Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Religions against knowledge, snakes and Satanism  (Read 5995 times)

MordredRedeemed

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Religions against knowledge, snakes and Satanism
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;81505
Neither Young Earth Creationism or the idea that God hates gay people is typical of Christianity as a whole - they're both largely confined to evangelical fundamentalist Protestantism.

Sunflower

I probably should have toned that post down a bit.....

I understand that the Creationist thing is held by small (but incredibly vocal) minority of Christians.  I also know that most of them don't believe god "Hates" anybody, but most Christians i have met hold the belief that God "Disapproves" of that "Lifestyle Choice"

I did make a few rash generalizations, but i still think the church promotes the idea of blind faith over scientific facts.
Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes.

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 08:38:35 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;81520
And if you cherry-pick the Bible enough, you can prove Jesus was a vampire.

I just did a quick check on Corinthians.  In context, it's talking about how the wisdom of those that "know better" than the Christians will get destroyed.  NOT all wisdom - the "wisdom" and "intelligence" of putting themselves above God.

A verse out of context means VERY little.

And to your first post, about a snake being a symbol of wisdom - to SOME they're a symbol of wisdom.  They're also a symbol of POISON and DEATH. ... poison and death taunted Eve and because of that humanity became mortal. ... yeah, that makes sense, really.

Your line of thought makes sense, about the poison and death.

But about it, I also said: "the commentary about how it [Saint Mary over the snake] could mean the destruction of knowledge was - again - more of a conspirational thing, and I don't share the mentality of these kind of extremist people. "

Well this thread is for everyone to say if whether they think it is an ignorant religion or not.

I want to say another thing, too:
 There is difference between the Church and the religion. The religion involves what the bible says plus what the believers thinks. The Church involves what the clergy says, did or does, and it is very vague. If the Church burned people alive, it doesn't mean that the Christians wanted it at the time.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 08:39:56 pm »
Quote from: MordredRedeemed;81531

I did make a few rash generalizations, but i still think the church promotes the idea of blind faith over scientific facts.

It depends on which church.  These days the Vatican is a bit more accepting of scientific facts, for example.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
Religions against knowledge, snakes and Satanism
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 08:49:34 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;81505
Neither Young Earth Creationism or the idea that God hates gay people is typical of Christianity as a whole - they're both largely confined to evangelical fundamentalist Protestantism.

Sunflower

Specifically "young earth" creationism may be a minority view, but creationism in general most certainly not, in the US: http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx

And while mainstream Xtianity may not "hate the gays," their hypocritical attitudes toward non-heteronormative people are pretty well evident.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 08:50:49 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;81534
It depends on which church.  These days the Vatican is a bit more accepting of scientific facts, for example.

It not only varies with which Christian church, but it varies with time as you just pointed out. The medieval Catholic Church had a very different view of scientific knowledge that the current Catholic Church does, for example. Between these two things, it makes most generalizations about Christianity and knowledge fairly meaningless.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 08:54:41 pm »
Quote from: Zaphaux;81405
What's so dangerous about knowledge that religions like Christianity despise so much?

[. . . ]

Do you think that christianity promotes ignorance in a shameless way?

Also, there is that illustration of Saint Mary crushing the head of the serpent
http://www.irmasgracianas.com.br/portal/images/stories/nossa-senhora-da-medalha-milagrosa-1.jpg

The thing is, when you talk about a religion as massive as Christianity, it's very difficult to determine what exactly it promotes.  So many people have read the same text and gotten completely different things out of it. On the one hand, many Christians do use their religion as, in my not particularly humble opinion, a way of shielding themselves from anything they don't want to hear.  ("The Bible says xyz, so it would be morally wrong for me to investigate opposing viewpoints.")  

On the other hand, consider that many of the early church fathers (e.g. St. Augustine, St. Jerome) were extremely well-educated.  The first Christians were mocked by many as being superstitious fools who were so credulous as to believe that Jesus really was the Messiah (and had come back from the dead!).  One way they counteracted this was by becoming educated in Greek philosophy and using that to argue for their beliefs.  I hardly think it's fair to say that they of all people promoted ignorance.  Of course, both Augustine and Jerome also had some fairly over-the-top views about sexuality --- which many Christians today would heartily disagree with.  

(And in fact, all of the Abrahamic religions have long histories of scholarship.)

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 10:21:22 pm »
Quote from: Snowdrop;81542
(And in fact, all of the Abrahamic religions have long histories of scholarship.)

And much of modern science is founded on the notion that the best way to understand the mind of the Abrahamic god is to study the world - imagined as the creation of that god - in order to figure out what makes it tick.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;81557
And much of modern science is founded on the notion that the best way to understand the mind of the Abrahamic god is to study the world - imagined as the creation of that god - in order to figure out what makes it tick.

I can't remember the exact wording, but in my Kant class (yuck!) I heard a quote that went like, "Theology is the dethroned queen of the sciences."
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 10:29:01 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;81538
Specifically "young earth" creationism may be a minority view, but creationism in general most certainly not, in the US: http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx

And while mainstream Xtianity may not "hate the gays," their hypocritical attitudes toward non-heteronormative people are pretty well evident.

Most definitely.  But MordredRedeemed was quite specific in which things he was attributing broadly to Christianity; it was those specifics I was pointing out as not being held broadly.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: