Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Anyone else taking part in the Solitary Druid Fellowship Equinox ritual?  (Read 4921 times)

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Hey, just wondering is anyone else taking part in the SDF Equinox ritual?
It's my first time doing this style of ritual and I'm very excited :) I'll be doing it tonight (20th of March).

I've been interested in ADF for a while but due to lack of money (student XD) and the fact that there is no groves in Ireland as far as I'm aware I haven't joined it. I'm hoping SDF will provide that bridge for me to start practicing this style on my own :)
What does everyone else think of the SDF? :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cág;101979
It's my first time doing this style of ritual and I'm very excited :) I'll be doing it tonight (20th of March).

I've been interested in ADF for a while but due to lack of money (student XD) and the fact that there is no groves in Ireland as far as I'm aware I haven't joined it. I'm hoping SDF will provide that bridge for me to start practicing this style on my own :)

Got a link to some info on them, mo chara?

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Quote from: Rhyshadow;101981
Got a link to some info on them, mo chara?

Here ya go, friend.

I've been doing SDF rituals since they started this past solstice and I'm ridiculously excited about Ostara this time around. (Well, I don't suppose it's Ostara because I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Hellenic hearth culture this go round, but the spring equinox will always feel like Ostara to me. <3) It's my favorite time of year.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sage;101983
Here ya go, friend.

I've been doing SDF rituals since they started this past solstice and I'm ridiculously excited about Ostara this time around. (Well, I don't suppose it's Ostara because I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Hellenic hearth culture this go round, but the spring equinox will always feel like Ostara to me. <3) It's my favorite time of year.

Sweet - thanks, Sage - I'll peruse that tomorrow :)

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them

I've been with SDF since the Solstice too. I've been interested in ADF for a while, but the lack of groves and not being sure if ADF would really work for me made me hesitate to join. I got a little intimidated by the ritual structure too.

SDF is good, though. I love the liturgy, and I really don't feel like I'm going it alone for once. I feel like I've finally found a way to practice those aspects of Roman household practices that I love without having to commit to Religio Romana and some sort of State cult. And it works well. Ianus is great. Might revert back to calling on Hestia, though, because She is my hearth god in a way that Vesta isn't. I'll try that out with the Equinox rite and see how that works.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile

I have from afar so to speak. I'm lucky enough to be part of an ADF grove so I have that but I find the intent and goals of the SDF super interesting and hope it's as effective and helpful as it seems to be.

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile

I'm been watching SDF with interest. I've also been an ADF member since the beginning of the year. Teo writes some nice simple liturgy that people can customise as much as they like, to help create "congregation in solitude". I really like the morning devotional, I should see if the evening devotional is done. Teo is a great guy, and also leads the ADF Solitaries SIG, within ADF.

I'm planning on doing the full ADF ritual for the equinox, have to do it for 4 high days in my dedicant year, so might as well get started. Have been practicing a bit.

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: cymrudraco;101987
I've been with SDF since the Solstice too. I've been interested in ADF for a while, but the lack of groves and not being sure if ADF would really work for me made me hesitate to join. I got a little intimidated by the ritual structure too.

Yeah I looked into ADF for months before I joined. Kept looking at the Core Order of Ritual and going argh it's THIS long! *holds arms as far apart as possible*. But I really liked the cosmology and how the rest of it worked, so I joined. On the plus side, one of the members has an article on adopting the omfg long ritual for solitary use, and it breaks learning it down into steps. You start off with a certain number of steps until you can remember it, then you add certain other ones, then more, until you have the whole thing.

There aren't groves near me either. NZ has one, but when my family moved about 6 years ago, it was in the opposite direction, woe is me! :p

If you want to have a discussion about what ADF stuff is like and what the training involves, hit me up anytime!

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Emerald;102002
On the plus side, one of the members has an article on adopting the omfg long ritual for solitary use, and it breaks learning it down into steps. You start off with a certain number of steps until you can remember it, then you add certain other ones, then more, until you have the whole thing.

I find it helps to break it into beginning middle end, for instance opening the gate etc is all beginning, the 'meat' is the working etc, then the thanking and closing is clearly the end. Some groves go so far as to have a the COoR listed nearby, we've settled for hand outs of relevant parts and the DIC (Druid in Charge :D) has the ritual written out for themselves.

So far anyway.

I volunteered to lead our Samhain rite lol nothing like getting started with a big un... *gulps*
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:13:33 am by Asch »

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Anyone else taking part in the Solitary Druid Fellowship Equinox ritual?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 03:20:49 am »

I blog for them (as Leithin Cluan - which reminds me that I *really* need to write them another post). I've done the past two High Days with their rituals, but I may not manage this one as I'm travelling - will try, though. I love their rituals - I've been trying to use the morning liturgy and their simple version of the COoR, which helps a lot with learning the order. I'm not ever intending to learn a full ritual by rote though, being dyslexic etc. Don't think there's any need to stress myself out just so I don't need a piece of paper in front of me!

The SDF rituals are excellent for working alone (no ADF groves here in the UK). I hope you enjoy it!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Quote from: Emerald;102002
Yeah I looked into ADF for months before I joined. Kept looking at the Core Order of Ritual and going argh it's THIS long! *holds arms as far apart as possible*. But I really liked the cosmology and how the rest of it worked, so I joined. On the plus side, one of the members has an article on adopting the omfg long ritual for solitary use, and it breaks learning it down into steps. You start off with a certain number of steps until you can remember it, then you add certain other ones, then more, until you have the whole thing.

There aren't groves near me either. NZ has one, but when my family moved about 6 years ago, it was in the opposite direction, woe is me! :p

If you want to have a discussion about what ADF stuff is like and what the training involves, hit me up anytime!

Yeah, I saw that article. I like how it broke it all down, like that. I'm not really used to memorising rites, though, as I've spent most of my Pagan life as a Kemetic, where you don't really memorise rites. You're meant to read them from the page because then you get the words right, because the words of the rite were heka, magic, themselves. It's a really hard tradition to break.

I haven't decided if I want to commit to ADF yet, though. I kind of wanted to stick out a year with SDF and see how I liked it, and maybe decide then if I wanted to go further with ADF, or just stick to SDF stuff. But we'll see. Thanks for the offer to talk about ADF stuff. I might take you up on that some time if I decide ADF is where I should be.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rhyshadow;101985
Sweet - thanks, Sage - I'll peruse that tomorrow :)

Looked through their site - definitely something worth while if you're on the ADF/OBOD/NGROD/others path and don't have access to a local grove/etc

The rituals are well thought out, the blog posts succinct and the general information is fairly well organized. Kudos to whoever put this together.

Personally, I'm on a true solitaire path - looked into modern Druidry and....well let's say I would be trading one path of ceremonial type work for another and that's not what my mindset needed.

Best wishes to those of you on that path - I'm of the opinion that if the path you're on brings you comfort and a closeness to Deity, then it's the right one for you. :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:14:40 am by Rhyshadow »

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Wow, there's definitely a few anyway :D: :thup:

Quote from: Rhyshadow;102017
Looked through their site - definitely something worth while if you're on the ADF/OBOD/NGROD/others path and don't have access to a local grove/etc

Best wishes to those of you on that path - I'm of the opinion that if the path you're on brings you comfort and a closeness to Deity, then it's the right one for you. :)

Thank you! :)

Quote from: Sophia Catherine;102005
I blog for them (as Leithin Cluan - which reminds me that I *really* need to write them another post). I've done the past two High Days with their rituals, but I may not manage this one as I'm travelling - will try, though. I love their rituals - I've been trying to use the morning liturgy and their simple version of the COoR, which helps a lot with learning the order. I'm not ever intending to learn a full ritual by rote though, being dyslexic etc. Don't think there's any need to stress myself out just so I don't need a piece of paper in front of me!

The SDF rituals are excellent for working alone (no ADF groves here in the UK). I hope you enjoy it!

Oh I think I read some of your posts! :) I really enjoyed them.
I've been using the morning devotional all week and have really taken to it :)
I have a tendency to mix up stuff learned by rote (I have a touch of dyslexia myself) so I just copied out the ritual, etc. into my notebook/'Book of Shadows'- I still keep one even though I don't really identify as part of the Wiccan sphere anymore :o :)
I really like the simplicity and flexibility of it when it comes to hearth culture- I use Irish but it seems to be geared to apply to anyone  :thup:
I was a little surprised to see there was none in Ireland (there's OBOD groups here) but I'm really surprised there's none in the UK! :eek:

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Quote from: Cág;102022
I was a little surprised to see there was none in Ireland (there's OBOD groups here) but I'm really surprised there's none in the UK! :eek:

I exaggerated slightly - there's one ADF grove in the UK. It would be at least four hours' travel each way for me, so I won't be looking into joining anytime soon! I have a good OBOD group, though, so it's not like I'm looking for more Pagans to hang out with. (Slightly fewer, would be my preference. ;) )
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;102027
I exaggerated slightly - there's one ADF grove in the UK. It would be at least four hours' travel each way for me, so I won't be looking into joining anytime soon! I have a good OBOD group, though, so it's not like I'm looking for more Pagans to hang out with. (Slightly fewer, would be my preference. ;) )

Ah! That wouldn't work for me either.
XD I've met more pagans since I moved south then when I lived in Dublin.

Tags: