Hello, all! by pvtSMR
[Yesterday at 05:02:24 pm]

Re: new & uncertain! by sevensons
[Yesterday at 02:07:26 am]

Re: new & uncertain! by anubisa
[Yesterday at 12:50:46 am]

Re: new & uncertain! by PerditaPickle
[January 23, 2021, 07:00:39 pm]

Author Topic: Pagans & the Unitarian Universalist churches  (Read 4462 times)

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Pagans & the Unitarian Universalist churches
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 02:25:42 pm »
Quote from: Artim Sequoia;100524
It might just be me but I seem to have noticed that many Pagans that I have talked to around my area have a problem/dislike of Unitarian Universalist churches. I'm curious about whether it has just been me or if others have thoughts on this.

Well, my experiences with UU are really limited. But my impressions:

The man who was my best friend for eleven years was from UU (obviously he and I got along) and he's the one who performed my first handfasting.

One of my aunts, who doesn't have a really clear cut way to describe/define her path that I know of is UU and it works really well for her.

And my Mom's best friend, who I also believe goes to UU services (I know she used to) is Christian and very liberal, and she also really likes it.

I like all three of those people and love a couple of them. None of them have ever had any problem with paganism.

But like I said, that's the extent of my limited experience with it.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:18 pm »
Quote from: Aett of Cups;113857
Personally, I know a few pagans who don't like the CUUPS organization, but, if any of them have told me why, I don't recall now.

Personally I've never considered CUUPS a selling point for any UU church because, frankly, the general vibe I've gotten off it is Genero-Neopagan-Wiccish and too tired to deal.

I'm sure, given the UU in general, there are CUUPS chapters that aren't like that, because the nature of congregationalism and all, but not worth the amount of effort it feels like it would take.  The UU church I consider myself associated with (despite not making it there in over a year) doesn't have a CUUPS chapter, though when I was new I was introduced to an assortmant of pagans and magicians in the congregation.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 08:11:52 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;113929
Personally I've never considered CUUPS a selling point for any UU church because, frankly, the general vibe I've gotten off it is Genero-Neopagan-Wiccish and too tired to deal.

CUUPS is not a selling point, if there are three or more members of the congregation that are also members of CUPPS, they can ask to form a chapter.  

I'm sure, given the UU in general, there are CUUPS chapters that aren't like that, because the nature of congregationalism and all, but not worth the amount of effort it feels like it would take.  The UU church I consider myself associated with (despite not making it there in over a year) doesn't have a CUUPS chapter, though when I was new I was introduced to an assortmant of pagans and magicians in the congregation.

While CUUPS chapters can do different things, usually they are limited by the knowledge, and training of their members.  In my congregation we have about 40 self identified pagans, none are interested in CUUPS (I asked), and usually four to ten will show up at a GAIA Spirit Circle event.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 05:41:41 pm »
Quote from: Artim Sequoia;100524
It might just be me but I seem to have noticed that many Pagans that I have talked to around my area have a problem/dislike of Unitarian Universalist churches. I'm curious about whether it has just been me or if others have thoughts on this.

I guess it just depends on the individual.  One of my solitary Kemetic friends is still counted as a member in a congregation in another town, but she has no other connection to it.  She liked it while she was there, though.

I've had a couple of UU friends and attended a congregation a few times.  It was humanist-centered.  I enjoyed attending as a friend and sympathizer.  I think the UU's have great values and am in general agreement with them regarding their seven principles.  However, the services were very simple, very generic, and followed no set pattern.  We might hear a reading from the Book of Mormon and a lecture on the LDS Church one Sunday and then the next just watch a movie (Religulous).  Once we looked at slides of spliced flowers.  It was a relief to be around other liberals (I'm in a very conservative area).  I think it's great, but that congregation wasn't for me.

I was a member of the online Church of the Larger Fellowship for a couple of years, but withdrew my membership when I realized I wasn't getting anything much out of online religion.

I found UU too general for me.  I've read that a lot of people in the neo-pagan community aren't too crazy about UU pagan events, mainly because of the reasons already mentioned in this thread, but every person is different.

I realized that I share UU values, but they are already contained in my spiritual path connected to my myths and rituals, whether ones I've created or those of my own Episcopalian (Anglo-Catholic) tradition, so I don't need the UU extra layer.  The only congregation I have had occasional access to doesn't have a set pattern of worship or liturgical year, so that doesn't really suit my needs.

When I'm in a more diverse area (I'm stuck in the Bible belt) I think I'd like to occasionally attend UU services or events and maybe get involved in some activism through the community -- UU's are great for that.  But I think I'll just remain a friend of UU's and not take it further than that.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Tags: