collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Druid Regalia  (Read 1797 times)

Amphibian

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Location: Idaho
  • Posts: 172
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid in training
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/their
Druid Regalia
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »
Or, to put a slightly less pretentious title on it: robes.  I'm drafting a pattern for my first set of explicitly Druid-y clothing, hopefully putting it together sometime this week.  Nothing terribly fancy, 'just' a long-sleeved robe of unbleached linen.  Image trawling on Google is showing a lot of robes with hoods, but I already have a lovely (if somewhat heavy) cape with a more than adequate hood, so I'm considering leaving it out of this robe design.

What do y'all wear for practice/ritual/etc? Do you make it yourselves, buy it from someone, some third option? I am making my own because of a longstanding tendency to make my own clothes for nonreligious reasons, but am interested in hearing other perspectives.

Aerinfridh

  • Sr. Newbie
  • **
  • Join Date: Apr 2014
  • Posts: 15
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Druid Regalia
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:32:55 am »
Quote from: Amphibian;149780
Or, to put a slightly less pretentious title on it: robes.  I'm drafting a pattern for my first set of explicitly Druid-y clothing, hopefully putting it together sometime this week.  Nothing terribly fancy, 'just' a long-sleeved robe of unbleached linen.  Image trawling on Google is showing a lot of robes with hoods, but I already have a lovely (if somewhat heavy) cape with a more than adequate hood, so I'm considering leaving it out of this robe design.

What do y'all wear for practice/ritual/etc? Do you make it yourselves, buy it from someone, some third option? I am making my own because of a longstanding tendency to make my own clothes for nonreligious reasons, but am interested in hearing other perspectives.

 

I just started following the Druids path.  I am pretty excited to make my first robe.  I have a few patterns that I have collected over the years.  Ever since I was little I have been sewing clothes, doll clothes, dabbled with quilting, etc.  I just learned to crochet over the winter (Oh! a crocheted robe!! That would be a project!!).  So far I just wear regular clothes.  Everyday I do a morning devotional, usually after I have showered and dressed for the day.  
It feels "right" to make my own robes; but I know that not everyone can sew.  I think buying robes from someone who makes them is better than waiting for Halloween and buying some form of mass produced robes.  But again some people may be stuck with that option.  IMHO it doesn't matter what you wear or don't wear as long as your heart and mind are in the right place for rituals, practice, etc.

Merin

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Posts: 206
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Druid Regalia
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:36:56 am »
Quote from: Amphibian;149780
Or, to put a slightly less pretentious title on it: robes.  I'm drafting a pattern for my first set of explicitly Druid-y clothing, hopefully putting it together sometime this week.  Nothing terribly fancy, 'just' a long-sleeved robe of unbleached linen.  Image trawling on Google is showing a lot of robes with hoods, but I already have a lovely (if somewhat heavy) cape with a more than adequate hood, so I'm considering leaving it out of this robe design.

What do y'all wear for practice/ritual/etc? Do you make it yourselves, buy it from someone, some third option? I am making my own because of a longstanding tendency to make my own clothes for nonreligious reasons, but am interested in hearing other perspectives.


My robe is just a little over jacket that I got a New Age store a few years ago.  It has those infamous bat wing sleeves and is green with some knotwork.  It was like 20 bucks, but it has gotten a lot of use.  Other than that, I just do street clothes.  A dress or a skirt with a t-shirt.  Nothing fancy. :)

Amphibian

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Location: Idaho
  • Posts: 172
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid in training
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/their
Re: Druid Regalia
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:44:00 am »
Quote from: Aerinfridh;151548
It feels "right" to make my own robes; but I know that not everyone can sew.  I think buying robes from someone who makes them is better than waiting for Halloween and buying some form of mass produced robes.  But again some people may be stuck with that option.  IMHO it doesn't matter what you wear or don't wear as long as your heart and mind are in the right place for rituals, practice, etc.

Absolutely agreed. Different people have different bounds on what's feasible, and I would much rather be appreciative of effort made than nitpick over 'proper'.

Part of the reason why I'm sewing my own robes is the...conceptual framework from doing so? It feels reassuring to be wearing stuff I've made myself, which is very helpful when I'm doing new things and trying not to feel self-conscious about the actual act of ritual.

Sefiru

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2013
  • Location: In the walls
  • Posts: 1798
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 392
    • View Profile
Re: Druid Regalia
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 07:15:02 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;149780



 
Not for ritual, but I made a robe as part of a halloween costume last year. (I was a cultist of Wisdomology. I had pamphlets too.) It was just a t-shape with long sleeves, and I got the fabric at the thrift store.

Sisu

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2013
  • Posts: 129
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Druid Regalia
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:31:19 am »
Quote from: Amphibian;149780
Or, to put a slightly less pretentious title on it: robes.  I'm drafting a pattern for my first set of explicitly Druid-y clothing, hopefully putting it together sometime this week.  Nothing terribly fancy, 'just' a long-sleeved robe of unbleached linen.  Image trawling on Google is showing a lot of robes with hoods, but I already have a lovely (if somewhat heavy) cape with a more than adequate hood, so I'm considering leaving it out of this robe design.

What do y'all wear for practice/ritual/etc? Do you make it yourselves, buy it from someone, some third option? I am making my own because of a longstanding tendency to make my own clothes for nonreligious reasons, but am interested in hearing other perspectives.

 
That sounds awesome. I've been wanting to make my own robes for a while now but I lack the relevant sewing knowledge (but I can cross stitch! Does that count?... Probably not)

How difficult do you think it would be for a newbie to sew a robe?

To answer the original question, I usually wear my regular clothes, mostly because I am not too formal about ritual. Also when I'm doing walks/workings out it nature it tends to be in relatively public spaces so wearing robes would attract unwanted attention, thus even if I wore them they'd be confined to indoor ritual.

Amphibian

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Dec 2013
  • Location: Idaho
  • Posts: 172
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 5
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid in training
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/their
Re: Druid Regalia
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 11:30:24 am »
Quote from: Sisu;151892
That sounds awesome. I've been wanting to make my own robes for a while now but I lack the relevant sewing knowledge (but I can cross stitch! Does that count?... Probably not)

How difficult do you think it would be for a newbie to sew a robe?

To answer the original question, I usually wear my regular clothes, mostly because I am not too formal about ritual. Also when I'm doing walks/workings out it nature it tends to be in relatively public spaces so wearing robes would attract unwanted attention, thus even if I wore them they'd be confined to indoor ritual.

As far as first projects go, robes are probably one of the easier ones.  Depending on how you lay out the pattern, it's minimal cutting and very few seams, and the fact that robes tend to be fairly loosely fit gives you a lot more margin for error than working with more closely fit stuff.  They're also completely lacking in some of the more 'fiddly' bits of some clothing work; my first major sewing project was a pair of pants, and I made a right mess of the zipper and the belt loops. (The pockets came out alright, though).

I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to sewing; I can document the process for making mine if that'd be useful? (I...haven't started yet. So much for having them done by Midsummer)

Sisu

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Sep 2013
  • Posts: 129
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Druid Regalia
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;151909

I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to sewing; I can document the process for making mine if that'd be useful? (I...haven't started yet. So much for having them done by Midsummer)

 
If you have the time, then documenting it would be great! (Also it'd be nice to see more activity on the Neo-Druidry SIG in general...) I'm so picky about this sort of stuff that making it myself is probably the only way I'd be satisfied. So many robes I've seen online are just not to my taste or are way out of my price range. (The situation is even worse with altar cloths...)

I also have a tapestry I need to sew hanging rod sleeves for that was supposed to be done a month ago.... :whis:

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
16 Replies
13714 Views
Last post December 09, 2011, 02:00:27 pm
by SilverOak
1 Replies
6905 Views
Last post March 17, 2016, 06:41:53 pm
by RecycledBenedict
20 Replies
5248 Views
Last post August 14, 2011, 07:02:25 pm
by AlisonLeighLilly
23 Replies
11546 Views
Last post December 31, 2014, 08:00:27 am
by hraefngar
0 Replies
5976 Views
Last post August 28, 2011, 12:01:07 pm
by darashand

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 59
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall