Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: TC User names. How did you choose yours?  (Read 20449 times)

woodhick

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: TC User names. How did you choose yours?
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2012, 11:03:54 pm »
Quote from: Arcadia;42847
Inspired by a thread on the old forum
User names.  

Why did you choose your TC user name? Is it significant to your path? a nickname? Something you use elsewhere? etc.

mine is a part of a nickname that I acquired over the years. I work in the woods and am often the only girl, so the guys started calling me sexyass woodhick and well the woodhick name stuck. Now its used for everything online and its even my call name on the CB (no cell phones where I work).
Where the wild things are is where I am most at home." - Kim Antieau

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
TC User names. How did you choose yours?
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2012, 03:08:01 am »
User names.  

Why did you choose your TC user name? Is it significant to your path? a nickname? Something you use elsewhere? etc.

I've been using it for years, since before I was a Pagan, although it's become a bit of a Pagan online/podcasting alias by default. I was looking for an internet username for a spiritual blog and to use when talking about spiritual things. Sophia means 'wisdom' or gnosis and, in Gnosticism, represents the soul's journey towards gnosis. (Some modern Gnostics see her as a goddess, but I'm not at all sure that's what she represented to the early Gnostics, if you read their texts.) I put Sophia first and the name of my patron saint (Catherine of Alexandria) second, in imitation of nuns' patterns of 'Mary [saint's name]' - geeky, but I liked that way of honouring patrons.

In some ways it no longer works as a spiritual name now that I'm a Pagan, but nothing else that I've tried fits. For Druidry-related things I've used Leithin, after the eagle in the Irish folk tale, as a sort of 'initiatory stage' alias. Sophia C still sums up my spiritual journey the best.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Green Thumb

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14:52 pm »
User names.  

I chose mine, Green Thumb, based off of my obsession with plants and gardening. I have acquired nicknames that have to do with my love for plants but they are a bit biased offer more about me than I am willing to give out
~E

Son_of_Sekhmet

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2012, 03:43:17 am »
User names.  

Your turn...

I did a formal ritual dedication a few days ago for a very personal cause, which I am reevaluating and determined on pursuing. The name I chose represents a Goddess I have a connection to. Not only that, but to reinforce my bond and my ties, to honour that particular Goddess and reinforce my determination.

You can see my post here if you like :

http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?4858-Faith-dedication-healing-and-miracles

Son_of_Sekhmet
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:44:22 am by Son_of_Sekhmet »
If you don\'t stand for something, you\'ll fall for anything.

Aniera

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2012, 04:01:45 pm »
User names.  

I really wish I had an amazing story to go behind my name. But my story is basically I was researching old celtic/irish/welsh names. I can't even remember why now. But I came across this name and thought it was beautiful and it's stuck with me ever since. I use it for all my magical things :D
What A Shame To Have Wings & Never Fly

Becoming a mother is my greatest achievement.

Spiritual Blog: http://www.whimsicalmystical.blogspot.com

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2012, 04:07:25 am »

My name came about around ten years ago, when I first began working with my patron at the time and began learning runelore. It is a combination of two words:

vitki - an Old Germanic/Norse word for magician/spellworker. "While the runemasters and volvas practiced divination, the vitki practiced active spellwork. Using tools as simple as a stone altar, a two-edged dagger, and a cauldron, along with herbs and candles, a skilled vitki could prophecy, heal the sick, banish evil, or bless people, places, and things."
Yng - a by-name of the Norse god Freyr  "He was also known with the name Ing/Yng and Ingui/Yngvi, as witnessed in the Old English Runic Poem... "

Mash the two together and you have Vitkyng. Freyr's magician.

My life and path has shifted so that I am no longer in te Grower/Lover stage of my life and Freyr has stepped back as my patron in place of the All-Father, but the name has stuck, I am still a vitki and I will ever be grateful to Freyr for his guidance in those early steps.

Rayne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »

Your turn...

Rayne is my legal middle name, and I have much more of a connection to it than to my legal first name, so I use it in daily life. (Pronounced 'rain', as in what falls from the sky)

Also useful for tongue-tying people who manage to stumble over it when they see it written. :whis:
For All That I Am..For All That I See
For All I\'m A Part Of..For All That Sees Me

sparrow

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »
User names.  

When I was just learning about pagan practices I read in some crappy 101 book that I got from the library that witches always take a magical name that is different than their mundane name. Even though I had no intention of choosing a new name, Sparrow popped into my head immediately, although I have no idea why. After looking some things up I found out I have some things in common with sparrows, and song sparrows are one of my favorite little birdies. I use it as a screen name now, although I realize it isn't terribly original. :o

maerecatha

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:45 pm »

So, I watched this show because it had Sean Bean, fell in love with a character, and went on to read the books. Still aspire to become khaleesi.

Sat around with some folks one day, discussing how (at least in our kingdom) no woman has ever won the crown by right-of-arms in the SCA, and that needed to change. I may be short, but I've danced, and I have a great center of balance, and I like challenges. Needed a name for my persona, was joking about being the SCA Nordic/Germanic version of Dany, ended up with Dagny (New Day) Drakensdottir for the symbolism and Dany-ness... and I've clung to it ever since.
~*~Mara~*~
There\'s some good in this world, and it\'s worth fighting for.
If you are brave enough to dance [...] then you are brave enough to burn

darkwhispersdale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2012, 02:17:39 pm »
User names.  

Your turn...

I originally thought it came from a name of a vale in the PC game Spellforce since replaying the game I haven't found it so I don't know where it came from.
“The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living differ from the dead.” ― Aristotle
“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ― Confucius

Sarkana-night

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2012, 05:37:27 pm »
Quote from: Drakensdottir;79253
So, I watched this show because it had Sean Bean, fell in love with a character, and went on to read the books. Still aspire to become khaleesi.

Sat around with some folks one day, discussing how (at least in our kingdom) no woman has ever won the crown by right-of-arms in the SCA, and that needed to change. I may be short, but I've danced, and I have a great center of balance, and I like challenges. Needed a name for my persona, was joking about being the SCA Nordic/Germanic version of Dany, ended up with Dagny (New Day) Drakensdottir for the symbolism and Dany-ness... and I've clung to it ever since.

Well I'm not good at old scandinavian or whatever language it actually is, but I suppose it means Dragon's daughter.

MordredRedeemed

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2012, 11:46:02 pm »

I've always been fascinated by Arthurian Legend, and i identify with Mordred because he kind of got screwed over by fate. "Redeemed" basically means breaking free of that and finding my own path.
Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes.

Larix

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2014, 05:48:30 pm »
User names.  

Larix is Latin for larch tree - "Lärche" in German.

And "Lärche" sounds  very much like my real family name.

Besides, I really like forest trees - especially larch trees! :)

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:34 pm »

Thorbjorn is Old Norse for "thunder bear". It is a genuine male name. I am devoted to Thor, and I am a husky bear. I attached Gunnar to the name because I always liked that name.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2014, 03:55:17 am »
Quote from: Sobekemiti;57137
'cymrudraco' comes from a nickname I was given by my Father Sobek some years ago, in which He called me a Welsh Dragon, which is what cymrudraco means. (My maternal family has Welsh heritage.) I started using it online a couple of years ago because I had moved on from a couple of old Pagan spaces and was looking for a new start, so it became my new username. My old nicks had been old religious and Craft names I no longer used for my path or anywhere else online.

At the time, I wanted a more generic Pagan name that I could use in general Pagan circles, a new public Craft name or something; all my other religious names are too specific to certain aspects of my path and some are secret, so there was no using those online. At the time I signed up here, cymrudraco was all I had, and I'm happy with it, even though I've got a new Craft name and my path is a little more solidly defined since then.

I can't really excuse the mashing of Welsh and Latin, though, apart from the fact cymruddraig was taken on TC, and I didn't want to modify that in such a way that I might be confused for someone else. I guess I also just like the sound of cymrudraco better. But I do feel bad for the language mash-up.

Hanging this on here for context, since I did change my username a few weeks back, and at least this gives me a chance to explain it without starting a new thread about it.

Sobekemiti is my old Kemetic Orthodox shemsu name, which means, 'Sobek is my Daddy', and I am still fond of it as a name even though I am not Kemetic Orthodox anymore. That, and well, I still like it as a name, and nothing has ever felt more 'me', I guess.

I felt it was time for a name change, since as you can see from the above quote, well, I was in a transitionary period when I joined, and I didn't know what my path was, or what name to call myself, so I used 'cymrudraco' as a placeholder until I could figure out what to use instead. I'm finally settled enough that when I discovered the forum now had the option to change your username, I decided it was time to change it from cymrudraco to Sobekemiti. So there you go.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Tags: