Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Prayers? Chants? Invocations? Your religious vocabulary.  (Read 3466 times)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Re: Prayers? Chants? Invocations? Your religious vocabulary.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 11:36:18 pm »
I was extremely angry and there was a lot of profanity involved and I called his existence into question. He seemed to hear me anyway.

I occasionally do that to my Gods; however, when I do, I always end up feeling ashamed and stupid, and then work twice as hard to be *extra* formal afterwards, to make up for my lapse in protocol. I'm human, and sometimes I get mad at my Gods, but I generally find that just makes *me* feel bad, and so I try to avoid it. It's like getting into a fight with a parent; it's not a pleasant feeling.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Mivi

• Apprentice
  • God divination/kut ceremony/prayerwork by apptmt!
    • View Profile
    • Website
  • Religion: 무속신앙 Mugyo
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 04:51:30 pm »
So, I was wondering, what do you say when you call upon your deity/deities? In situations when you want to praise, thank, plead with, or otherwise evoke the divine, are there any particular things you say? Do you use formal, respectful, traditional prayers, mantras, or exclamations? For example, do you say Jesu Maria, Hare Krishna, Insha Allah, Kyrie Eleison, Hallelujah, or other traditional phrases? I would really like to know what sorts of exclamations or invocations you use, especially if they are traditional!

For God as a catch-all title/name, we use 신령님 (Shinryeongnim).

But for us with our own pantheon, we typically refer to our gods fondly as 할아버지 (grandfather) and 할머니 (grandmother).
Mivi | Mudang (Korean shaman-priest)

만신

Skumring

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Rökkatru
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 10:07:56 pm »
For God as a catch-all title/name, we use 신령님 (Shinryeongnim).

But for us with our own pantheon, we typically refer to our gods fondly as 할아버지 (grandfather) and 할머니 (grandmother).

I just speak to mine. They are here with us (Norse Pantheon) and generally prefer we not ask for an easy life but that we learn to love the life we have and the struggles that strengthen us along the way. As such, I never really ask for anything from Them. I have been rewarded many times over for this with greater understanding; which I greatly prefer anyway.
Owner of Dusk's Embrace Woodworking

At Dusk's Embrace Woodworking we strive to use only naturally sourced materials to make our products out of respect and love for our home.

Facebook: @DusksEmbraceWoodworking

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 11:36:25 pm »
So, I was wondering, what do you say when you call upon your deity/deities? In situations when you want to praise, thank, plead with, or otherwise evoke the divine, are there any particular things you say? Do you use formal, respectful, traditional prayers, mantras, or exclamations? For example, do you say Jesu Maria, Hare Krishna, Insha Allah, Kyrie Eleison, Hallelujah, or other traditional phrases? I would really like to know what sorts of exclamations or invocations you use, especially if they are traditional!

EDIT: Fixed typo in thread subject line.

I tend to fall into the informal line of prayer to my deities, in that there is no set form I follow.  That being said, I have deities that are very wide-ranging on levels of formality, and I adjust accordingly.  Most of the time, I'm conversational with what I'm expressing, and this seems to suit all parties well.

I do find when I wrap up any prayer, I always say "Thank you" at the end.  Being polite has taken me far in my practice, something which I'm grateful for every day.
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

Tags: