Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: I decided to become Catholic today  (Read 5820 times)

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: I decided to become Catholic today
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 11:53:08 pm »
I have experienced alot of religious confusion because of past severe abuse but today I decided to become Catholic. I did so because I have a connection to Jesus and Mary and I still feel Mary is like my Goddess Hecate.  I was baptized Catholic as a baby. I will still not be able to practice openly, I'll have to do so in private because my family and friends are Christian and are not comfortable with Catholicism. I think it is Mary and Jesus that made me want to become Catholic. Mary has attracted me for a long time and I see her as interchangeable with my Goddess Hecate. Id love to hear what people thing about this. I feel a lot of peace in my heart about the decision.

As someone who did become Roman Catholic a bit over a year ago, my only advice is: don't do it. While the community is nice, and I have made some good friends in the Catholic Church, it's pretty spiritually barren and the modern liturgy is underwhelming. Aside from a few old ladies in a rosary group, there is even very little Marian devotion. There are fringe groups of Traditional Latin Mass Catholics who have all the bells and smells, but they are pretty wacko and generally unpleasant. It's not very edifying to be around such angry, negative people who also hold some very problematic social views.

If you are looking for something esthetically similar, I would highly recommend looking into whether there is an Anglo-Catholic (high church Episcopalian/Anglican) parish near you, as the liturgy tends to be more traditional than most Roman parishes and the music is definitely much more beautiful, yet you aren't required to buy into any dogmas or difficult teachings. I still miss my old Anglo-Catholic parish a lot. There are also Old Catholics and more liberal breakaway groups from the Roman Catholic Church. That said, if you are happy just adding Jesus and Mary to your personal devotions and don't need something organized and communal, go for it.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 03:07:16 am »
it's pretty spiritually barren and the modern liturgy is underwhelming. Aside from a few old ladies in a rosary group, there is even very little Marian devotion. There are fringe groups of Traditional Latin Mass Catholics who have all the bells and smells, but they are pretty wacko and generally unpleasant. It's not very edifying to be around such angry, negative people who also hold some very problematic social views.

Off topic, but I feel that the decline of the Latin Rite in modern Christianity is one of the greatest cultural tragedies of the 20th century. Latin is a beautiful liturgical language, with a deep history and tradition, and I don't understand why so few churches use it these days. The vernacular is fine for giving sermons, but the hymns and prayers should at least be given in Latin, in some churches, for those who want the traditional liturgy. The Greek rite is also very beautiful, but its historically not the rite that was used in Western Europe, Latin is, and I hate to see it fall out of use. I think Catholics, protestants, and even some Orthodox churches should consider adopting the Latin rite and holding Latin services for those who prefer them.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2017, 10:48:23 am »
As someone who did become Roman Catholic a bit over a year ago, my only advice is: don't do it. While the community is nice, and I have made some good friends in the Catholic Church, it's pretty spiritually barren and the modern liturgy is underwhelming. Aside from a few old ladies in a rosary group, there is even very little Marian devotion. There are fringe groups of Traditional Latin Mass Catholics who have all the bells and smells, but they are pretty wacko and generally unpleasant. It's not very edifying to be around such angry, negative people who also hold some very problematic social views.

I realise the point is moot since the OP has stated their disinterest in further pursuing Catholicism, but this is hands-down the worst description of the Roman Catholic Church I have ever read. Please dear god do not take whatever whitewashed Spirit of the 60s parish you apparently attend and unquestioningly apply it to the entire Church -- oh and the rude, unnecessary, and entirely false characterisation of traditional Catholics was probably better kept to yourself.

But who am I to judge?
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 02:44:50 pm »
I realise the point is moot since the OP has stated their disinterest in further pursuing Catholicism, but this is hands-down the worst description of the Roman Catholic Church I have ever read. Please dear god do not take whatever whitewashed Spirit of the 60s parish you apparently attend and unquestioningly apply it to the entire Church -- oh and the rude, unnecessary, and entirely false characterisation of traditional Catholics was probably better kept to yourself.

But who am I to judge?

I've been attending the Solemn Latin Mass for a while now for various reasons, basically because I know a lot of people there and I like the music and liturgy, but in terms of overall experience, I think I would pick a "whitewashed Spirit of the 60s" parish any day. I stand by my characterization of traditional Catholics, I think their focus is directed at things like superficial liturgical issues and enforcing misogynistic gender roles, not to mention their attitudes towards "sodomites" (a term they seem rather fond of using). For some strange reason, I just feel like Christian faith should be centered on being an extension of Christ's ministry towards caring for the vulnerable and working for God's kingdom of justice. I am personally a big supporter of Pope Francis, as I think he is fighting an uphill battle to make the Catholic Church more Christ-like, though I realize you may disagree with me. We are each entitled to our opinion.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
oh and the rude, unnecessary, and entirely false characterisation of traditional Catholics was probably better kept to yourself.

*** MOD HAT ON ***
Castus,

It is not necessary, when responding to a sweeping generalization, to instruct the person who made the generalization in how they should (refrain from) post(ing). Do not tell others how to post; if you think someone needs to be told how to post, report it, and staff will handle it if we agree that it needs done.

If you don't think it requires staff intervention, don't just fling intemperate rhetoric, sweeping generalizations of your own, a denial of the personal experience that Demophon unwisely framed as a sweeping generalization, and an insinuation that Demophon shouldn't have posted at all. Refute the generalization with arguments of substance and ideally evidence that it's not generally true, even if it's specifically true to Demophon's experience.

This is a warning, not just a reminder, because not long ago you were issued a strike when the absence of substantial argument rendered one of your posts 'personal attack' rather than 'debate'.

I'm not issuing you a strike, though, because Demophon really did present his personal experience as if it was a universal (and also using intemperate language), so there was some provocation.

Demophon,

You're not getting a staff post of your own, because you didn't break any rules. BUT do note that your personal experience is not necessarily a universal truth, and that I consider your framing of it as if it was to be provocative.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Bluerose31

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: N/A
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 01:54:03 pm »

If you are looking for something esthetically similar, I would highly recommend looking into whether there is an Anglo-Catholic (high church Episcopalian/Anglican) parish near you, as the liturgy tends to be more traditional than most Roman parishes and the music is definitely much more beautiful, yet you aren't required to buy into any dogmas or difficult teachings. I still miss my old Anglo-Catholic parish a lot. There are also Old Catholics and more liberal breakaway groups from the Roman Catholic Church. That said, if you are happy just adding Jesus and Mary to your personal devotions and don't need something organized and communal, go for it.
Thank you for sharing your experience in the Roman Catholic church. It helped me to read it and to hear about your viewpoint. I think I will end up just adding Jesus and Mary to my personal devotions. I think that will be enough for me.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 11:21:18 pm »
Off topic, but I feel that the decline of the Latin Rite in modern Christianity is one of the greatest cultural tragedies of the 20th century. Latin is a beautiful liturgical language, with a deep history and tradition, and I don't understand why so few churches use it these days. The vernacular is fine for giving sermons, but the hymns and prayers should at least be given in Latin, in some churches, for those who want the traditional liturgy. The Greek rite is also very beautiful, but its historically not the rite that was used in Western Europe, Latin is, and I hate to see it fall out of use. I think Catholics, protestants, and even some Orthodox churches should consider adopting the Latin rite and holding Latin services for those who prefer them.

The decline of the Latin rite causes me much sadness, too: I likewise consider it a cultural tragedy no matter what differences I have with the Catholic Church.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 11:26:32 pm »
The decline of the Latin rite causes me much sadness, too: I likewise consider it a cultural tragedy no matter what differences I have with the Catholic Church.

Edit -- by Latin Rite I mean the Tridentine Mass, not the Novus Ordo, though the latter is officially considered a version of the Latin rite by the church.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:21 pm »

I'm not even Christian, I'm a Sri Vaishnava Hindu, and I deeply respect the solemn Latin Rite, as well as the Greek Rite, of Christianity. I don't have to agree with their theology to understand the cultural and historical value it has.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Tags: