wouldn't matter if the entire world had a huge amount of evidence stacked against the Pentatuech and Jesus called Moses a liar - you'd still go on believing you have divine right to murder for his talking burning bush.

Then Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. - John 6:32

Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; your accuser is Moses, on whom you have set your hope. - John 5:45

Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the scriptures:

‘The stone that the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone;[f]
this was the Lord’s doing,
    and it is amazing in our eyes’?

Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom.[g] The one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.”[h]

When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was speaking about them. - Matthew 21:42-44

They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would be doing[a] what Abraham did, (not human sacrificing) but now you are trying to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. You are indeed doing what your father does.” They said to him, “We are not illegitimate children; we have one father, God himself.” Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now I am here. I did not come on my own, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot accept my word. You are from your father the devil, and you choose to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. - John 8:39-44

“There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate lay a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who longed to satisfy his hunger with what fell from the rich man’s table; even the dogs would come and lick his sores. The poor man died and was carried away by the angels to be with Abraham.[g] The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was being tormented, he looked up and saw Abraham far away with Lazarus by his side.[h] He called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in agony in these flames.’ But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in agony. Besides all this, between you and us a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who might want to pass from here to you cannot do so, and no one can cross from there to us.’ He said, ‘Then, father, I beg you to send him to my father’s house— for I have five brothers—that he may warn them, so that they will not also come into this place of torment.’ Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; they should listen to them.’ He said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’” - Luke 16:19-31

As for my youtube videos - I'm showing you real prophecy.  Not that trash you call "prophets" because someone said "this is the word of God!"  You have not paid attention to anything I've said - just as you have not paid attention to your Bible to know most of it is no divine authority. 

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 02:36:26 am »
As for my youtube videos - I'm showing you real prophecy.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
TheImperialCult,

You're basically spamming us with your 'real prophecy'. Both spamming and proselytizing are violations of the Cauldron Community Rules. I very strongly suggest that you go (re)read those immediately, and carefully, since the two things I've cited are not your only violations.

We do not allow blanket condemnations of religions or content that is libelous, defamatory, or hateful on the basis of (among other things) religion, which your characterizations of Judaism and Christianity are. We require members of TC to be tolerant of religions and opinions that differ from their own; you are not. And your excessive use of videos in every post, often as the only or almost only thing in the post, in place of actually making your own point or engaging in discussion, is in effect a violation of our rule about writing in a normal writing style.

You've broken enough rules, some of them quite major, that I'm issuing you not one but two strikes as of now. A third violation will earn you a one-week gag. This is subject to review by our Host, Randall, who might choose to issue the gag immediately, or to ban you permanently, if he considers your behavior to be sufficiently disruptive to our forum.

Sunflower
TC Senior Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

TheImperialCult

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 05:03:43 am »
*** MOD HAT ON ***
TheImperialCult,

You're basically spamming us with your 'real prophecy'. Both spamming and proselytizing are violations of the Cauldron Community Rules. I very strongly suggest that you go (re)read those immediately, and carefully, since the two things I've cited are not your only violations.

We do not allow blanket condemnations of religions or content that is libelous, defamatory, or hateful on the basis of (among other things) religion, which your characterizations of Judaism and Christianity are. We require members of TC to be tolerant of religions and opinions that differ from their own; you are not. And your excessive use of videos in every post, often as the only or almost only thing in the post, in place of actually making your own point or engaging in discussion, is in effect a violation of our rule about writing in a normal writing style.

You've broken enough rules, some of them quite major, that I'm issuing you not one but two strikes as of now. A third violation will earn you a one-week gag. This is subject to review by our Host, Randall, who might choose to issue the gag immediately, or to ban you permanently, if he considers your behavior to be sufficiently disruptive to our forum.

Sunflower
TC Senior Staff

I figured I wouldn't find any pagans on a pagan forum.  I'm quite literally a divinely appointed God-King and I have nobodies issuing me "strikes" for claiming divine authority.

Enjoy your forums - maybe you'll learn your place eventually.

TheImperialCult

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2017, 05:22:36 am »
*** MOD HAT ON ***
TheImperialCult,

Sunflower
TC Senior Staff

If you aren't interested in the truth - I strongly suggest you find a different occupation than trying to represent gods.

TheImperialCult

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 06:02:37 am »
*** MOD HAT ON ***
TheImperialCult,

Sunflower
TC Senior Staff

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2017, 06:06:50 am »
If you aren't interested in the truth - I strongly suggest you find a different occupation than trying to represent gods.

Matthew 7:6:

“Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

Someday I'll learn....
--------Eric H. Bowen

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2017, 06:22:59 am »

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Arguing with moderator calls is another rules violation. And no, our rules do not have exceptions for self-proclaimed gods. You have been banned.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2017, 01:19:02 am »
Matthew 7:6:

Someday I'll learn....
Hey, man, don't be too hard on yourself. That was some divinely inspired patience, surely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2017, 12:38:15 am »
The bodily resurrection of the dead (those who've fallen asleep) at the second coming of Christ. I know from personal experience that the dead do not sleep. They exist and live as tangible to themselves in their world as we are in ours.  I believe that this world is the proving ground of the soul. We are born so that we can evolve as people. We die so that we can understand how far we've travelled. Why then would any being, not matter how powerful put an end to this cycle as it would defeat the purpose all together.

For my full response to this point, see this thread.
--------Eric H. Bowen

pjsander62

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: ChristoPagan
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2017, 11:40:41 am »
*snip
"I'm quite literally a divinely appointed God-King..."
*snip*

Bwahahahahahahaha
Never rely on anyone else to tell you what to believe.