Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The Bad Food Bible: How and Why to Eat Sinfully  (Read 4767 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
The Bad Food Bible: How and Why to Eat Sinfully
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:17:40 am »
Title: The Bad Food Bible: How and Why to Eat Sinfully
(Fiction: Adult)
Author(s): Aaron Carroll, MD
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publication Date: November 2017
ISBN: 0544952561
ISBN-13: 978-0544952560
Current Price and More Info from Amazon

Description:
Physician and popular New York Times Upshot contributor Aaron Carroll mines the latest evidence to show that many “bad” ingredients actually aren’t unhealthy, and in some cases are essential to our well-being.

Advice about food can be confusing. There's usually only one thing experts can agree on: some ingredients—often the most enjoyable ones—are bad for you, full stop. But as Aaron Carroll explains, these oversimplifications are both wrong and dangerous: if we stop consuming some of our most demonized ingredients altogether, it may actually hurt us. In The Bad Food Bible, Carroll examines the scientific evidence, showing among other things that you can:  

·Eat red meat several times a week: The health effects are negligible for most people, and actually positive if you're 65 or older.
·Have a drink or two a day: As long as it's in moderation, it will protect you against cardiovascular disease without much risk.
·Enjoy a gluten-loaded bagel from time to time: It has less fat and sugar, fewer calories, and more fiber than a gluten-free one.
·Eat more salt: If your blood pressure is normal, you should be more worried about getting too little sodium than having too much.

Full of counterintuitive lessons about food we hate to love, The Bad Food Bible is for anyone who wants to forge eating habits that are sensible, sustainable, and occasionally indulgent.

Special Notes:
none

Legal Notes: Some description text and item pictures in this post may come from Amazon.com and/or the book itself.

Discussion and reviews of this book are welcome in this thread. If you've read the book, please tell us what you think of it and why.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: The Bad Food Bible: How and Why to Eat Sinfully
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:21:08 am »
·Eat red meat several times a week: The health effects are negligible for most people, and actually positive if you're 65 or older.
·Have a drink or two a day: As long as it's in moderation, it will protect you against cardiovascular disease without much risk.
·Enjoy a gluten-loaded bagel from time to time: It has less fat and sugar, fewer calories, and more fiber than a gluten-free one.
·Eat more salt: If your blood pressure is normal, you should be more worried about getting too little sodium than having too much.

Before even reading it, I like it already!
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:43:32 pm »
Me too!!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:00:49 pm »

I might have to check it out.

I already have a drink or two each day, and many people try to tell me it's not normal or healthy to do so, so this book might corroborate my views on that! Ditto for the salt thing; people worry way too much about sodium, which is only a problem when you do it in extreme excess.

As for gluten, it's not bad for you unless you have celiac disease, in which case you already know that! It's not bad for people who don't have celiac, in pretty much any way at all.

I also readily admit that meat's not unhealthy. That's not why I avoid it; I avoid it because it's (IMO) unethical and unsustainable, and because my religion explicitly prohibits eating it.

Overall, it sound like it's based on good science and not pseudoscience!

I do have to ask, before I pick the book up, one thing though:

How hard does it push eating meat? If it's all about meat eating and doesn't allow for other options, there's no point in bothering with it. Vegetarianism is not negotiable for me, and I'm not slogging through a book that praises meat every other page. If it has like, a chapter or so on meat, that's fine, but if the whole book is about that, i'll pass on it. Can anyone whose read it chime in as to whether or not this is the case?
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 06:12:16 pm »
How hard does it push eating meat? If it's all about meat eating and doesn't allow for other options, there's no point in bothering with it. Vegetarianism is not negotiable for me, and I'm not slogging through a book that praises meat every other page. If it has like, a chapter or so on meat, that's fine, but if the whole book is about that, i'll pass on it. Can anyone whose read it chime in as to whether or not this is the case?

So, there's a chapter on meat, as the book contains individual chapters on specific things, such as alcohol, artificial sweetener, organic food and so on.  It was one of the earlier chapters, and as a vegetarian myself I only skim read it (and as mentioned in a couple of other recent threads, my memory for knowledge is really not very good), so I can't really recall much of that chapter in any real detail.  But I'm pretty confident, even with my sketchy memory, that the author of this book wouldn't try to get his readers to eat meat if they have their reasons for not wanting to do so.

I think I recall some passages about the challenges of e.g. getting sufficient protein as a veggie, and it's possible that he refers to his own meat eating in some other chapters, along the lines of how he enjoys an occasional good steak.

But overall, this book definitely doesn't bang on about how people should eat meat, and from what you've said in other recent threads I suspect that you'd quite enjoy it, if you don't mind skipping the one meat chapter and overlooking the fact the author's a meat-eater.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 06:17:49 pm »

It's actually a good read - I was worried it'd be too science-heavy for me, but it's very readable.

There's a big section of notes at the back, for those who are into their science (and/or research methodologies and the such) but the main chapters of the book kept my interest through being quite engaging.

Has anyone else on here read it?
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Hariti

• Sr. Master Member
  • Kyrie Eleison
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Extremely Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/they
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 07:55:41 pm »
But overall, this book definitely doesn't bang on about how people should eat meat, and from what you've said in other recent threads I suspect that you'd quite enjoy it, if you don't mind skipping the one meat chapter and overlooking the fact the author's a meat-eater.

I don't mind that. It's not like it would offend me, I just didn't want to waste my time if that's all the book was.
"The worshippers of the gods go to them; to the manes go the ancestor-worshippers; to the Deities who preside over the elements go their worshippers; My devotees come to Me." ... "Whichever devotee desires to adore whatever such Deity with faith, in all such votaries I make that particular faith unshakable. Endowed with that faith, a votary performs the worship of that particular deity and obtains the fruits thereof, these being granted by Me alone." - Sri Krishna

Tags: