collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Music: Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2019 Edition  (Read 833 times)

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
Re: Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2019 Edition
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 04:35:51 pm »
'Happy Christmas (War is Over)'.

Sunflower, who is in fact old enough to remember the end of the Vietnam War, which is what the subtitle of the song refers to

Although, of course, men and women continued dying in Vietnam for several more years after 1971...with the pace really accelerating come 1975.

You can't have peace unless both sides want it.

And, as an internet acquaintance recently shared on Facebook:

[ Invalid Attachment ]
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 02:01:55 pm »
This is THE WORST:

Caution: Unhide at your own risk. You have been warned!
Spoiler:  

This is Spike Jones's version of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." Not responsible for nightmares if you play the video!

Link to the antidote.

Hiss!!!!! HISS!!!!

I remember we talked about this horror a few years ago. It is still awful.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Devotee of the Three Treasures of Happy Science
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 11:00:37 am »
'Happy Christmas (War is Over)'.

Sunflower, who is in fact old enough to remember the end of the Vietnam War, which is what the subtitle of the song refers to

I adore Melissa Etheridge’s version of Happy Christmas. Honestly I’m an absolute fiend for Christmas music in general** so this thread tends to horrify me, but by that same token you don’t listen to as much Christmas music as I do without hearing the dregs.

“Christmas Shoes” is like an abortion set to music, and my father once famously remarked to us that it made him want to punch a child with cancer. Buble’s bowdlerised version of Santa Baby is a disgrace to Eartha Kitt’s magisterial original. Uneryx’s choices are also mistuned piles of refuse. “Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime” is just a war crime which has escaped the attention of The Hague.

“Mary Did You Know” infuriates me theologically because it just breezes past the Annunciation.

I have three sins up for consideration. The first two are “Hard Candy Christmas” and “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”. With respect to my beloved Dolly the first one is just depressing and unnecessary. The second is admittedly well-produced and star-studded but it’s insipid and is so patronising even I loathe it.

The absolute worst “Christmas” song ever produced, however, is the song “River” as sang by quite literally anyone. It’s a maudlin dirge with a vaguely wintry theme, one which apparently qualifies it for inclusion on Christmas radio. I hate it. I hate it I hate it I hate it.

** (such as Raul Malo’s excellent cover of Marshmallow World, or Nat King Cole’s Adeste Fideles, or the greatest Christmas musical performance ever wrought by the hands of mankind: Bing Crosby and David Bowie’s Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy duet)

Tags: