collapse

Author Topic: "Grounding" Scenes/Cues  (Read 384 times)

DancesWithHorses

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2012
  • Posts: 231
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
"Grounding" Scenes/Cues
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:51:21 pm »
Hopefully this is the correct place, if not, it can be moved.

I wanted to know if anyone else has a scene/cue or image they use to ground themselves and their emotions? I started doing this when I finally decided to deal with my anxiety attacks and its sort of evolved and moved into many aspects of my life. I now use the image before prayer and meditation.

For me, I picture and feel myself sinking my boot home in the stirrup and swinging up on the back of a horse. I learned a long time ago that emotions and horses don't mix very well and taught myself to work through situations without giving in to emotions since the horses would "read" them and act accordingly. I often find myself going for a ride to think things over.

This sort of "grounding" scene has really helped me recently. Has anyone else tried this?
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Annie Roonie

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 915
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: "Grounding" Scenes/Cues
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:58:54 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;74971

This sort of "grounding" scene has really helped me recently. Has anyone else tried this?


I was thinking of a different type of grounding at first. The one where you can steady energies by releasing the excess or syncing with that of the world around or by absorbing more from the world around.

But what you describe seems kind of different. I have done something similar though. Needed to. Sometimes there is no opportunity in a moment to go where I need to go in reality, so I go there in my mind.

I tend to use textures to get me "there" instead of an action (well feeling the texture is an action I guess). My go-to for a long time for peace of mind is the tactile memory of sand pushing up between my toes and the sun warmed side of driftwood trees. But I have had a habit  or compulsion to touch my surroundings and store the memory of the feelings, so it is more a process of where to go in my head and then to feel what it is like there with tactile memory.  So there is variety for different purposes.

It's similar in that I also do a repetitive action in which I have confidence to detach, but different in that only in some places do I quell my emotions. In others both types of "to feel" merge into one that is hard to explain.

Waldhexe

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Location: Essen
  • Posts: 684
  • Country: de
  • Total likes: 46
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Re: "Grounding" Scenes/Cues
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 06:18:18 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;74971
This sort of "grounding" scene has really helped me recently. Has anyone else tried this?

Interesting! I would never associate horses with grounding, but as long as it works for you, it sounds good!

I mostly work with the standard tree-meditation.

There are some qi gong exercises which also work very well for me. Bear-qi gong f.ex. (You imagine being a bear and sinking in a bit deeper into the forest ground because you are heavy and do a set of specific bear-like movements.)

Sometimes I do the exercises accompanied with music like very low singing bowls for the first chakra or stuff like that.

DancesWithHorses

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2012
  • Posts: 231
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Grounding" Scenes/Cues
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 08:36:30 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;74975
I was thinking of a different type of grounding at first. The one where you can steady energies by releasing the excess or syncing with that of the world around or by absorbing more from the world around.

But what you describe seems kind of different. I have done something similar though. Needed to. Sometimes there is no opportunity in a moment to go where I need to go in reality, so I go there in my mind.

I tend to use textures to get me "there" instead of an action (well feeling the texture is an action I guess). My go-to for a long time for peace of mind is the tactile memory of sand pushing up between my toes and the sun warmed side of driftwood trees. But I have had a habit  or compulsion to touch my surroundings and store the memory of the feelings, so it is more a process of where to go in my head and then to feel what it is like there with tactile memory.  So there is variety for different purposes.

It's similar in that I also do a repetitive action in which I have confidence to detach, but different in that only in some places do I quell my emotions. In others both types of "to feel" merge into one that is hard to explain.


I couldn't think of a better word at the time. Interesting about the tactile association. For it, my action of swinging up on a horse, it has a pull that has had me climb on in the middle of the night. After a series of horrible panic attacks that brought me to point of where doing basic things in life was difficult, I had to look somewhere. And realized that riding, even on horses known to seriously injury people, is the only time I'm not afraid and letting my emotions runaway on me.
 
Quote from: Waldhexe;75009
Interesting! I would never associate horses with grounding, but as long as it works for you, it sounds good!

I mostly work with the standard tree-meditation.

There are some qi gong exercises which also work very well for me. Bear-qi gong f.ex. (You imagine being a bear and sinking in a bit deeper into the forest ground because you are heavy and do a set of specific bear-like movements.)

Sometimes I do the exercises accompanied with music like very low singing bowls for the first chakra or stuff like that.

 
That sounds really neat. I've done something similar in a desperate attempt to lessen the pain in my joints.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Elementalist

  • Sr. Apprentice
  • ****
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 59
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Grounding" Scenes/Cues
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 04:48:57 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;74971

I wanted to know if anyone else has a scene/cue or image they use to ground themselves and their emotions?

 
Roots extending from my feet and travelling deep into the earth.

Vitkyng

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Oct 2012
  • Posts: 105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: "Grounding" Scenes/Cues
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:14:21 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;74971
Hopefully this is the correct place, if not, it can be moved.

I wanted to know if anyone else has a scene/cue or image they use to ground themselves and their emotions? I started doing this when I finally decided to deal with my anxiety attacks and its sort of evolved and moved into many aspects of my life. I now use the image before prayer and meditation.

For me, I picture and feel myself sinking my boot home in the stirrup and swinging up on the back of a horse. I learned a long time ago that emotions and horses don't mix very well and taught myself to work through situations without giving in to emotions since the horses would "read" them and act accordingly. I often find myself going for a ride to think things over.

This sort of "grounding" scene has really helped me recently. Has anyone else tried this?


I actually picture myself drumming, even without a drum, or even the movements.

For me drumming can be a way to release energy as well as build it, the same goes for emotions.

LiminalAuggie

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 127
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Grounding" Scenes/Cues
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 09:25:58 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;74971

This sort of "grounding" scene has really helped me recently. Has anyone else tried this?


I used to have a lot of trouble with grounding, but one thing that's worked very well for me recently is the scent and taste of pu'erh tea. It's post-fermented and smells like a forest floor in the best possible way, and just thinking about that scent and warmth gives me a wonderful sense of calm and focus when I'm starting meditation.
This is probably because brewing tea is one of my favorite meditative tasks, and is a sure-fire way to combat anxiety for me.

I also use the standard tree visual, but tea feels so much more personally relevant I'll probably be trying it more often.

DancesWithHorses

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jul 2012
  • Posts: 231
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Grounding" Scenes/Cues
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 01:42:41 pm »
Quote from: Elementalist;79040
Roots extending from my feet and travelling deep into the earth.


I used that one recently and it worked really well.
 
Quote from: Vitkyng;79048
I actually picture myself drumming, even without a drum, or even the movements.

For me drumming can be a way to release energy as well as build it, the same goes for emotions.


That is really neat! I can sort of see how that would work.

Quote from: LiminalAuggie;79064
I used to have a lot of trouble with grounding, but one thing that's worked very well for me recently is the scent and taste of pu'erh tea. It's post-fermented and smells like a forest floor in the best possible way, and just thinking about that scent and warmth gives me a wonderful sense of calm and focus when I'm starting meditation.
This is probably because brewing tea is one of my favorite meditative tasks, and is a sure-fire way to combat anxiety for me.

I also use the standard tree visual, but tea feels so much more personally relevant I'll probably be trying it more often.

 
Smells are really great. I do think finding something personal makes it a lot stronger.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Tags:
 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
453 Views
Last post October 19, 2012, 11:29:01 am
by Nyktipolos
4 Replies
799 Views
Last post May 13, 2013, 10:57:44 pm
by Jenett
8 Replies
1037 Views
Last post July 08, 2014, 02:30:08 pm
by Daecon
4 Replies
830 Views
Last post November 02, 2015, 06:33:42 pm
by Gigi Kiersten
6 Replies
399 Views
Last post October 22, 2018, 06:50:17 pm
by Jenett

Special Interest Group

Warning: You are currently in a Special Interest Group on the message board with special rules and focused discussions.

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 21
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Co-Hosts:
LyricFox & Randall

Senior Staff:
Darkhawk

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Sunflower

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Board Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, HarpingHawke, Jenett, Morag, rocquelaire, Sefiru

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Reserve Staff:
Aisling

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Cauldron Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]

Site Assistants
[Non-Staff Positions]
Webmaster:
Randall