Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Korean dramas and culture  (Read 5049 times)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Korean dramas and culture
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 02:12:34 am »
Quote from: kiarakapow;136629
KPOP has being sort of problematic for me because of the appropriation of black and latino culture.

Does Korea have institutional power of cultural empiricism?

When did that happen??
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 08:06:58 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;136810
Does Korea have institutional power of cultural empiricism?

When did that happen??

White people aren't the only people who can appropriate culture?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:46 am »
Quote from: Sage;136818
White people aren't the only people who can appropriate culture?
To my understanding, the qualifier for appropriation rather than cultural hybridization is  an imbalance of power. When did Korean culture qualify for that? How are Black people and Latino people disenfranchised by influencing Korean culture?

Are there other qualifiers, such as actual Black people and Latino people taking umbrage to beats and riffs being plagiarized, or Korean performers doing something significant to another culture more for show than any understanding or appreciation for the act (and what acts were those?)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:15:58 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Korean dramas and culture
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 10:12:08 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;136834
To my understanding, the qualifier for appropriation rather than cultural hybridization is  an imbalance of power. When did Korean culture qualify for that? How are Black people and Latino people disenfranchised by influencing Korean culture?

The imbalance of power definitely exists in Korea. I learned more about privilege from living there, where mine was seriously reduced, than from any other experience. And it was much worse for the non-white foreigners.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

kiarakapow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 11:43:20 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;136834

Are there other qualifiers, such as actual Black people and Latino people taking umbrage to beats and riffs being plagiarized, or Korean performers doing something significant to another culture more for show than any understanding or appreciation for the act (and what acts were those?)

Well I don't know where you got you're definition of cultural appropriation but ANYONE can appropriate culture. There is a difference between appreciating certain styles and using them to influence your music but that is not what KPOP does.

KPOP uses the black/Latino people(and others like Desi/South Asian and Native American) as something that they can use as props and costumes. When those people are routinely killed/arrested/bullied for simply being apart of that culture, then it's not right to take that culture for 5 mins of a performance and then take it off.

I don't understand if y'all are even reading the various explanations that other members and myself have been posting about cultural appropriation.

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zamot.pw
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »
Quote from: kiarakapow;136845
but that is not what KPOP does.
KPOP uses the black/Latino people

So its KPOP or just few bands? Because I'm pretty sure that cultural appropriation happens in every music style.

Shouldn't jazz or blues be played only by people of color?

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 02:01:04 pm »
Quote from: Sage;136765
Considering that white people adopting dreadlocks is appropriating other cultures and I've heard a great many people of color express dismay and anger over yet another part of their culture stolen by ignorant white folk...

First the skin is NOT synonym with culture. There is not a Black Culture FYI.

Second, f'ex in my country with deep roots in Afro Caribbean culture, I have seen white people raised in afrocaribbean towns since childhood, they are raised in that culture. Should they be excluded from using dreads because they are white? Bulls...

Didn't our ancients who took gods from other countries the same mistake?

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 02:07:42 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;136853
First the skin is NOT synonym with culture. There is not a Black Culture FYI.

Second, f'ex in my country with deep roots in Afro Caribbean culture, I have seen white people raised in afrocaribbean towns since childhood, they are raised in that culture. Should they be excluded from using dreads because they are white? Bulls...

Didn't our ancients who took gods from other countries the same mistake?

I'm sorry, but in the US there are many cultures. Black US culture is a thing. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

zamotcr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;136854
I'm sorry, but in the US there are many cultures. Black US culture is a thing. Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I think you didn't understand me. I meant that there is not a single black culture. There is not. There are a lot of  different cultures of people of color.

Africa was hugeee continent with different kind of cultures. There are also black native in Australia which are far connected to the African ones. Also you can't compare an US people of color with a Jamaican for example, their cultures are NOT the same.

It's like saying native american culture, like if they were a homogenous group.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:50:30 pm by zamotcr »

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 03:28:12 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;136839
The imbalance of power definitely exists in Korea. I learned more about privilege from living there, where mine was seriously reduced, than from any other experience. And it was much worse for the non-white foreigners.

I definitely agree. The thing with a lot of racial discussions on the web is that it's often viewed with a very Western/North American bias; power imbalance and institutionalized racism can be very different in different cultures, because there is complex and diverse history in other parts of the world that shouldn't be ignored.

I don't think I ever encountered a definition of cultural appropriation that strictly implied that it could not be done laterally between minority groups (because it definitely does happen), but, I haven't encountered everything ever, so I'm willing to admit it exists.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 03:32:24 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;136858
I think you didn't understand me. I meant that there is not a single black culture. There is not. There are a lot of  different cultures of people of color.

Africa was hugeee continent with different kind of cultures. There are also black native in Australia which are far connected to the African ones. Also you can't compare an US people of color with a Jamaican for example, their cultures are NOT the same.

The appropriation in question in regards to those Korean music groups is dealing with Black US culture (you might be more familiar with "African-American culture" as a term?). I agree that people can be raised in a culture who are not ethnically a part of it but live in the area, but they also have to remember that depending on where it is, they'll always have privilege and opportunities that their Black friends will not, even if they grew up the exact same way.

Black US culture is a pretty complex thing, as yes it does involve people who are descendants of slaves who were taken from all over Africa (although predominantly from certain countries that were more accessible to slavers). It's not something I don't think I should speak for as I am not a Black US citizen, so maybe someone who is should speak further on this issue.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 03:36:09 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;136858

The appropriation that is taking place is of African-American culture.

-Robert Burns

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »
Quote from: zamotcr;136626

So any korean lover here? lol

My mum is totally into Korean dramas. Me and her use to watch them together all the time. I remember one time when I was younger,  she had to go to the hospital for surgery and she told me to watch the latest episodes for her so when I visited her I could tell her what happened x3

My favorite K-drama is Coffee Prince! And I listen to some of the older Korean groups/singers from when I was younger like, S.E.S, Coyote, BoA...etc.

I've been really getting into Korean food too. I can't have enough of it! And this is from someone who's been a major Japanophile for a looong time!

P.S. Why is there a discussion about African-American culture when we are suppose to be chatting about what we like about Korean culture??

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 03:53:45 pm »
Quote from: Caffeinated Autumn;136866
My mum is totally into Korean dramas. Me and her use to watch them together all the time. I remember one time when I was younger,  she had to go to the hospital for surgery and she told me to watch the latest episodes for her so when I visited her I could tell her what happened x3

My favorite K-drama is Coffee Prince! And I listen to some of the older Korean groups/singers from when I was younger like, S.E.S, Coyote, BoA...etc.

I've been really getting into Korean food too. I can't have enough of it! And this is from someone who's been a major Japanophile for a looong time!

P.S. Why is there a discussion about African-American culture when we are suppose to be chatting about what we like about Korean culture??

Because the appropriation of Native American and African-American cultures is a problem in certain areas of Korean pop culture. And because thread drift happens.

-Robert Burns

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 03:59:56 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;136871
Because the appropriation of Native American and African-American cultures is a problem in certain areas of Korean pop culture. And because thread drift happens.

You must spread around reputation...
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Tags: