Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: TV/Film: New Mad Max Movie Brings Out Misogynist Fury  (Read 1625 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
New Mad Max Movie Brings Out Misogynist Fury
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:47:16 pm »
Apparently there is a new Mad Max movie coming out. Apparently the plot has a bunch of people on various "pro-masculinity sites" like Return of the Kings. I hadn't heard there was a new Mad Max movie coming out nor had I ever heard of sites like Return of the Kings, but some of the quotes from messages on that site in the article linked below are really on the sick side. The movie actually sounds like an okay action adventure flick. I'm not really sure why it has this folks so bent out of shape.

The Article: Furious about Furiosa: Misogynists are losing it over Charlize Theron’s starring role in Mad Max: Fury Road
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:33:53 pm by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Mad Max Movie Brings Out Misogynist Fury
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:18:04 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;174983
Apparently there is a new Mad Max movie coming out. Apparently the plot has a bunch of people on various "pro-masculinity sites" like Return of the Kings. I hadn't heard there was a new Mad Max movie coming out nor had I ever heard of sites like Return of the Kings, but some of the quotes from messages on that site in the article linked below are really on the sick side. The movie actually sounds like an okay action adventure flick. I'm not really sure why it has this folks so bent out of shape.

Mr. Laveth has actually really been looking forward to this movie. But people are just... weird. Yep I'm going with that word, weird.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:21:46 pm »
: Furious about Furiosa:

I'd like to think that's a level of satire so subtle that I just don't get it.  But... alas.  

Personally, I'm looking forward to the movie.  That includes watching Charlize Theron kick some ass.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 04:24:08 pm »

The Article: Furious about Furiosa: Misogynists are losing it over Charlize Theron’s starring role in Mad Max: Fury Road

The last guy quoted in that article literally made me sick to my stomach. Knowing that there are men out there that still think that way scares me. And while I previously had no desire to see this movie, I think I'll have to go see it now.

Demophon

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 07:27:50 pm »

Wow, it's crazy that people can think this way. I grew up in the 90s with shows like Xena and Charmed, so I don't find strong female action heroes that controversial, even if Furiosa is a bit more "butch." Society seems to have regressed in a lot of ways since then.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard it also has a strong feminist message regarding reproductive rights, which always gets the androcentric conservatives in a tizzy. I'd like to say that we should pay them no mind, as they are on the wrong side of history, and have lost the war. Strangely, unlike the movement for gay rights, which has rapidly taken over and become mainstream, feminism is still met with a lot of hostility by society in general.

Mellee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 08:04:02 pm »
Quote from: Siannan;175119
And while I previously had no desire to see this movie, I think I'll have to go see it now.

Bwahaha, I feel like this has been a super-common response to the ravings of these misogynistic idiots, and I love it.

Fury Road is awesome, by the way. Worth seeing in cinema.

Tags: