Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2020 Edition  (Read 4105 times)

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Egyptian Wicca
Re: Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2020 Edition
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 01:05:58 am »
It's time for that old Cauldron tradition of having a thread for griping about those cheesy, insipid, overplayed Christmas songs that make us want to get a copy on vinyl or CD for the sheer satisfaction of smashing it to bits. This is that thread!

I had groceries and other necessities to buy today, and was sure that in the process I'd be sufficiently irked by something that it'd give me a starter for this thread - but no one was playing Christmas music, as far as I could tell. Another weird COVID shortage?

So once again I'll cite LyricFox's pet hate, which was a significant factor in these threads becoming a tradition on TC: Little Drummer Boy, as done by absolutely anyone.

What's yours?

I love a lot of the Christmas songs. I even love some of the Christian or Catholic Christmas songs simply because of the memories I have with my Grandma and Grandpa at church when we were young. That's probably weird to some. I think one of the least favorite songs is The Little Drummer Boy. It's just really annoying. I can't remember anything else. I haven't listened to much Christmas music lately.
Anubisa

Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 08:12:23 am »
I love a lot of the Christmas songs. I even love some of the Christian or Catholic Christmas songs simply because of the memories I have with my Grandma and Grandpa at church when we were young. That's probably weird to some.

Not weird to me at all, I'm the same way, plus some of the Christian carols have such pretty melodies I just can't give up singing along to them even though their messages doesn't resonate with me at all.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 08:17:17 am »
It's a whiney Nice Guy guilt trip, for one thing.

Yeah, and on reflection I think it was just overrated and overplayed.  I can recall it being released back at a time when I was still into listening to the charts, so consequently I've heard it played many times each and every November & December ever since, so that easily makes you get sick of a song which I wasn't fond of to begin with (whereas some of the others which have been released since have not yet been played to death for me).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 09:39:26 pm »
I might have said this in previous years, but Paul McCartney’s ‘Wonderful Christmas Time’ regularly makes ‘worst Christmas songs’ list and I agree. I’ve recently seen people praising his sense of irony and savvy, but this edgy opinion will not win me over. It came on the radio on 1st December and I had an extreme reaction. NO.

[Fixing apostrophe-code weirdness - SP]

oh gods now it's stuck in my head again, and it'll be there till new year's, WHY SOPHIA, WHY, WHAT DID I EVER DO TO YOU

(Just kidding; I know you can't control the evil of that earworm. It's too much for any mortal. We must call upon the Old Ones to contain it, for only a bigger evil could vanquish it.)
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 12:20:59 am »
Not weird to me at all, I'm the same way, plus some of the Christian carols have such pretty melodies I just can't give up singing along to them even though their messages doesn't resonate with me at all.

I love most of the Christmas carols but I'm like you I just don't agree with the messages. I grew up as a Catholic and when I was a teenager I finally started to realize that going to church didn't resolve your sins. LOL! Back to the subject, I don't necessarily hate this song, but it gets stuck in my head and I can't stop singing it. Feliz Navidad. Anyone get this stuck in their head?
Anubisa

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »
I love most of the Christmas carols but I'm like you I just don't agree with the messages. I grew up as a Catholic and when I was a teenager I finally started to realize that going to church didn't resolve your sins. LOL! Back to the subject, I don't necessarily hate this song, but it gets stuck in my head and I can't stop singing it. Feliz Navidad. Anyone get this stuck in their head?

Oh great, now it's playing in MY head. At least it's catchy and not super annoying, though.

OK, after all these years I finally have a new Christmas song that I loathe: Mary, Did You Know. OF COURSE SHE KNEW ALREADY! That visit from the angel wasn't just a visit for a snack and little wine. It feels like whoever wrote this song blithely ignored that part. No matter who sings it, I just can't get past how the lyrics sound so...ignorant? Dismissive? Maybe both? Anyway, that's why the song annoys me.

As usual, I hate the covers of classics that do no justice to the originals. I have finally realized that "Baby It's Cold Outside" is another song that I have disliked well before people pointed out how rapey it sounds. I think back to all the times I heard it playing in the car or in the stores and it just...always annoyed me.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2020, 10:48:29 pm »
OK, after all these years I finally have a new Christmas song that I loathe: Mary, Did You Know. OF COURSE SHE KNEW ALREADY! That visit from the angel wasn't just a visit for a snack and little wine. It feels like whoever wrote this song blithely ignored that part. No matter who sings it, I just can't get past how the lyrics sound so...ignorant? Dismissive? Maybe both? Anyway, that's why the song annoys me.

^This, 100%. This song and "The Christmas Shoes" are on the top of my short list of hated Christmas songs.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 06:28:29 pm »

This is one I'm not familiar with, and maybe that's a good thing. I looked up the lyrics to see if it could at least be interpreted as the Annunciation itself, but that would require changing all the verb tenses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2020, 06:32:24 pm »
This is one I'm not familiar with, and maybe that's a good thing. I looked up the lyrics to see if it could at least be interpreted as the Annunciation itself, but that would require changing all the verb tenses.

As for some more of my own unfavorites, "Do they know it's Christmas", "And so this is Christmas," and similar White-Man's-Burden charity-hustling songs. Especially when sung by an indifferent children's choir.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

anubisa

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2020, 01:12:30 am »

Okay, so I actually like this song, but it's got stuck in my head! Especially because of who is singing it. The song is I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus and it is sang by The Jackson Five. I loved Michael when he was a young boy. Had such a beautiful voice. However, now it's playing over in my head. Gah!
Anubisa

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2020, 06:52:58 pm »
However, now it's playing over in my head. Gah!

I hate when that happens, and some of the Christmas songs are bad for that - one year I had Gaudete (sp?) stuck all night long, thought it was going to drive me utterly up the wall!
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: