collapse

* Recent Posts

Re: new & uncertain! by PerditaPickle
[Yesterday at 07:00:39 pm]


Re: Back pain by Micheál
[Yesterday at 06:42:53 am]


Re: Favorite Beer? by Micheál
[Yesterday at 06:31:29 am]


new & uncertain! by shoemakerlevy9
[January 22, 2021, 01:36:47 pm]


Re: Pagan Traitor Storms the US Capitol? by Altair
[January 22, 2021, 12:44:20 pm]

Author Topic: OBOD and scholarly  (Read 2713 times)

zamotcr

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 65
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
OBOD and scholarly
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:26:35 am »
Hello!

I'm currently a member of ADF and so far I like it. I like to study scholarly sound material, books, and such. But, I feel that ADF is too limiting to my practice. Preferable to choose one IE Hearth Culture, I have too, trying to stick IE is preferred for personal practice but not required (I have Asian influences and I like it). Trying to believe what ancients did... But I do like also what modern druids do, not only ancient ones.

So I got a lot of interest in OBOD, specially because it can serve as a spiritual path rather than a religion. In their website it is explained that OBOD Druidry is compatible with other paths and religions, like Buddhism and Tao and this is what I'm liking from it. I do like a lot Celtic mythology, but in my personal practice I find hard to stop there, I have a lot of influences from Buddhism and Taoism. And this influences are making me think of OBOD, because it is said to be compatible with those paths, and with my already IE gods (the working I have done in ADF).

The problem is: I have heard a lot about the sources that OBOD use. It is often said that OBOD is inaccurate, using poor and bad sources, that is fluffy, etc, etc. I would like to know, from people in the course, examples of this, if it's possible. I know that OBOD is about modern druidry, not ancient one.

Of course, I pretend to balance what I can between ADF and OBOD. I have the ADF sources to know better about ancient ones, and OBOD to know about modern ones.

Thanks so much. I hope I have explained myself..

RandallS

  • Site Admin
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: NE Ohio
  • Posts: 10271
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 284
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:41:41 am »
Quote from: zamotcr;148554
The problem is: I have heard a lot about the sources that OBOD use. It is often said that OBOD is inaccurate, using poor and bad sources, that is fluffy, etc, etc.

All of that could be true, but would not really affect the validity of the religion as a religion. However, it might affect how well it works for you. :)
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Sophia C

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: London, UK
  • *
  • Posts: 2017
  • Country: gb
  • Total likes: 59
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Pagan & Christian heretic. Druid, Gaelic-ish polytheist, some other influences
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:51 am »
Quote from: zamotcr;148554
Hello!

I'm currently a member of ADF and so far I like it. I like to study scholarly sound material, books, and such. But, I feel that ADF is too limiting to my practice. Preferable to choose one IE Hearth Culture, I have too, trying to stick IE is preferred for personal practice but not required (I have Asian influences and I like it). Trying to believe what ancients did... But I do like also what modern druids do, not only ancient ones.

So I got a lot of interest in OBOD, specially because it can serve as a spiritual path rather than a religion. In their website it is explained that OBOD Druidry is compatible with other paths and religions, like Buddhism and Tao and this is what I'm liking from it. I do like a lot Celtic mythology, but in my personal practice I find hard to stop there, I have a lot of influences from Buddhism and Taoism. And this influences are making me think of OBOD, because it is said to be compatible with those paths, and with my already IE gods (the working I have done in ADF).

The problem is: I have heard a lot about the sources that OBOD use. It is often said that OBOD is inaccurate, using poor and bad sources, that is fluffy, etc, etc. I would like to know, from people in the course, examples of this, if it's possible. I know that OBOD is about modern druidry, not ancient one.

Of course, I pretend to balance what I can between ADF and OBOD. I have the ADF sources to know better about ancient ones, and OBOD to know about modern ones.

Thanks so much. I hope I have explained myself..

I think a lot of people misinterpret what OBOD is doing. They treat it like a recon religion. It's not -  it's a spiritual and magical path, more a philosophy than a religion, and using mythic truth more than literal. They encourage people to do academic research if they want to, and to learn everything they think will be useful. However,  their focus is not reconstructionism.

In many ways, I find OBOD more honest about where modern Druidry came from, and what it is, than some other orders that try to go in a fundamentalist direction. It's certainly more useful for me in many ways. But I'm constantly torn between recon and mythic truth anyway,  so I may not be your best guide to the subject.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

zamotcr

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Oct 2013
  • Posts: 65
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:12:31 am »
Quote from: Naomi J;148625
I think a lot of people misinterpret what OBOD is doing. They treat it like a recon religion. It's not -  it's a spiritual and magical path, more a philosophy than a religion, and using mythic truth more than literal. They encourage people to do academic research if they want to, and to learn everything they think will be useful. However,  their focus is not reconstructionism.

In many ways, I find OBOD more honest about where modern Druidry came from, and what it is, than some other orders that try to go in a fundamentalist direction. It's certainly more useful for me in many ways. But I'm constantly torn between recon and mythic truth anyway,  so I may not be your best guide to the subject.

 
Thanks so much Naomi. I do really like the mythic truth more than literal. I want to work building my spirituality, and I see that OBOD allows me and can guide me to do that. Also I do like its inclusiveness, because I can even change in my beliefs and I can still be welcome in OBOD, I can even have some "outside" influences, like eastern beliefs and still be welcomed and still working on the druidry side! I do like that :D

Raincloud

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 13
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:24:44 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;148554
Hello!

I'm currently a member of ADF and so far I like it. I like to study scholarly sound material, books, and such. But, I feel that ADF is too limiting to my practice. Preferable to choose one IE Hearth Culture, I have too, trying to stick IE is preferred for personal practice but not required (I have Asian influences and I like it). Trying to believe what ancients did... But I do like also what modern druids do, not only ancient ones.

So I got a lot of interest in OBOD, specially because it can serve as a spiritual path rather than a religion. In their website it is explained that OBOD Druidry is compatible with other paths and religions, like Buddhism and Tao and this is what I'm liking from it. I do like a lot Celtic mythology, but in my personal practice I find hard to stop there, I have a lot of influences from Buddhism and Taoism. And this influences are making me think of OBOD, because it is said to be compatible with those paths, and with my already IE gods (the working I have done in ADF).

The problem is: I have heard a lot about the sources that OBOD use. It is often said that OBOD is inaccurate, using poor and bad sources, that is fluffy, etc, etc. I would like to know, from people in the course, examples of this, if it's possible. I know that OBOD is about modern druidry, not ancient one.

Of course, I pretend to balance what I can between ADF and OBOD. I have the ADF sources to know better about ancient ones, and OBOD to know about modern ones.

Thanks so much. I hope I have explained myself..

 
This might interest you.
http://www.druidry.org/events-projects/mount-haemus-award

Sophia C

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Aug 2012
  • Location: London, UK
  • *
  • Posts: 2017
  • Country: gb
  • Total likes: 59
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Pagan & Christian heretic. Druid, Gaelic-ish polytheist, some other influences
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 04:58:06 am »
Quote from: Raincloud;149546
This might interest you.
http://www.druidry.org/events-projects/mount-haemus-award

Oh, I'd forgotten about the Mount Haemus award. Some interesting scholars have written lectures for OBOD via that. Hutton included.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

ArcadiaExeter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 7
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 12:33:26 am »
Quote from: zamotcr;148554
I would like to know, from people in the course..

 
I know this is a fairly old thread that im digging up but i too have questions about OBOD and i would like to hear from members on it as well.

I have read a lot about different druidic groups and OBOD seems to fit pretty well what i am looking for. My only concern is that in being such an open minded and all inclusive group its hard to get an idea of what exactly it is teaching.

I understand that it is meant as a spiritual path that you can take and fit into whatever your religion is, but if its that all encompassing then what are they teaching? and if they have set things that they teach then doesn't that make those things beliefs and therefor make OBOD a religion?

I guess im just looking for more detail into what is taught before i pay money to learn it lol Any help is appreciated.

Kate

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2013
  • Posts: 25
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 03:18:50 pm »
Quote from: ArcadiaExeter;152194
I know this is a fairly old thread that im digging up but i too have questions about OBOD and i would like to hear from members on it as well.

I have read a lot about different druidic groups and OBOD seems to fit pretty well what i am looking for. My only concern is that in being such an open minded and all inclusive group its hard to get an idea of what exactly it is teaching.

I understand that it is meant as a spiritual path that you can take and fit into whatever your religion is, but if its that all encompassing then what are they teaching? and if they have set things that they teach then doesn't that make those things beliefs and therefor make OBOD a religion?

I guess im just looking for more detail into what is taught before i pay money to learn it lol Any help is appreciated.

 
I think that it is more focussed than the previous conversation might make out. There is a definite organised path of teaching, but it doesn't teach "This is true" so much as "What can this teach us? How do you interpret this? What do you want to take from this?"

The lessons or gwersi are organised quite consistently: they recount a part of the myth (the Bardic grade uses Taliesin), given some interpretations/invitation for reflection, and then practical exercises (i.e. meditation or creative exercises).

It does very much stick within a framed mythos, but they also leave room for personal changes such as forms of address, you can use "I thank the God/Goddess/Spirit/Deities (delete as appropriate)" and so you can tailor that to your own comfort level. I am an Atheist, personally, and so I tend to use spirit with a small s to represent what I interpret the higher power as being, which is just nature in general.

There is no set text, there is no claim for anything to be a set in stone guide, it's all just about exploring your own relationship with the material. More "What can Druidry add to my life?" instead of "What do I have to do to be a Druid?"

ArcadiaExeter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 7
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:42:21 pm »
Quote from: Kate;152619
I think that it is more focussed than the previous conversation might make out. There is a definite organised path of teaching, but it doesn't teach "This is true" so much as "What can this teach us? How do you interpret this? What do you want to take from this?"

The lessons or gwersi are organised quite consistently: they recount a part of the myth (the Bardic grade uses Taliesin), given some interpretations/invitation for reflection, and then practical exercises (i.e. meditation or creative exercises).

It does very much stick within a framed mythos, but they also leave room for personal changes such as forms of address, you can use "I thank the God/Goddess/Spirit/Deities (delete as appropriate)" and so you can tailor that to your own comfort level. I am an Atheist, personally, and so I tend to use spirit with a small s to represent what I interpret the higher power as being, which is just nature in general.

There is no set text, there is no claim for anything to be a set in stone guide, it's all just about exploring your own relationship with the material. More "What can Druidry add to my life?" instead of "What do I have to do to be a Druid?"


thank you very much this is exactly the kind of info i was looking for. I have ordered the introductory pack and if that seems to work for me i will be very happy to keep going.

Kate

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2013
  • Posts: 25
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 06:28:17 pm »
Quote from: ArcadiaExeter;152622
thank you very much this is exactly the kind of info i was looking for. I have ordered the introductory pack and if that seems to work for me i will be very happy to keep going.

 
Glad to help! I really hope you enjoy it; I've gotten a lot out of OBOD personally, and I hope it ends up being what you're looking for.

ArcadiaExeter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 7
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 06:31:54 pm »
Quote from: Kate;152633
Glad to help! I really hope you enjoy it; I've gotten a lot out of OBOD personally, and I hope it ends up being what you're looking for.

 
you were actually the perfect person to answer too. one of my biggest concerns when it comes to any kind of spiritual group is the fact that i don't believe in "gods" per se. So the fact that you are an atheist and you enjoy it really gives me hope. thanks again.

Kate

  • Apprentice
  • ***
  • Join Date: Jul 2013
  • Posts: 25
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 06:44:02 pm »
Quote from: ArcadiaExeter;152634
you were actually the perfect person to answer too. one of my biggest concerns when it comes to any kind of spiritual group is the fact that i don't believe in "gods" per se. So the fact that you are an atheist and you enjoy it really gives me hope. thanks again.

 
Oh, excellent! There are more of us than you might think in the Skeptical Druid category, and indeed there’s a subforum for that on the OBOD message boards. There is definitely material there which plays towards a faith of some kind, and I would say it perhaps leans more in that direction (which is natural, as I imagine those folk are in the majority), but I have never had a problem glossing over it/adapting the material for me. It is most definitely more about finding your own way, and not trying to be a part of a set way.

Keri

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 19
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:54 pm »
Quote from: Kate;152635
It is most definitely more about finding your own way, and not trying to be a part of a set way.


I completely agree. I was with ADF and quit to go with OBOD. I just felt too confined with ADF because it has a fairly strict structure and belief system and it's not encouraged to stray too far or to read the "wrong" books. OBOD is the exact opposite--it accommodates everything from atheists to polytheists and emphasizes experiential learning during the Bardic course rather than trying to stay true to Iron Age religions the way ADF does. The OBOD website has a page with podcasts--88 of them, each of which are about an hour long. That's a great resource to see if it's for you or not.

ArcadiaExeter

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
  • Posts: 7
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBOD and scholarly
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 10:07:33 pm »
Quote from: Keri;153830
I completely agree. I was with ADF and quit to go with OBOD. I just felt too confined with ADF because it has a fairly strict structure and belief system and it's not encouraged to stray too far or to read the "wrong" books. OBOD is the exact opposite--it accommodates everything from atheists to polytheists and emphasizes experiential learning during the Bardic course rather than trying to stay true to Iron Age religions the way ADF does. The OBOD website has a page with podcasts--88 of them, each of which are about an hour long. That's a great resource to see if it's for you or not.

 
I ordered the introductory package and really loved everything in it. i do love how they make sure to express that there are multiple ways of thinking about all of this and that no one way is "correct". the openness of it is great.

also, i couldn't afford their fees but when i expressed this to them via email they told me they have a payment option for those who can't afford the fees on their site. apparently the information is being mailed to me. all in all its been a great experience with OBOD.

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
916 Views
Last post February 01, 2012, 09:12:37 am
by benvarry
Obod?

Started by dragonfaerie « 1 2 » Neo-Druidry SIG

17 Replies
5954 Views
Last post September 15, 2012, 07:15:03 am
by Sophia C
3 Replies
1625 Views
Last post September 07, 2012, 08:02:37 am
by SacredRaven
5 Replies
1096 Views
Last post January 29, 2013, 10:21:46 am
by Sophia C
1 Replies
1372 Views
Last post December 01, 2013, 02:51:09 pm
by Aiwelin

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 43
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal