Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: Music: Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2017 Edition  (Read 6997 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2017 Edition
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:16:52 pm »
It's time (and then some) for that old Cauldron tradition of having a thread for griping about those cheesy, insipid, overplayed Christmas songs that make us want to get a copy on vinyl or CD for the sheer satisfaction of smashing it to bits. This is that thread!

This year, I've been feeling especially peeved with Band-Aid's 'Do They Know It's Christmas' - singing about 'no snow in Africa' as if that's somehow unique to famine years, frrgghh.

What's yours?

Sunflower
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:20:02 pm by RandallS »
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
Re: Your Most Hated Christmas Song, 2017 Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 08:50:30 pm »
This year, I've been feeling especially peeved with Band-Aid's 'Do They Know It's Christmas' - singing about 'no snow in Africa' as if that's somehow unique to famine years, frrgghh.

That lil gem can only be out-schmaltzed by its insipid

Enjoy. Or not.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:23:08 pm »
It's time (and then some) for that old Cauldron tradition of having a thread for griping about those cheesy, insipid, overplayed Christmas songs that make us want to get a copy on vinyl or CD for the sheer satisfaction of smashing it to bits. This is that thread!

What's yours?

Sunflower

OH BOY I was hoping there'd be a 2017 version of this thread.

In general, I hate most modern Christmas music. I'm cool with pre-1950s standard carols, but any form of "oo baby I love you and its christmas" song makes me want to gag. But there are three songs that will make me straight NOPE out of the store, no matter which store it is. In descending order:

3. The Christmas Shoes. This song is creepy and even if you buy in completely to Jesus, the message of this is warped. Everything I could say Patton Oswalt has already said better.

2. Where Are You Christmas from the 2001 Grinch movie. I hate that movie, I hate the sentiment of this song, 'my world is changing/I'm rearranging' is the stupidest fucking line I've ever heard, I loathe this song a lot.

1. Last Christmas, by Wham. I despise this song. I will automatically turn off whatever device its playing on. I will leave stores if its on the radio. I consider it a win if I go an entire year without hearing it. I put it on the same level as Minions. I H A T E this song.

Unfortunately, I lost the game this year when I took my cat to the vet/pet store to get him food. You know how hard it is to leave a store when you've got one arm full of whining cat and the other full of cat food?

A dramatic re-enaction:

Hands down, Last Christmas is the worst Christmas song.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:33:34 pm »

What's yours?

Any Christmas song with "babe" or "baby" in the title or lyrics, unless those words are referring directly to the Christ Child.
--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

CoyoteFeathers

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Vaguely Heathen-ish and PIE Reconstructionism
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 12:08:57 am »

What's yours?

Sunflower

As someone who works in retail, almost all of them. All the classic carols. I hate them. I hear the same things but different covers all day every day. The only ones I can stand are the ones that only have one or two versions on our playlist, like Run Rudolph Run and Mele Kalikimaka.

The ones I hate most have become Frosty the Snowman, No Place Like Home for the Holidays, and Baby it's Cold Outside. I swear we have 5 versions of each those (and this year there's quite a lot of Jingle Bells, but somehow it's not quite as bad for me). Baby it's Cold Outside gets more uncomfortable the more I listen to it, imagining that poor woman being nagged by her creepy boyfriend with lyrics like (his) "Gosh your lips look delicious," "What's the sense of hurting my pride," and (hers) "Say, what's in this drink?" The closer I listen, the creepier it gets.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:07:01 am »

What's yours?

Sunflower

'All I Want For Christmas Is You', if only because everyone seems to have it on fkn repeat this year. Srsly. -_-

And there's another one I am glad I don't remember the name of but it is the worst because it is so earwormy. Also 'Jingle Bell Rock' in any iteration.

Those are my current bugbears for this year so far.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »
As someone who works in retail, almost all of them. All the classic carols. I hate them. I hear the same things but different covers all day every day. The only ones I can stand are the ones that only have one or two versions on our playlist, like Run Rudolph Run and Mele Kalikimaka.

The ones I hate most have become Frosty the Snowman, No Place Like Home for the Holidays, and Baby it's Cold Outside. I swear we have 5 versions of each those (and this year there's quite a lot of Jingle Bells, but somehow it's not quite as bad for me). Baby it's Cold Outside gets more uncomfortable the more I listen to it, imagining that poor woman being nagged by her creepy boyfriend with lyrics like (his) "Gosh your lips look delicious," "What's the sense of hurting my pride," and (hers) "Say, what's in this drink?" The closer I listen, the creepier it gets.
I work in retail as well, and our radio has some kind of weird alternate Christmas station. Half the time I don't know what the hell is playing, the other half it's odd remixes of classics.
'All I Want For Christmas Is You', if only because everyone seems to have it on fkn repeat this year. Srsly. -_-

And there's another one I am glad I don't remember the name of but it is the worst because it is so earwormy. Also 'Jingle Bell Rock' in any iteration.

Those are my current bugbears for this year so far.
The aforementioned station literally played two different renditions of "all I want for Christmas is you" back to back today. Sadly when the Big Boss Lady (aka the Owner) is in the store we have to switch to the regular classic station that plays 15 versions of Last Christmas and 20 of Jingle Bells.

Thankfully we keep the radio just quiet enough to only barely recognize that music is playing, unless you actively listen for it, because all my other managers despise it as much as I do.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 01:42:16 pm »
15 versions of Last Christmas

... th-there's more than one version of that song?! D:

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »

What's yours?

Sunflower

Feliz Navidad. I'm sure there are better Christmas songs in Spanish. It's just so repetitive and annoying.

What child is this? Any version.

Santa Baby. I just...can't.

Do you hear what I hear? I don't like it. I don't know why the local radio stations play it so much.
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 07:30:22 am »

... th-there's more than one version of that song?! D:

Sadly, yes. I hear at least 15 versions at work in a single 8 hour shift, but I'm sure there are 1000 times that many floating around the interwebs.

Feliz Navidad. I'm sure there are better Christmas songs in Spanish. It's just so repetitive and annoying.

Do you hear what I hear? I don't like it. I don't know why the local radio stations play it so much.

I don't mind the melody of "what child is this?" (Also known as Greensleeves). Lindsey Stirling came out with a Christmas album this year and she did quite a pretty version of it. As long as there's no words, I'm mostly good with Christmas "classics" (not including the stupid overplayed Frosty the snowman, Rudolph, Jingle Bells, etc.)

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

MeadowRae

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pantheist Pagan Witch with Celtic Leanings
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/He/She
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 09:23:34 am »

They were playing Christmas music at the gym this morning...there are some places that should be sacred. I want Rock in the weight room and uptempo pop in the cardio room and that is it.  >:(
The genderqueer witch your mother warned you about

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 03:45:48 pm »
They were playing Christmas music at the gym this morning...there are some places that should be sacred. I want Rock in the weight room and uptempo pop in the cardio room and that is it.  >:(

Preach.

I just heard "Mary's Boy Child" by Harry Belafonte playing where I am now, so that gets my vote for the most irritating Christmas song.

ehbowen

• Grand Master Member
  • A Ways Around the Bend...
    • View Profile
    • Streamliner Schedules
  • Religion: Southern Baptist
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 04:11:29 pm »
Preach.

I just heard "Mary's Boy Child" by Harry Belafonte playing where I am now, so that gets my vote for the most irritating Christmas song.
I like "Mary's Boy Child"...if they sing it all the way through. Trouble is, so many singers transition to and end with the "Oh my Lord, you sent your Son to save us...." that some people think it's official. It's not!

Similar problem with "Little Drummer Boy," which in and of itself is pretty annoying to me. But when they transition to "Peace on Earth, can it be?"...it drops down into "Santa Baby" territory, as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

--------Eric H. Bowen
Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
Computers are like air conditioning. They become useless when you open Windows—Linus Torvalds.

CoyoteFeathers

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Vaguely Heathen-ish and PIE Reconstructionism
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 03:35:56 pm »

What, does Jingle Bell Rock not count?  ::)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »
Similar problem with "Little Drummer Boy," which in and of itself is pretty annoying to me. But when they transition to "Peace on Earth, can it be?"...it drops down into "Santa Baby" territory, as far as I'm concerned.

"Little Drummer boy" is Lyricfox's most hated Christmas song. It was my mother's favorite Christmas song. I can take it or leave it, but I like to hear it once in a while as it always reminds me of my mother -- I just have to make sure Lyric can't hear it.  ;D
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: