collapse

Author Topic: study of Trance-Portation  (Read 3437 times)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
study of Trance-Portation
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »
so, I've had Trance-Portation  by Diana Paxson sitting in my book case for about a year now and was talking in chat about how it was time to get down to it. Several people suggested working through it as a group.

I was thinking maybe we could do a chapter a month and share our thoughts here about it and how we are doing with the practical aspects.

Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:42:27 pm by Sarah »
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: study of Trance-Portation
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;152694
so, I've had Trance-Portation  by Diana Paxson sitting in my book case for about a year now and was talking in chat about how it was time to get down to it. Several people suggested working through it as a group.

I was thinking maybe we could do a chapter a month and share our thoughts here about it and how we are doing with the practical aspects.

Anyone interested?

I'm in! I think having people to discuss things with as I go through the book will help keep me on track. Thanks for starting this, Jake!

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:19:17 pm »

Anyone interested?

Sounds good. I read it a while ago but never worked through it properly. This would be a good chance to.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:27:58 pm »

Anyone interested?

I would be interested in participating too. I've read through it a couple of times but haven't been diligent about working through the exercises.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:11:26 pm »

Anyone interested?

I'm interested. I have the book, but I've never really been able to focus on it.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:16:18 pm »

Anyone interested?

I would be interested!  I've had it for a while now, but haven't broken into it yet.  I might have to play catch up for the first month though, am on vacation right now, until the 23rd, so not sure how much time I would have to devote until after that, but can try to keep up. I have it in my kindle, so I actually have it with me!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:33:33 am »
Anyone interested?

I am too! Perhaps some people would be interested in exchanging recordings of the exercises that have spoken guidance? Listening to my own voice on tape distracts me to no end...
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 01:25:21 am »

Anyone interested?

I'm interested. I've got the book, read it, and never worked through it. So, yeah! Sign me up!

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:56:35 am »
Quote from: beachglass;152723
I am too! Perhaps some people would be interested in exchanging recordings of the exercises that have spoken guidance? Listening to my own voice on tape distracts me to no end...

Certainly. Good idea!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 11:42:18 am »

Anyone interested?

I am.  I keep getting stuck in the book (there's something about the way it is written that rubs me the wrong way), but I'd really like to get through it.  I think I could do, if I have something to make me accountable.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:45:43 pm »

Any idea when you plan to start? I'm interested- it's been on my wishlist for a bit- but I'll need to get a copy.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 03:47:54 am »
Quote from: Juni;152769
Any idea when you plan to start? I'm interested- it's been on my wishlist for a bit- but I'll need to get a copy.

How long will it take you to get a copy? We could wait till then
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 10:51:32 am »
Quote from: Jake_;152795
How long will it take you to get a copy? We could wait till then

I just ordered a copy; if we're doing a chapter a month, I should be able to catch up pretty quickly even if we start right away. :)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 10:56:11 am »
Several people suggested working through it as a group.

Anyone interested?

I think this is a great idea (I almost always think book study groups are a great idea) and will do my best to keep up and maybe even post, within the links of my cognitive/reading issues.

That said, I have a vague memory of attempting a group study of this book some time ago, maybe when it first came out? Maybe led by Jenett? And that it petered out after a few chapters?  I could easily be misremembering, of course. Or remembering a different book or a different group.

This is NOT to say that we shouldn't try it now. Even if we did do it and even if it had been a huge success, there's no reason not to repeat this sort of thing when there's sufficient interest, which there clearly is.

I'm only mentioning it because it might be worth looking through the archives (which I can't do today) to see what kind of discussion questions were used and maybe what caused the group to not finish the book, so we can try to avoid those pitfalls.

Or not.

Either way, I'm in to the best of my ability (which might end up not being much), and I have a copy. If this works out, maybe we could do The Way of the Oracle together next. :-)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 11:03:13 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;152807
I think this is a great idea (I almost always think book study groups are a great idea) and will do my best to keep up and maybe even post, within the links of my cognitive/reading issues.

That said, I have a vague memory of attempting a group study of this book some time ago, maybe when it first came out? Maybe led by Jenett? And that it petered out after a few chapters?  I could easily be misremembering, of course. Or remembering a different book or a different group.

This is NOT to say that we shouldn't try it now. Even if we did do it and even if it had been a huge success, there's no reason not to repeat this sort of thing when there's sufficient interest, which there clearly is.

I'm only mentioning it because it might be worth looking through the archives (which I can't do today) to see what kind of discussion questions were used and maybe what caused the group to not finish the book, so we can try to avoid those pitfalls.

Or not.

Either way, I'm in to the best of my ability (which might end up not being much), and I have a copy. If this works out, maybe we could do The Way of the Oracle together next. :-)

Sperran led us on an attempted read-through of The Twelve Wild Swans over in the Stories of the Spirit SIG, and we definitely petered out after not too long. In retrospect, it might've been better if we'd chosen one of the three paths for everyone to work on together- with everyone choosing their own, I think the conversation was limited and got a bit fractured.

Tags: