Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: TV/Film: Recommendations for what to watch next  (Read 3023 times)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Recommendations for what to watch next
« on: July 26, 2020, 07:23:44 am »
A sort of spin-off thread from the What are you watching right now? thread:

What do you recommend to watch next?

I'll give a bit of flavour of the sort of things I enjoy in case anyone wishes to give me some tailored recommendations:

Fantasy shows - for example, we were enjoying The Chronicles of Shannara and were disappointed when it was cancelled.  We're really looking forward to being able to see The Witcher and The Dark Crystal (though we'll have to get Netflix for both of these).

Detective shows - I'm kind of picky, though, as I'm not keen on your basic NCIS's and your CSI's.  I prefer something with another 'strand' to it such as, say, Bones (with the additional forensic pathologist aspect) and The Mentalist (with the former-scam-psychic aspect to it).

Stand-up comedy shows - I mostly like the ones with a variety of different comedians on, like Live at the Apollo and Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow on which there are a number of guests each time.

Misc - not sure how to categorise shows like Mythbusters and Master of Arms which I sometimes quite enjoy re-runs of.  I also really enjoy watching shows about the making of films.

Or, you can just post about the thing that you're really enjoying right now as a general recommendation to the thread at large.

For instance, we recently started re-watching sci-fi series Farscape, and so far (we're still on season 1) it holds up pretty well to the passage of time so I recommend this to fellow sci-fi fans of all ages.  We're watching it on Amazon.

Also for sci-fi fans (specifically, for Star Trek fans), my husband is excited for the new animated Star Trek series Lower Decks.

Finally (for the moment) I recommend Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector for detective show fans, as I'm quite liking how it's been put together.  I'm watching this on one of the Sky channels on TiVo (Sky Witness I think).
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
Re: Recommendations for what to watch next
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 03:42:53 pm »
Detective shows - I'm kind of picky, though, as I'm not keen on your basic NCIS's and your CSI's.  I prefer something with another 'strand' to it such as, say, Bones (with the additional forensic pathologist aspect) and The Mentalist (with the former-scam-psychic aspect to it).

You probably aren't as picky as I am.  My (utterly unused) undergrad degree focused on criminal justice and forensic anthropology, so watching contemporary detective shows tends to be an exercise in not screaming "wrong!" when they mess up the science. (Even Lucifer, which is a favorite show, annoys me with the way it handles police work).

I tend to choose detective shows set in the last quarter of the nineteenth century (historically interesting because of the advances in detection and forensics).  Sherlock, good because I'm a fan of the original stories and enjoy seeing different interpretations of them (also the actors!).  The Alienist currently is holding my interest for several reasons - the setting, the time period, the incredible job of costume and set design, and the storylines.  Season two has just started here (new episode tonight - yay!).

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 02:41:53 pm »
(Even Lucifer, which is a favorite show, annoys me with the way it handles police work).

Oh yep you totally have to suspend your disbelief for the vast majority of detective shows - I enjoyed Season 1 of Lucifer, and I think Amazon may have Season 2 so that's reminded me of that, thanks (will have to check whether my husband is okay with me watching it without him, though).

That also reminds me, I do recommend The Rookie with Nathan Fillion - we're watching it on one of the Sky channels.

I will add The Alienist to my watchlist, though I might wait and see if it becomes available free with my Prime subscription.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 07:21:31 pm »
I tend to choose detective shows set in the last quarter of the nineteenth century (historically interesting because of the advances in detection and forensics).

I've heard good things about Murdoch Mysteries, which I believe is set in the 1920s. Also it's produced by the CBC, so you can stream it for free (at least in Canada).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Uneryx

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: it's eclectic (woogie woogie woogie)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 12:27:55 am »
A sort of spin-off thread from the What are you watching right now? thread:

What do you recommend to watch next?

The Dragon Prince!!!

Yes ok, cartoon, but 1. cartoons are awesome and 2. created by the head writers of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

It's a very good show about magic and dragons and elves and colonialism and racism and it is very inclusive and diverse and I love it a lot.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:34:28 am »
The Dragon Prince!!!

Yes ok, cartoon, but 1. cartoons are awesome and 2. created by the head writers of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

It's a very good show about magic and dragons and elves and colonialism and racism and it is very inclusive and diverse and I love it a lot.

Oh great, my husband will definitely be up for that even if it turns out I can't get into it.
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:35:26 am »
I've heard good things about Murdoch Mysteries, which I believe is set in the 1920s. Also it's produced by the CBC, so you can stream it for free (at least in Canada).

I'd be kinda surprised if I could stream it over here, but I'm pretty sure one of our TiVo channels shows reruns so I can set up a series link  :)
(From the Metta Sutta)

PerditaPickle

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 08:22:39 am »

Does anyone have good things to say about Sleepy Hollow TV series?  I can't decide whether I'm going to be able to get into it or not.  I'm fond of things related to The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and I especially like the Johnny Depp film -- but I'm told by friends that the TV series is nothing like the film.  From the clips I've seen I can't decide whether I'm going to be able to relate to the lead character, and that'll be what makes or breaks my liking of a TV series.

I guess I'll need to try an episode or two to find out!
(From the Metta Sutta)

Tags: