collapse

Author Topic: Saints and Orange and Lemons  (Read 2257 times)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Saints and Orange and Lemons
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »
I did a forum search on saints a while back and it does seem that people do sometimes incorporate saints from different religions into their pagan paths and I was wondering about how this happens.

Do saints come to a person like the Gods and Goddesses will at times?

Any idea why a Catholic saint and a former pope would make his name known to a pagan?

Why I ask background:
Saint Clement, Pope Clement I, has been coming up more and more frequently to me. It started in January and weeks went by before something else happened that brought him up. But now it's almost every three days that I hear or read his name. I was going to post about this a few days ago but put it off, and then the next day his name was in a newspaper I happened by in a waiting room. Just read one article and a church named for him was in it.

It took a while to figure out which Saint Clement it was, but the title of this post was the give away to finally figuring out which one. It's from and old English rhyme about churches in London, but it was also used in an 80s song. It was in January that I began singing that song out of the blue after 30 years of not hearing it. Several weeks later some stichomancy in Judika Iles' Mystics, Saints and Sages brought me to his page. And the old rhyme was featured in a documentary that I errantly clicked on in the Netflix but decided to watch because, what the heck, fate wanted it and my hands were in dishes. This was several weeks after the stichomancy. I was thrown off a few times by the other Clements, but brought back to this one with the slightly less alien shaped head.

But more appearances of his name, his symbols and that rhyme have popped up. Even in a dream before I knew which one it was, his head on a statue in a bay appeared. I thought it might have been Joseph, but after image searching the Pope, it fit Clement much better. And a black dog talked to me shortly after in the dream and told me, "Get thee to a hole and pray." (He yawned it so I don't think it was imperative.) But I went outside to my mediation spot which I still call a hole, and prayed. Not to Clement, at that time I didn't consider it might have been him. But while in the hole I remembered I wanted a lemon scented bush to at least nod to the dude who keeps popping up.

I have a huge reading list, but am adding stuff about Clement to it to see if there is something he has to teach me.

Still, it's so weird to me. I have very mixed feelings.

I've asked him, "You know I'm pagan right? So what is up with this? Are you my number 23?" Some tingles then nada.

So, if anyone cares to share if and how you deal with an entity that you would not normally cotton to, I'd love to read it.

And if anyone has experience with saints in general, that would be excellent to read too!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:53:31 pm by Annie Roonie »

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Saints and Orange and Lemons
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:46:34 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;67006
It's from and old English rhyme about churches in London, but it was also used in an 80s song.

You mean this earworm?

[video=youtube;cW-W7jCkrek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-W7jCkrek[/video]

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:50:54 pm »
Quote from: Aisling;67016
You mean this earworm?

That be the ditty! Went on a little Book of Love binge after that which lasted until end of May. Here's the nursery rhyme.

Maybe he is my frequency illusion. I guess it could be worse if so.

80s hair is not too bad in that pic on the vid. I remember much much worse.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:53:01 pm by Annie Roonie »

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 02:02:27 am »

Do saints come to a person like the Gods and Goddesses will at times?

Any idea why a Catholic saint and a former pope would make his name known to a pagan?

Why I ask background:
Saint Clement, Pope Clement I, has been coming up more and more frequently to me.

I've honored the Virgin Mary before.  She showed up for me for a little while.  

I just researched Her and offered Her a candle.  

I'd put the saints under revered ancestral spirits.  Not gods, but not John or Jane-Doe the Next door neighbor either.  

I'd suggest researching him and maybe making an altar to him.  Offer him something and see what happens.  

I'm guessing he knows you are Pagan and if he doesn't care, then why should you?   Many Pagans honor ancestors.  He's an ancestor.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:59:50 am »
I did a forum search on saints a while back and it does seem that people do sometimes incorporate saints from different religions into their pagan paths and I was wondering about how this happens.

When I hear Saints, I always simply thinks of the covered-up pagan Gods or Spirits or Ancestors that were being worshiped at that time, which were glossed over with similar Saints. For example, your Saint Clement shares the holiday and many associations with the mythical anglo-saxon Wayland the smith, who forged items for Beowulf and such.

Alternatively, Saints could also be recognized the same as an Ancestral patron, watching over descendents and those need help. I'm under the impression Saints have stuck around because they WANT to help people.

(But I have no idea as for symbolism or anything like that!)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »
Quote from: SatAset;67241
I've honored the Virgin Mary before.  She showed up for me for a little while.  

I just researched Her and offered Her a candle.  

I'd put the saints under revered ancestral spirits.  Not gods, but not John or Jane-Doe the Next door neighbor either.  

I'd suggest researching him and maybe making an altar to him.  Offer him something and see what happens.  

I'm guessing he knows you are Pagan and if he doesn't care, then why should you?   Many Pagans honor ancestors.  He's an ancestor.

This sounds like a very good idea. Thank you.

Tags: