Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: TV/Film: What's the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?  (Read 16614 times)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: What's the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;88669
The movie felt like a good adaptation of a children's novel, which is what The Hobbit is, really.  Which was part of my problem with it.  But don't mind me.  I'm such a huge geek about the original three films, it's hard for me to "prequel".  In four years when all three parts are out on DVD, I'll watch 'em all in order and probably love the whole thing.  ;)

Brina

*laughs* You have more patience than I do.
And it is nice to see it on the big screen, too. ;)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:03 pm »
Quote from: mandey7;88665
The Hobbit - I thought it was pretty good. Not as 'epic' as the Lord of the Rings though. I didn't care for how some things were changed around either. Didn't think that was needed. Overall worth watching though.

Quote from: Tana;88667
You know, I actually liked that. (The book isn't as epic, too, so it would've been strange if the movie hadn't had another 'voice'.)

And the changes include back story and tie in story with LOTR and it's been ages since I read the book anyway, so... *shrug*

I always see movie and book as two different entities, so I don't get all worked up about things like some folks do. Cinema is for fun and I want to enjoy it - if a movie happens to disappoint me, it's something else, but I tend to suspend disbelief and cut the movie some slack from the get-go.

The movie felt like a good adaptation of a children's novel, which is what The Hobbit is, really.  Which was part of my problem with it.  But don't mind me.  I'm such a huge geek about the original three films, it's hard for me to "prequel".  In four years when all three parts are out on DVD, I'll watch 'em all in order and probably love the whole thing.  ;)

Brina

The Hobbit was always meant to have a very different feel than LotR, and rightly so, because it's a completely different story. The events themselves, when taken out of the context of the writing style, are actually very epic in my opinion. [Spoilers for people who haven't read the book] The Battle of the Five Armies is a huge one, and it helps to mend the relations between Elves and Dwarves (not by much, but their rivalry goes back to the first age, really, and that sort of distrust can't be fixed overnight).

The things that were changed around weren't, actually. Most, if not all, of the suspect material "added" to the story was actually taken from other legit Tolkien sources, namely The Quest for Erebor (found in 'Unfinished Tales'), which goes into this story in a bit more grim detail and told from Gandalf's perspective post-coronation.

Radagast was, to my knowledge, the only part made up by Peter and that was a total delight from this Tolkien fan's perspective. (There's variety in the personalities of Elves, Valar, Orcs... why not the Maiar?)

But to sum it up from the aforementioned Quest for Erebor:

"But you know how things went, at any rate as Bilbo saw them. The story would sound rather different, if I had written it."

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2013, 01:14:18 pm »
Quote from: Maps;88871

The things that were changed around weren't, actually.

Yes, this. Also I agree on epic things still being epic enough - I mean what would one call the fight of the giants? I thought it was brilliant.

Radagast was, to my knowledge, the only part made up by Peter and that was a total delight from this Tolkien fan's perspective.

I enjoyed this character a lot. I thought it was an adorable idea and the hare sleigh was just aweseome.

"But you know how things went, at any rate as Bilbo saw them. The story would sound rather different, if I had written it."

Yup. :)
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2013, 07:02:51 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;88607
Saw Les Misérables yesterday. I'd never read the book or seen it on stage, so didn't know what to expect. But I did enjoy it.

Should have taken some tissues, though...

I'm seeing it this weekend. We saw the stage production a few months ago...it is rather difficult to bawl the way I did and try not to ruin the performance for the people around you :o
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,
 if I believe in one thing... just one thing... I believe in her."

~David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »
The movie felt like a good adaptation of a children's novel, which is what The Hobbit is, really.  

I agree that it seemed more like a children's book... although I sort of have a problem with that because it's rated PG-13. I don't know; I know there are some violent parts in the novel, but I for one read it in elementary school, and I think a PG rating would have opened it to more audiences.

I, too, LOVED Radagast! :) And I think Martin Freeman was excellent!

I don't know; I enjoyed it as a movie, but I'm somewhat lukewarm about it. I felt it was too long, and I'm a bit miffed they turned it into three separate movies. That seems ostentatious or greedy to me.

I guess it's just that nothing beats LotR. :D
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2013, 07:55:00 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;88951
I agree that it seemed more like a children's book... although I sort of have a problem with that because it's rated PG-13. I don't know; I know there are some violent parts in the novel, but I for one read it in elementary school, and I think a PG rating would have opened it to more audiences.

I, too, LOVED Radagast! :) And I think Martin Freeman was excellent!

I don't know; I enjoyed it as a movie, but I'm somewhat lukewarm about it. I felt it was too long, and I'm a bit miffed they turned it into three separate movies. That seems ostentatious or greedy to me.

I guess it's just that nothing beats LotR. :D

I find this sentiment interesting... the LotR movies are pure gold to me, but as for as the story goes on its own, it's the least interesting thing Tolkien wrote in my opinion LOL. I loved The Hobbit much more..

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2013, 08:36:09 pm »
Quote from: Maps;88963
I find this sentiment interesting... the LotR movies are pure gold to me, but as for as the story goes on its own, it's the least interesting thing Tolkien wrote in my opinion LOL. I loved The Hobbit much more..

Yes, I was strictly talking about the movies.

It's been years since I've read The Hobbit and The LotR books, so I can't speak to that clearly, although I remember devouring them all! I recently acquired The Silmarillion, so I may have to return and reread everything in the near future. :)
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2013, 07:07:18 am »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;88951
I felt it was too long, and I'm a bit miffed they turned it into three separate movies. That seems ostentatious or greedy to me.

I think that this is only, because the studio is now willing to pay for it.
Jackson might very well would've loved to make three movies out of each LOTR books, too, but had troubles finding a studio at all. (Because they had to pay over a year before even a single real scene was shot, so they were reluctant.)

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2013, 10:35:46 am »
Quote from: Maps;88963

I have a very soft spot for The Hobbit too.  It was one of the first books we read aloud to each other as a family (it's something we used to do when my son was young).  We'd pass the book back and forth, each of us reading a chapter (or part of a chapter, in my son's case).  We never got around to reading the other three because my son preferred to read on his own when he was old enough for them.

Brina

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
What's the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2013, 01:05:07 pm »
The things that were changed around weren't, actually. Most, if not all, of the suspect material "added" to the story was actually taken from other legit Tolkien sources, namely The Quest for Erebor (found in 'Unfinished Tales'), which goes into this story in a bit more grim detail and told from Gandalf's perspective post-coronation.

Radagast was, to my knowledge, the only part made up by Peter and that was a total delight from this Tolkien fan's perspective. (There's variety in the personalities of Elves, Valar, Orcs... why not the Maiar?)

But to sum it up from the aforementioned Quest for Erebor:

Here's a brief Smithsonian article in this aspect of the move, in case anyone is interested:  

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/The-Tolkien-Nerds-Guide-to-The-Hobbit--185546102.html?utm_source=smithsonianinsider&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=201301-insider&device=android
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2013, 01:13:23 pm »

Putting Radagast into TH might be made up (though I do recall Gandalf describing, in the LotR books either in the story itself or somewhere in the back matter, having spoken to him, in connection with the whole "something's fishy in Mirkwood" deal), but he, and his quite distinct personality, are Tolkien's own creation.

I may just be misunderstanding your phrasing here; if so, my apologies.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Kimberly

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2013, 07:28:54 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;5627
What is the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?

Rise of the Guardians, for the second time.  LOVED it.  And it inspired my daughter's imagination...gotta love that!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It\'s not."  --Dr. Seuss
[/FONT][/I]

Hyacinth Belle

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2013, 07:37:54 pm »
Quote from: Kimberly;89789
Rise of the Guardians, for the second time.  LOVED it.  And it inspired my daughter's imagination...gotta love that!

Definitely thought you were talking about Legend of the Guardians (the owl movie), which I enjoyed if only because it was gorgeous to watch! However, Rise of the Guardians looked good too, even if the title confuses me.

SylverSparro

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
What's the latest movie you've seen in the theaters?
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2013, 09:56:09 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;5627
What is the latest movie you've seen in the theaters? (As opposed to popping a DVD/video cassette into the machine, catching it on cable, downloading and watching on iTunes/other subscription service.)

Did you like it? Dislike it?

I saw red dawn and then on the way out we snuck into flight. I liked both though I didn't finish flight as a guy came and picked me up from the theatre

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2013, 03:22:49 am »
Quote from: SylverSparro;89825
I saw red dawn and then on the way out we snuck into flight. I liked both though I didn't finish flight as a guy came and picked me up from the theatre

Hotel Transvlvania. $2 at a janky theatre nearby, cute but not fantastic.

Tags: