Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Gods as riddle  (Read 2918 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Gods as riddle
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 10:41:06 am »
Yes. Gods create morals and obey them.
all gods`. I don't think gods` morals contradict each other.
I disagree. I think that morality, per se, was not decreed but discovered...and that the process involved a lot of people, both human and divine, spending a lot of time flat on their faces before getting up to try again.

I won't say that this is divinely inspired, but when my Girlfriend is introduced as the Spirit of Wisdom in the story I'm working on, I'm having her respond, "A title that I earned by being too stupid to quit after the first ten billion times I fell on my face!" I don't think she minds one bit.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Yei

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Mexica Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 06:32:37 pm »
Yes. Gods create morals and obey them.
all gods`. I don't think gods` morals contradict each other.

Wait, do you mean that individual gods create and obey their own morals, or that gods have a collective morality which they all obey?

In the first case, I could understand the idea of gods having a 'nature' which they follow, but I'm not sure I'd call that morality exactly, as this nature may involve doing things that are definitely not moral by human standards.

In the second case this would be blatantly untrue, based on both the mythology and metaphysics of many religions the gods are always in conflict with each other.

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 10:46:56 am »
Wait, do you mean that individual gods create and obey their own morals, or that gods have a collective morality which they all obey?

In the first case, I could understand the idea of gods having a 'nature' which they follow, but I'm not sure I'd call that morality exactly, as this nature may involve doing things that are definitely not moral by human standards.

In the second case this would be blatantly untrue, based on both the mythology and metaphysics of many religions the gods are always in conflict with each other.
Each God creates their own unique morals. And they don't interfere to the morals of other Gods. So they all coexist in harmony.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 07:05:16 pm »
Each God creates their own unique morals. And they don't interfere to the morals of other Gods. So they all coexist in harmony.

Hi, Arete,

Just a quick note: I've noticed that you often express your UPGs (UPG = Unverified/Unverifiable Personal Gnosis - that is, what you personally believe) as statements of fact. While that's not a rules issue, it can make conversations more difficult, since other people are likely to dispute them by citing evidence to the contrary, or asking you to provide supporting evidence.

Since English is (I think) not your first language, you may not be aware that your word choices come across as stating what you believe as a fact that everyone else should agree with. And it probably seems to you that it should be obvious, that what people post must be what they believe. But it's very common on TC for people to include in their posts things that are factual, as well as things they believe. As well, some people do insist that the beliefs of their religion are facts that others have to accept, and that is a rules issue when it happens on TC.

So you'll probably find it helpful to include phrases like, 'I think...,' 'I believe...,' or 'In my view of the gods/the universe/etc...,' in your posts. That doesn't mean people won't respond by talking about what they disagree with, or think is inconsistent, in your posts (TC is, after all, a discussion-and-debate forum), but it'll mean they won't feel they need to say things like, 'Speak for yourself,' or, 'do not assume that your metaphysical views are the same as mine,' when replying to you.

As I said, this isn't a rules issue; I'm speaking as staff, but for the purpose of providing hopefully-helpful advice on improving your posts. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

arete

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
  • Religion: pagan
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 02:48:30 am »
Hi, Arete,

Just a quick note: I've noticed that you often express your UPGs (UPG = Unverified/Unverifiable Personal Gnosis - that is, what you personally believe) as statements of fact. While that's not a rules issue, it can make conversations more difficult, since other people are likely to dispute them by citing evidence to the contrary, or asking you to provide supporting evidence.

Since English is (I think) not your first language, you may not be aware that your word choices come across as stating what you believe as a fact that everyone else should agree with. And it probably seems to you that it should be obvious, that what people post must be what they believe. But it's very common on TC for people to include in their posts things that are factual, as well as things they believe. As well, some people do insist that the beliefs of their religion are facts that others have to accept, and that is a rules issue when it happens on TC.

So you'll probably find it helpful to include phrases like, 'I think...,' 'I believe...,' or 'In my view of the gods/the universe/etc...,' in your posts. That doesn't mean people won't respond by talking about what they disagree with, or think is inconsistent, in your posts (TC is, after all, a discussion-and-debate forum), but it'll mean they won't feel they need to say things like, 'Speak for yourself,' or, 'do not assume that your metaphysical views are the same as mine,' when replying to you.

As I said, this isn't a rules issue; I'm speaking as staff, but for the purpose of providing hopefully-helpful advice on improving your posts. No reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
Thank you! Everything I say is my personal view, I will say it.  :)

Tags: