collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: Maleficent  (Read 2071 times)

mlr52

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 781
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Maleficent
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »
Just saw it.  Interesting take on the story (and it makes sense).

Angelina Jolie is very believable and I would like to see her do a version of the character geared for adults not children.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Airelinn

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2014
  • Posts: 106
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:40:22 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;149141
Just saw it.  Interesting take on the story (and it makes sense).

Angelina Jolie is very believable and I would like to see her do a version of the character geared for adults not children.

I can't wait to take my daughter to see it next weekend. :D

baduhmtisss

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Sep 2013
  • Location: Texas
  • Posts: 517
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 11:54:49 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;149150
I can't wait to take my daughter to see it next weekend. :D

 
I'm dying to see that movie. Angelina Jolee is one of my favorite actresses. :D
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Aster Breo

  • Senior Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2896
  • Country: 00
  • Total likes: 85
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:47:14 am »
Quote from: Airelinn;149150
I can't wait to take my daughter to see it next weekend. :D

How old is your daughter?  

I saw it this evening, and, while I liked the central message, I don't think it's a good one for young kids.  There's a lot of important relationship dynamics that aren't spelled out in the dialog that I think would go over the heads of younger kids. Plus, there are 2 battle scenes that could be upsetting.

But it really depends on age and maturity.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:05:10 am »
Quote from: mlr52;149141
Just saw it.  Interesting take on the story (and it makes sense).

Angelina Jolie is very believable and I would like to see her do a version of the character geared for adults not children.

 
I so want to see this.  Maleficent is my favorite of the villains, and I have serious squee for Angelina.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2744
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:58:32 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;149166
I so want to see this.  Maleficent is my favorite of the villains, and I have serious squee for Angelina.

 
If I were to compile a list of my favorite characters ever, Maleficent would probably be somewhere near the top.  As such, I have been weary of this film since I heard about the premise.


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

SunflowerP

  • Host
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Location: Calgary AB
  • Posts: 8572
  • Country: ca
  • Total likes: 307
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 01:20:40 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;149218
As such, I have been weary of this film since I heard about the premise.

 
Weary, as in, you got tired of it that quickly? (Which I'd believe; Disney hype can overload one in a hurry.) Or wary, as in, cautious and mistrustful?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Airelinn

  • Journeyman
  • *****
  • Join Date: May 2014
  • Posts: 106
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:21:07 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;149154
How old is your daughter?  

I saw it this evening, and, while I liked the central message, I don't think it's a good one for young kids.  There's a lot of important relationship dynamics that aren't spelled out in the dialog that I think would go over the heads of younger kids. Plus, there are 2 battle scenes that could be upsetting.

But it really depends on age and maturity.

She's six. :) I think she'll be okay, though. She's pretty thick skinned and good with movies/tv. She watched all the Harry Potter movies and did okay. As long as I'm there with her to explain stuff during or after, it's good. My dad was the same way with me. :) As long as it doesn't get all rapey, which, you know...sleeping beauty and all. But, this is Disney, right? O.o lol

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2744
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 06:31:18 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;149343
Weary, as in, you got tired of it that quickly? (Which I'd believe; Disney hype can overload one in a hurry.) Or wary, as in, cautious and mistrustful?

 
The second one:p

I don't watch TV and have an adblock on my browser so hype isn't an issue.


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

veggiewolf

  • Adept Member
  • ********
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 3105
  • Total likes: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 08:18:48 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;149347
The second one:p

I don't watch TV and have an adblock on my browser so hype isn't an issue.

 
I'm wary also but I think my MUST SEE is winning out over my "what if it is terrible?"
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

mlr52

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 781
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:09:14 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;149349
I'm wary also but I think my MUST SEE is winning out over my "what if it is terrible?"

 
Go see it, it has a different view of the story than what is usually presented.  The children that were in the theater when I saw it were paying attention: no figging, whispering, or the other things they do when uninterested in the movie, and they did not seem to be frightened.  

Angela shows Maleficent as a faerie woman driven to be a villain, to protect what she loves.  Yet she finds a way out of that.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2744
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:41:53 am »
Quote from: mlr52;149352

Angela shows Maleficent as a faerie woman driven to be a villain, to protect what she loves.  Yet she finds a way out of that.

 
And that's why I'm wary.

The original Maleficent got snubbed at a christening.  Any other villain would just level the castle and be done with it but not her.  Instead, she not only curses the kid but draws out the punishment for sixteen years just to fuck with them.  This is why, even as a(n admittedly deranged) child I always rooted for her.

From what I gather about this movie, they gave her a good reason to want revenge and made her morally conflicted about it.  That is not the Maleficent I know and love!


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

mlr52

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 781
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 10:43:35 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;149354
And that's why I'm wary.

The original Maleficent got snubbed at a christening.  Any other villain would just level the castle and be done with it but not her.  Instead, she not only curses the kid but draws out the punishment for sixteen years just to fuck with them.  This is why, even as a(n admittedly deranged) child I always rooted for her.

From what I gather about this movie, they gave her a good reason to want revenge and made her morally conflicted about it.  That is not the Maleficent I know and love!

 
This is a love and its betrayal story. Leveling the castle is too easy and quick as payback.  The child is the tool, not the true target.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Melamphoros

  • Staff
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2011
  • Posts: 2744
  • Total likes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 07:14:34 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;149359
This is a love and its betrayal story. Leveling the castle is too easy and quick as payback.  The child is the tool, not the true target.

 
You are missing my point entirely.  Maleficent was fascinating because according to her alien Fair Folk logic, she was justified in torturing an entire kingdom for being snubbed at its princess's christening.  Making it a "love and betrayal story" takes away from that.


Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

mlr52

  • Sr. Master Member
  • *******
  • Join Date: Jul 2011
  • Posts: 781
  • Total likes: 0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Re: Maleficent
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 09:25:28 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;149386
You are missing my point entirely.  Maleficent was fascinating because according to her alien Fair Folk logic, she was justified in torturing an entire kingdom for being snubbed at its princess's christening.  Making it a "love and betrayal story" takes away from that.

 
This version has nothing about being snubbed at the princess's christening, it is about something that happened before that.  And the curse in this story is not corrected by the last angel/faerie, but stands a pronounced by Maleficent.  

Maleficent is justified in her actions and the curse she places on the child for, how it is removed as stated in Maleficent's curse is truly devastating, more so than the damage and destruction for the kingdom.    

Although the story is about Maleficent it is not her story.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Tags:
 

* Who's Online

  • Dot Guests: 35
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Allaya, Chatelaine, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall