collapse
2019 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $650 (same as last year) to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 24 Aug 2019: $260 donated. Only $390 more needed to reach our minimum goal!


Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day


Author Topic: Plant Spirits  (Read 954 times)

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:39:44 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;79426
...

 
Basil doesn't really live through our winters; occasionally, I'll have one last, but usually they don't do well once it starts to cool down.  I grow it indoors three seasons out of four.

If you have a sheltered place, though, I have friends in Philly that keep their rosemary going all year round.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aine Rayne

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 438
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 02:20:01 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;79739
Basil doesn't really live through our winters; occasionally, I'll have one last, but usually they don't do well once it starts to cool down.  I grow it indoors three seasons out of four.

If you have a sheltered place, though, I have friends in Philly that keep their rosemary going all year round.

 
I feel like rosemary is trying to tell me something because I keep hearing about it! I have no clue where to buy rosemary or its cuttings to grow any. I'll have to look it up, because it seems to be a popular suggestion for others to give me lol I am happy to say my lavender is still going, stronger than a couple weeks ago. I'm still worried about it because the best place for it to get light is also furthest from a heat source to keep it warm. I think it will be ok, but I tend to be paranoid lol

We also recently acquired a philodendron that we named Dennis. He was nervous at first but he's certainly stretching out and relaxing now!
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Maythe

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 70
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://maytheweed.blogspot.com/
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 06:28:23 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;80322
I feel like rosemary is trying to tell me something because I keep hearing about it! I have no clue where to buy rosemary or its cuttings to grow any. I'll have to look it up, because it seems to be a popular suggestion for others to give me lol I am happy to say my lavender is still going, stronger than a couple weeks ago. I'm still worried about it because the best place for it to get light is also furthest from a heat source to keep it warm. I think it will be ok, but I tend to be paranoid lol

We also recently acquired a philodendron that we named Dennis. He was nervous at first but he's certainly stretching out and relaxing now!

Have you got the lavender indoors? Here in the UK the most common type of lavender is definitely an outdoor plant and probably wouldn't be very happy indoors. French lavender with the long petal ears at the top of the flower head is a bit more tender and will need somewhere sheltered over winter but even so probably not inside. It's wet and cold rather than just cold that kills off lavender over winter.
My writing blog is very occasionally updated with poetry and short stories. My gardening blog is more active.

Aine Rayne

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 438
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Plant Spirits
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 12:21:09 pm »
Quote from: Maythe;80437
Have you got the lavender indoors? Here in the UK the most common type of lavender is definitely an outdoor plant and probably wouldn't be very happy indoors. French lavender with the long petal ears at the top of the flower head is a bit more tender and will need somewhere sheltered over winter but even so probably not inside. It's wet and cold rather than just cold that kills off lavender over winter.

I do have it indoors. It's doing better now, but I didn't know that lavender didn't care much for being inside. Although, we get really cold and wet winters here, so yeah
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

yewberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1775
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 12:39:40 pm »
Quote from: Maythe;80437
Have you got the lavender indoors? Here in the UK the most common type of lavender is definitely an outdoor plant and probably wouldn't be very happy indoors. French lavender with the long petal ears at the top of the flower head is a bit more tender and will need somewhere sheltered over winter but even so probably not inside. It's wet and cold rather than just cold that kills off lavender over winter.

It's not so much the wet.  It's wet plus poorly-draining soil (clay, usually, although sometimes low-lying areas can retain water regardless of soil composition).  It rains like a mutha here all winter, but the sandy soil where I grow my Mediterranean plants drains well, keeping their roots healthy.  I also grow them on a mound, which sheds water down the sides and never allows it to pool.
 
Brina
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:40:46 pm by yewberry »

yewberry

  • Grand Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 1775
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 01:00:42 pm »
Quote from: Maps;79322
I've begun to think about this recently, buying up handbooks on local flora and fauna, and taking walks. The thing that bugged me about this sort of thing though is that the plants that truly matter in local ecosystems seem to get looked over for the non-native European varieties


This.  Of course, many of the non-native plants that grow wild in the U.S. are so ubiquitous as to be naturalized citizens (albeit sometimes problematic ones), so I do use them too.  Also, doing so takes a non-native out of the ecosystem, which most agree is a good thing.

Also, and I've said it before probably a hundred times when people ask for information about "witchy" plants, please just look down.  I'm always amazed at how much money people will spend to buy, say, dandelion root.

Brina

Aine Rayne

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 438
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Plant Spirits
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 02:18:31 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;80469
It's not so much the wet.  It's wet plus poorly-draining soil (clay, usually, although sometimes low-lying areas can retain water regardless of soil composition).  It rains like a mutha here all winter, but the sandy soil where I grow my Mediterranean plants drains well, keeping their roots healthy.  I also grow them on a mound, which sheds water down the sides and never allows it to pool.
 
Brina

Well the only place I could plant it definitely has a lot of clay in it. I don't really know enough about plants or soils to take that risk. I'm still learning.
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Waldhexe

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Essen
  • Posts: 684
  • Country: de
  • Total likes: 46
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 02:42:42 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;80479
Well the only place I could plant it definitely has a lot of clay in it. I don't really know enough about plants or soils to take that risk. I'm still learning.

I'm not an expert, but you could buy a bag of the appropriate soil and put it on the spot in your garden where you plant lavender (or put it into a pot).

About rosemary...I don't know how this is in the US, but here they are also sold in supermarkets. (I didn't have much luck with them though, because they all died after some time, could be bad quality or I didn't care right for them - but the leaves dried up when the plant died and were still good for cooking and other use). You can also burn rosemary as incense or put it into bathwater.

Waldhexe

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Essen
  • Posts: 684
  • Country: de
  • Total likes: 46
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 02:55:48 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;80322
I feel like rosemary is trying to tell me something because I keep hearing about it!

Btw, has anyone ever tried to feel into a plant or to draw power from it?

I've made the experience that drawing power works especially well with edible plant bits and already dried tea leaves. It gives me a feeling on how the energy of the plant is.

(I realize some may consider it rude to draw power from a plant, but you can ask permission or do it with a plant bit that's already dead and which you're going to eat/drink anyway...)

With living plants I encounter outside and are not going to eat I just try to open myself to it and feel into it to percieve it's energy. (And I 'talk' to it beforehand.)

Maythe

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 70
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://maytheweed.blogspot.com/
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 03:53:55 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;80469
It's not so much the wet.  It's wet plus poorly-draining soil (clay, usually, although sometimes low-lying areas can retain water regardless of soil composition).  It rains like a mutha here all winter, but the sandy soil where I grow my Mediterranean plants drains well, keeping their roots healthy.  I also grow them on a mound, which sheds water down the sides and never allows it to pool.
 
Brina

 Yeah that's what I meant. Sitting in wetness is the difficulty. Sorry if I was unclear. :o
My writing blog is very occasionally updated with poetry and short stories. My gardening blog is more active.

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 01:53:34 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;80322
I feel like rosemary is trying to tell me something because I keep hearing about it! I have no clue where to buy rosemary or its cuttings to grow any. ...

 
Depending on where you are in the city, I'd suggest the Italian Market or Reading Terminal.  You should be able to get a small plant for relatively little money.

Also, many grocery stores sell rosemary plants.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aine Rayne

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 438
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 02:09:53 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;80586
Depending on where you are in the city, I'd suggest the Italian Market or Reading Terminal.  You should be able to get a small plant for relatively little money.

Also, many grocery stores sell rosemary plants.

 
You know I rarely think about Reading Terminal :o I'm in West, so that's my best bet probably. I've only been there about three times so it just skips my mind. When I next get some money I may go and see if they have any. Does rosemary grow well indoors?
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 02:24:32 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;80589
You know I rarely think about Reading Terminal :o I'm in West, so that's my best bet probably. I've only been there about three times so it just skips my mind. When I next get some money I may go and see if they have any. Does rosemary grow well indoors?

 
My husband is from West Philly - Spruce Hill abutting University City.

It can grow well indoors, yes.  It needs a lot of light and warmer temperatures.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Aine Rayne

  • Master Member
  • ******
  • Join Date: Jan 2012
  • Posts: 438
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Plant Spirits
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 02:32:33 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;80594
My husband is from West Philly - Spruce Hill abutting University City.

It can grow well indoors, yes.  It needs a lot of light and warmer temperatures.

 
lol I'm from West out on Landsdowne. My grandmother lives on Walnut up close to Upper Darby :3

Well I have a window with a lot of light but it's not near the radiator. But, the oregano and lavender are doing ok there, so the rosemary might too
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
3503 Views
Last post August 08, 2012, 02:42:29 am
by spoOk
36 Replies
2365 Views
Last post June 16, 2013, 09:50:19 pm
by yewberry
10 Replies
945 Views
Last post July 23, 2013, 01:36:22 pm
by yewberry
17 Replies
2448 Views
Last post February 05, 2014, 01:14:48 pm
by DavidMcCann
1 Replies
784 Views
Last post April 12, 2015, 07:44:06 am
by Nerys53

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 28
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall