Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Experienced Pentecost during Hindu ritual?  (Read 1700 times)

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
Experienced Pentecost during Hindu ritual?
« on: November 29, 2017, 03:45:02 pm »
I really don't know what else to call it; I was reciting the first canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam aloud, when suddenly it seemed like my words and actions were not entirely my own, as if I had been swept away by God's influence. It was not like "possession" or anything like that, I was not unconscious or out of control, I simply felt guided by an outside force, like a strong wind pulling me along. I stated pacing around the room and chanting the Sanskrit right off the page without properly reading it. It was *exactly* like the experiences I had during Pentecostal church services when I was a young child (I never felt the "holy ghost" in Church as an adult, or even as a teenager).

Has anyone else had Pentecost-type experiences during non-Christian rituals? Is there any precedent, specifically, for this behavior during Hindu rituals? My religions practice is usually rather dry and formal, and I don't normally experience any sort of preternatural sensations, so this caught me off guard!
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
Re: Experienced Pentecost during Hindu ritual?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:27:53 pm »
I really don't know what else to call it; I was reciting the first canto of the Srimad Bhagavatam aloud, when suddenly it seemed like my words and actions were not entirely my own, as if I had been swept away by God's influence. It was not like "possession" or anything like that, I was not unconscious or out of control, I simply felt guided by an outside force, like a strong wind pulling me along. I stated pacing around the room and chanting the Sanskrit right off the page without properly reading it. It was *exactly* like the experiences I had during Pentecostal church services when I was a young child (I never felt the "holy ghost" in Church as an adult, or even as a teenager).

Has anyone else had Pentecost-type experiences during non-Christian rituals? Is there any precedent, specifically, for this behavior during Hindu rituals? My religions practice is usually rather dry and formal, and I don't normally experience any sort of preternatural sensations, so this caught me off guard!
I have nothing useful to add. I will say, however, that that sounds pretty neat. Brava.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 06:28:04 am »

I had a Oneness Pentecostal background in childhood through extended family.  I left it all behind while still in my early teenage years.

There have been times like once during mindfulness meditation where I spoke in tongues -- whatever that really is -- and other times where I spontaneously began trembling with intense emotion as I did in the Pentecostal faith.

Whatever problems I perceived with that faith that led me to leave it behind, it has a deep prayer tradition that leaves its mark.  I am not sure it ever really leaves one behind once experienced.

I have had those former experiences bleed over into mindfulness and other prayers.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:22:17 am »
I really don't know what else to call it; ...

Is there any precedent, specifically, for this behavior during Hindu rituals?

It's called prema, and is a form of intense devotional love. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, believed by Gaudiya Vaishnavas to be an incarnation of Krishna, and his friend and devotee Nitai (aka Nityananda, believed to be an incarnation of Krishna's brother Balarama) were known for this. It's not common, but it's not unheard of among devotees.

Edit to add comma for clarity: incarnation of Krishna, and.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:24:48 am by Jainarayan »

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:09:03 pm »
It's called prema, and is a form of intense devotional love. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, believed by Gaudiya Vaishnavas to be an incarnation of Krishna, and his friend and devotee Nitai (aka Nityananda, believed to be an incarnation of Krishna's brother Balarama) were known for this. It's not common, but it's not unheard of among devotees.

Edit to add comma for clarity: incarnation of Krishna, and.

Thank you! That is exactly the sort of information I was looking for!
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:57:07 am »
Thank you! That is exactly the sort of information I was looking for!

Glad to help. :)

Tags: