Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: TC User names. How did you choose yours?  (Read 20295 times)

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: TC User names. How did you choose yours?
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2014, 09:15:42 am »
Quote from: Arcadia;42847
Why did you choose your TC user name? Is it significant to your path? a nickname? Something you use elsewhere? etc.

I chose Redfaery more than 10 years ago as a login for the Sims site (the original Sims game.) It combined my favorite color Red with something else I liked, faeries. Voila! A name that I didn't have to add XXs or numbers to! Since then, it's been my login on just about every other forum I've frequented, because I like consistency. It was my login on Fantasy-Writers.org, where I met Stephy, it's my login on Den of Angels, it's my login on DharmaWheel, and of course, my login here.

It's gotten to the point that "Redfaery" is how I expect to be addressed on internet forums, even by people who know my real name (Anne) and would usually address me as such. Hearing someone say "Redfaery" sets off the same knee-jerk reaction as someone calling my name, because it is my name at this point.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2014, 12:19:25 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;165680
I chose Redfaery more than 10 years ago as a login for the Sims site (the original Sims game.) It combined my favorite color Red with something else I liked, faeries. Voila! A name that I didn't have to add XXs or numbers to! Since then, it's been my login on just about every other forum I've frequented, because I like consistency. It was my login on Fantasy-Writers.org, where I met Stephy, it's my login on Den of Angels, it's my login on DharmaWheel, and of course, my login here.

It's gotten to the point that "Redfaery" is how I expect to be addressed on internet forums, even by people who know my real name (Anne) and would usually address me as such. Hearing someone say "Redfaery" sets off the same knee-jerk reaction as someone calling my name, because it is my name at this point.

I like consistency myself - I have exactly two usernames for pretty much everything: ViolentSound and Mama Fortuna. The former is because I'm a huge Sisters of Mercy fan; it's taken from the lyrics to a song called '.' I've been using that since my early 20s at least, and it was my username here at TC for quite a while.

Mama Fortuna is my stage name, so it really has become something I respond to as my own. Very few people seem to catch that it's a nod to The Last Unicorn though.

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2014, 03:58:32 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;165693
I like consistency myself - I have exactly two usernames for pretty much everything: ViolentSound and Mama Fortuna. The former is because I'm a huge Sisters of Mercy fan; it's taken from the lyrics to a song called '.' I've been using that since my early 20s at least, and it was my username here at TC for quite a while.

Mama Fortuna is my stage name, so it really has become something I respond to as my own. Very few people seem to catch that it's a nod to The Last Unicorn though.

I am a fan of consistency as well, and use the same handle (or a slight numerical-gibberish variation thereon) most places.

Here isn't one of them. I've been a fan of frogs for well over two decades at this point, and while that other handle has links to that as well, it's subtle enough that I've had several people comment that they'd not noticed it. It's also (slightly) less 'serious' in terms of linguistic style.

At the time I was also marginally concerned about connecting my identity elsenet (especially the corners that are fandom and fic-related) with anything here.  That worry is basically gone now, and I'm pretty sure I've done enough to make the linkage fairly easy to make, but it does put me in a slightly different mindset. which I don't consider to be a bad thing.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2014, 02:53:06 am »

Yay consistency.  I use Drekfletch (though I usually forget to capitalize it) anywhere important online.  I use my name, Derek, if I want to be anonymous. Or at least, if I want to employ Identity Vagueness.

I didn't catch the nod because you use a different form of "mother."  Mother Fortune is enough like standard magical names that I didn't think further than, "oh, vaguely Latin/Rome."  Now, if you'd chosen Mommy Fortuna, I'd have pinged eventually.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2014, 04:24:05 am »
Quote from: drekfletch;165956
I didn't catch the nod because you use a different form of "mother."  Mother Fortune is enough like standard magical names that I didn't think further than, "oh, vaguely Latin/Rome."  Now, if you'd chosen Mommy Fortuna, I'd have pinged eventually.

'Mommy' is just a step too weird when you're taking your clothes off for my tastes. XD

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2014, 09:53:04 am »
Inspired by a thread on the old forum
User names.  

Why did you choose your TC user name? Is it significant to your path? a nickname? Something you use elsewhere? etc.

It is basically a summary of my path in a broad, overarching sense.

It's like this.  I have never been anywhere where i "belonged" in a spiritual sense.  In my Catholicism I had too much interest in magic.  When I was generic Pagan I was too much of a fan of Jesus.  When I was Asatru I basically got kicked out by the gods because I ratted out a group of Nazis to the Southern Poverty Law Center and told my Kindred about it(my Kindred was a lot more "Yay Nazis" than I thought)*.  

Even now as a Buddhist I am somewhat of an outsider because I am pretty skeptical that Nirvana is as awesome as everyone says it is.

So, basically, I am like a ghost who goes from place to place helping when I can, never staying, always drifting.  I also use variations on "wanderer" a lot because the poem below speaks to me on a very profound level.

http://www.anglo-saxons.net/hwaet/?do=get&type=text&id=wdr

*Please note, I am not saying implicitly or explicitly that all or even most Asatru are connected in any way, shape, form, or fashion to Nazism or racism.  Just that I had the poor luck to find one of said groups of Nazis who also liked Asatru.

Siran

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:42 am »

I just started mixing things and words, but a certain one stood there on my head. It was Shiran, the name for a character I created in a roleplay long ago. I just took out the h and decided I liked it, that it could very well be my name. So I chose it :)

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2014, 12:16:49 pm »
User names.  

Don't really have a decent story for it. I was reading an article on the Saxons, and the name Cuthwin stood out.

So, boom. Cuthwin.
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

Olivia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2014, 04:55:32 pm »
User names.  

I'll start..

Arcadia is a name given to me by one of my patrons. It has layered meaning. It seemed only natural for me to use it here.

If this name hadn't been available on TC I'm not entirely sure what I would have chosen..... I'm terrible at choosing names :o.

Your turn...

It's my name. I'm boring.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2014, 06:30:21 pm »
Quote from: Olivia;166055
It's my name. I'm boring.
First name club, represent!
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2014, 09:02:11 pm »
Quote from: Jack;166056
First name club, represent!

I couldn't actually name myself 'Rain', because somebody else on the forum has it, so I tacked an E on it. Rain is like the perfect representation of my brain, so that's how I chose it.

Originally my name was RainbowSnake, and I got that from a dream about a giant serpent with rainbow scales. It wasn't particularly fitting of me, but sounded cool. Lol.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2014, 12:49:08 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;165958
'Mommy' is just a step too weird when you're taking your clothes off for my tastes. XD

The taking off of clothes also adds a new dimension to the statement "Mommy Fortuna and her homemade horrors."
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Nerine

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:45 pm »

lols I totally got the reference one of my favorite movies!
Can I play with madness? - Iron Maiden

Nerine

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:16 pm »
Quote from: Nerine;166131
lols I totally got the reference one of my favorite movies!

forgot to add my names simple I wanted to name one of my kids this but chose something better so now I get to use it for online use don't use my real name if I can help it
Can I play with madness? - Iron Maiden

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2014, 10:11:58 pm »
Quote from: drekfletch;166114
The taking off of clothes also adds a new dimension to the statement "Mommy Fortuna and her homemade horrors."

Oh hell yeah! XD I do produce horror shows, so I'm going to have to make that joke soon.

Tags: