Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:04:14 pm]

[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Author Topic: TV/Film: THE Doctor Who Thread  (Read 2420 times)

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
THE Doctor Who Thread
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »
Warning to all that enter this thread: there will be spoilers about the BBC show, Doctor Who.

If you're fine with that, great, go on ahead! If you're not, don't say I didn't warn you!

In this thread, let's discuss anything related to the Doctor and his universe - that includes the latest episodes.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:19:44 pm by RandallS »
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: THE Doctor Who Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 05:28:49 pm »
Warning to all that enter this thread: there will be spoilers about the BBC show, Doctor Who.

If you're fine with that, great, go on ahead! If you're not, don't say I didn't warn you!

In this thread, let's discuss anything related to the Doctor and his universe - that includes the latest episodes.

I saw the Xmas Special; when does the new season start?
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 05:32:02 pm »
I saw the Xmas Special; when does the new season start?

Haven't watched who since the "Short for Mistress!" line. I literally turned off the video and was like "welp I called that and this show is officially dead to me". For numerous other reasons besides an obvious plot twist (pro tip: don't pull out the old "psych meds are a lie and deafen you to the world around you" chestnut if you want me to keep watching.)

HOWEVER, I was once on staff at Gallifrey One (the NA Who convention), I have a deep and abiding love for David Tennant, and I'm looking forward to at least giving the new series a chance for the sake of 13. I have yearned so long for a lady doctor and I'm determined to at least give Who a ratings bump so BBC doesn't go "welp I guess casting a woman was a bad idea"

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:33:05 am »

Unfortunately Netflix in Germany is really behind. I still haven't seen season 10. :(

Btw, can anyone recommend how to start watching Classical Doctor Who? I know not everything is available on DVD...so where do I begin???

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:34:35 am »
Btw, can anyone recommend how to start watching Classical Doctor Who? I know not everything is available on DVD...so where do I begin???

I don't know if it's available in Germany, but there's a streaming service called BritBox that has the Classic Doctor Who episodes that survived (with a couple of other minor gaps.) I've been watching my way through from the beginning since, um August, and just hit the Colin Baker era yesterday.

Hi, I'm Jenett, and I have watched Doctor Who in some form since I can remember. (Though I am actually about a season and a half behind on New Who. I am, fortunately, fine with spoilers).

The public television station in New Hampshire made a point of showing them, so I watched anything they could air growing up, but often not in the intended order, so this rewatch project has been fascinating for actually watching them in sequence. (Often somewhat staticky, because I was down near Boston.)

There are a lot of reasons (some of them familial) I have more or less kept up with it, but I think part of it is the sense of exploration and potential and trying different things. A lot of those experiments haven't always worked perfectly, but there's something about seeing each story go a different direction and each Doctor be, in various ways, a different way of viewing the world, and incorporating past experiences. As imperfect as the show can be, that's a thing I love a lot.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 01:20:58 pm »
I don't know if it's available in Germany, but there's a streaming service called BritBox that has the Classic Doctor Who episodes that survived (with a couple of other minor gaps.)
I really don't understand why this is available in the US, but not in Germany...  It's the same with the other BBC streamings: "not available in your region", meh...

I will look for DVD-boxes...

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 01:30:35 pm »
I really don't understand why this is available in the US, but not in Germany...  It's the same with the other BBC streamings: "not available in your region", meh...

Licensing is such a deeply mysterious thing.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 01:25:15 pm »
Licensing is such a deeply mysterious thing.
;D When does the Doctor finally fix this problem?

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:13:23 pm »
;D When does the Doctor finally fix this problem?

Hopefully after Moffat steps down, so it's not a total deus ex machina ass pull passed off as "well I guess you're not clever enough!"

Ok ok I promise I'm done being salty