Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Do deities from various faiths recognise each other?  (Read 2595 times)

coxy123

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Do deities from various faiths recognise each other?
« on: November 01, 2012, 05:44:01 pm »
Just as a fore-word, I dont know if this offends anyone or not, if so i'm happy to close the thread (if i can work out how!)

The other day I was thinking, with so many different paths floating about and with so many god/esses do they recognise each other or are they in thier own vaccum seperate from everything? For example, does Thor go drinking with Apollo? Do Odin and Zeus play chess with each other? I know many different deities represent the same thing so do you think they know of all the others?

Like I said earlier, this was just a thought I had and I did not mean to offend anyone by putting it up here!
A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have.

And if you haven\'t heard enough!  http://frostsworn.blogspot.co.uk/

Rayne

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Do deities from various faiths recognise each other?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:55:34 pm »
Quote from: coxy123;79187
Just as a fore-word, I dont know if this offends anyone or not, if so i'm happy to close the thread (if i can work out how!)

The other day I was thinking, with so many different paths floating about and with so many god/esses do they recognise each other or are they in thier own vaccum seperate from everything? For example, does Thor go drinking with Apollo? Do Odin and Zeus play chess with each other? I know many different deities represent the same thing so do you think they know of all the others?

Like I said earlier, this was just a thought I had and I did not mean to offend anyone by putting it up here!

It would be interesting to think of the setting where Thor and Apollo go drinking or Zeus and Odin playing chess, or even the Morrigan and Ares having a spat. I honestly hadn't though about social interactions between Pantheons before your post, but now my brain in churning.

I'm not sure if the deities would spend time on a social level with each other or not, but I'm fairly sure they know of each other. Many personal experiences are related here at TC about the interactions others have had with deity and how they have been steered in one direction or another when appealing to or attempting to interact with one that they thought was a different one.

I think this could be a very interesting discussion and after dinner I'll try to come back and share a story of my own.
For All That I Am..For All That I See
For All I\'m A Part Of..For All That Sees Me

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:03:28 pm »

I would say yes, considering it is not infrequent for a deity from one pantheon to send a follower to a deity of another pantheon to learn/work-out something.

Hekate seems at least 'acquainted' with the Morrigan, considering the tone of some references toward the latter during comunication with the former - and it's pretty much SPG that Loki and Apollon dislike each other fiercely.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 06:47:40 pm »

In my personal experience (UPG), they at least know of each other. I can't say how much they interact.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »

Given that many deities' interests/specialities/domains overlap, I would say they recognize each other. Now, as for "hanging out", I'm not sure. Right now, I have a mental image of a bunch of deities of, say, the sun, sitting around a table, chatting about work . . .

They certainly communicate with each other, since they've been known to pass around devotees for various reasons. ;)
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 08:04:36 pm »
No offense taken, surely! I mean, there's a pretty cool Gods of Other Pantheons Interacting thread going on.

But I do have this hypothesis that the otherworld isn't this homogenous non-physical plane where everything is lumped together. Some realms are as separate from one another as our physical one is to the spiritual.

And, somehow, the deities would manage to interact.

Quote from: Rayne;79188
It would be interesting to think of the setting where Thor and Apollo go drinking or Zeus and Odin playing chess, or even the Morrigan and Ares having a spat. I honestly hadn't though about social interactions between Pantheons before your post, but now my brain in churning.
There was a website I read a long time ago, where one page had this long rant about cultural misappropriation in Neo-Wicca, with a specific example of that, "You can't declare that the Morrigan is your goddess and Mars is your god! Their people have a History! These deities are enemies!"

I've also heard UPG of Manannan mac Lir and Poseidon absolutely loathing each other. My own UPG is that they have such different personalities that I can easily imagine them clashing-- but through my eye at least, it doesn't seem to have come to a head yet. Or again. I used to be very Soft-Polytheist in that I believed these were just different names for the same essence. Now that I have heard (and personally agree with) that what makes the Olympian deities so, is different from what makes the Aesir or the Kami deities...

Well, yeah, might not be that easy. Although, referring to the same essence using different languages might also still be true.

Quote from: Shine;79207
Given that many deities' interests/specialities/domains overlap, I would say they recognize each other. Now, as for "hanging out", I'm not sure. Right now, I have a mental image of a bunch of deities of, say, the sun, sitting around a table, chatting about work . . .

I love the mental picture I have right now of Amaterasu and Brighit braiding each other's hair and borrowing each other's clothes and going on over to Apollo's bar because He's hosting acoustic night, and Apollo's been trying to get Ra's number for centuries but Huitzilopochtli's always there talking to Ra and can't seem to talk about anything but work: how to weave solar flares, the proper disposal of human hearts, why we shouldn't take responsibility for global warming but nobody asked-- oh, no, Brighit's got opinions on that last one, too! I thought you were my wingwoman! Ama-chan, say something! Nooo... not about the Kyoto Protocol and The Sunshine Policy... whyyy...

They certainly communicate with each other, since they've been known to pass around devotees for various reasons. ;)
Also, this.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:06:31 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Do deities from various faiths recognise each other?
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 08:41:40 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;79202
In my personal experience (UPG), they at least know of each other. I can't say how much they interact.

This.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 12:08:01 am »

Pantheism being my belief on this part, I would say that gods linked to a thing is the thing itself. For example, for me Apollo is not only the god of music; he is the music. I'm not really depply sure of what I believe on this part though, I'm a middle-term between pantheism and politheism. Still, in my oppinion, when you pray for, say, Aphrodite for helping you in your love life, you're taking one of her aspects - love - and personifying it, so you'd be praying to the very feeling of love.

Also, my respect to these two very interesting quotes that I enjoyed:
Quote from: Shine;79207
Now, as for "hanging out", I'm not sure. Right now, I have a mental image of a bunch of deities of, say, the sun, sitting around a table, chatting about work...

Quote from: triple_entendre;79216
I love the mental picture I have right now of Amaterasu and Brighit braiding each other's hair and borrowing each other's clothes and going on over to Apollo's bar because He's hosting acoustic night, and Apollo's been trying to get Ra's number for centuries but Huitzilopochtli's always there talking to Ra and can't seem to talk about anything but work: how to weave solar flares, the proper disposal of human hearts, why we shouldn't take responsibility for global warming but nobody asked-- oh, no, Brighit's got opinions on that last one, too! I thought you were my wingwoman! Ama-chan, say something! Nooo... not about the Kyoto Protocol and The Sunshine Policy... whyyy...

Tags: