collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Spiritual in Christianity  (Read 1743 times)

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
Spiritual in Christianity
« on: February 04, 2020, 09:31:11 am »
In pagan terms, I have a problem defining ''spiritual''.

BUT in Christianity, the term ''spiritual'' is pretty clear: it means ''of God's''.

In Orthodox Christianity, there is a line that separates the body and the spirit. The body is mundane and it rots, when it dies. The spirit, on the other hand, communicates with God, and, after death, it represents us before God. When we do something that God likes, then we are ''spiritual''. When we commit sins of the body, then we are not spiritual.

If you have a definition of ''spiritual'', it would help me a lot. :) (I'm still searching the term).

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Spiritual in Christianity
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 01:58:04 pm »
In pagan terms, I have a problem defining ''spiritual''.

If you have a definition of ''spiritual'', it would help me a lot. :) (I'm still searching the term).

Well, for me it's about listening to/being aware ( in a deep sense ) of the great existence around and beyond yourself. That is, a sense of the flowing life/value/beingness ( can't find the word ) which is around and within us.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 03:52:26 am »
Well, for me it's about listening to/being aware ( in a deep sense ) of the great existence around and beyond yourself. That is, a sense of the flowing life/value/beingness ( can't find the word ) which is around and within us.
Do you mean objective and subjective?

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 01:46:56 pm »
Do you mean objective and subjective?

First, I'm very tired after finishing work and struggling how you mean that in reference to my answer so if I give an answer to something you didn't ask or fail to answer what you did please forgive me and feel free to let me know.
That said I'll try to cover the options here.
1/ It's very much my personal view rather than from a given source or group mindset and is tied to my nature and desires.
2/ Given that the concepts it deals with are, shall we say, fuzzy at the edges ( as far as I know theres no set measurements of what spirit or good or so many things that can be tied into or overlap spirituality are ) there's going to be a variance to the form many of us see it in.
3/ It seems to me to very much have an emotional component - whether it's the choice to follow it because you care about something or were hurt; the feeling of spiritual empathy; or the fact that so much of whats happening following that descision of path is happening within yourself.

Because of all those I'd say subjective ( both in my coming to my view and in the way I'd say spirituality is percieved and works )

Ps. Also the way we percieve the world around us and the flow of it is going to be at least a little tinged with our emotions - to remain objective would require us being a step back from the flow where I see spirituality as being part of the flow or at least having it flow over and through ones self
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:50:06 pm by Anon100 »

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 08:53:52 am »
First, I'm very tired after finishing work and struggling how you mean that in reference to my answer so if I give an answer to something you didn't ask or fail to answer what you did please forgive me and feel free to let me know.
That said I'll try to cover the options here.
1/ It's very much my personal view rather than from a given source or group mindset and is tied to my nature and desires.
2/ Given that the concepts it deals with are, shall we say, fuzzy at the edges ( as far as I know theres no set measurements of what spirit or good or so many things that can be tied into or overlap spirituality are ) there's going to be a variance to the form many of us see it in.
3/ It seems to me to very much have an emotional component - whether it's the choice to follow it because you care about something or were hurt; the feeling of spiritual empathy; or the fact that so much of whats happening following that descision of path is happening within yourself.

Because of all those I'd say subjective ( both in my coming to my view and in the way I'd say spirituality is percieved and works )

Ps. Also the way we percieve the world around us and the flow of it is going to be at least a little tinged with our emotions - to remain objective would require us being a step back from the flow where I see spirituality as being part of the flow or at least having it flow over and through ones self
Ah I see, thank you :)

Tags: