Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Heaven on Earth  (Read 9621 times)

Anon100

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: Heaven on Earth
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 05:06:43 am »
I guess that my point would be that this world already is magical. I don't think the world is imperfect which might be part of my original point. The world definitely needs improvements but I do not believe it is imperfect or basically flawed. Others may view diffeently. It might be splitting hairs or boil down to different use of language.i will try to write more later to clarify my position.

So, yet again I find myself in conversations which feel like they end up clarifying my thought processes of the month LOL.

I think the biggest thing in my mind with this thread is the question of whether heaven/utopia/the otherworld etc is a place that's better.
I'm going to try to write this so it makes sense but please excuse me if I make a complete pigs ear of it.

All these other worlds can exist in conjunction, like different islands without one being more or less ( as a whole ) but does our own inner self alter our place we live in, making it more or less ideal? I'm thinking of emotional balance here.. As an example of what I'm thinking ( and a mundane one as I'm still working this through ) I tend to be good at building walls around myself and used to find myself very isolated - the less walls the less isolated I was. I'm not saying that bad things wont happen to people with good hearts or any of that stuff ( which is obviously rubbish ) but rather that maybe a different mindset offers easier options to open up in dealing with life.
Anyway, something I need to mull over more

SirPalomides

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Surrealist with feet in Chinese and Western esotericism
  • Preferred Pronouns: thou/thee
Re: Heaven on Earth
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 10:43:38 am »
So one thing I reject about Abrahamic religion is the idea that the world is a terrible place and we have to work to earn a place in some afterlife heaven.

I don't think that is a fair summary of standard views in Judaism, Christianity, or Islam. Since I am most familiar with the Christian tradition I'll speak to that- even the most neoplatonic, transcendental of the orthodox theologians maintain that the world was made good and that it will in some way be redeemed. The creation comes from God and, rightly contemplated, leads us back to God. That human beings have some role in redeeming it is also admitted. Evil comes from misuse or misapprehension of creation- it has no substance in itself. In the age to come the world will be in some way remade but not abolished.

The fully world-denying aspects of Abrahamic religion, IMO, have a lot to do with pagan influence, particularly exaggerated Platonic tendencies to disparage the realm of matter in favor of a transcendent, pure, spiritual world. Judaism as it existed in the time of Christ was very influenced by the Hellenistic intellectual atmosphere and this is much in evidence in the letters of St Paul. That's a tricky discussion maybe for another time though... 

Tags: