Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Dar Williams' new album "In The Time of Gods", other paganish music?  (Read 1699 times)

garlicandmint

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Is excellent. It's based loosely on the stories of Greek gods. The tracklist, with my detected deity affiliations, is:

1. I Am The One Who Will Remember Everything (I don't know if this is specific, I couldn't discern it, anyway)
2. This Earth (Hephaestus?)
3. I Have Been Around The World (Hestia)
4. The Light and the Sea (Poseidon)
5. You Will Ride With Me Tonight (Hermes- a standout song, for me.)
6. Crystal Creek (Artemis)
7. The Summer Child (Persephone)
8. I Will Free Myself (Unsure)
9. Write This Number Down (It's a song about justice, she describes it as Athena-esque)
10. Storm King (A play on Zeus' title and legend, but not about him specifically.)

I'm really loving it, particularly track 5. You can listen for free here: http://www.myspace.com/darwilliams/music/albums/in-the-time-of-gods-18481315

What's your favorite pagan/paganish music?

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: garlicandmint;54707
Is excellent. It's based loosely on the stories of Greek gods.

I only have her first album (which is a little folk gem).  I'll have to check this out.

Brina

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: yewberry;54708
I only have her first album (which is a little folk gem).  I'll have to check this out.

Brina
I listen to the band Folkearth a lot. They are mostly songs about Norse mythology, but they do have some songs about the Celts as well.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Is excellent. It's based loosely on the stories of Greek gods. The tracklist, with my detected deity affiliations, is:

1. I Am The One Who Will Remember Everything (I don't know if this is specific, I couldn't discern it, anyway)
9. Write This Number Down (It's a song about justice, she describes it as Athena-esque)
10. Storm King (A play on Zeus' title and legend, but not about him specifically.)

I'm really loving it, particularly track 5. You can listen for free here: http://www.myspace.com/darwilliams/music/albums/in-the-time-of-gods-18481315

What's your favorite pagan/paganish music?

I love Dar! Thank you, I'll check out her new album a little sooner than I had planned :)
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her

I'm a fan of her since 2 years or something. This album was a great surprise, because most of her songs aren't about gods or in any way pagan themed...with exception of 'The Christians and the Pagans' and maybe a couple others.

I always liked that she has a broader range of themes and isn't just another middle age-nostalgic pagan folk artist - not that I don't like pagan folk, but Dar's texts are really very original, intelligent and about the here and now.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: Waldhexe;54725
I always liked that she has a broader range of themes and isn't just another middle age-nostalgic pagan folk artist - not that I don't like pagan folk, but Dar's texts are really very original, intelligent and about the here and now.

I don't really consider her a pagan folk artist at all.  Until now she just had a handful of songs with themes that could loosely be construed as "pagan".  Her first album is completely devoid of such reference, and I think it's her best.

Full disclosure:  I really don't like "pagan" music for the most part.  Especially of the ultra-earnest, New-Agey variety.  There are a few songs I like with overt pagan themes, like XTC's "The Wheel and the Maypole", but that's because I often like XTC.  For the most part I enjoy more oblique references.  Such as:

• by The Impossible Shapes.  Kemetic folks who enjoy freak folk should check out "Tum", their 2006 album with lots of Egyptian themes.
  • by Mariee Sioux -- Native American/nature themes.  And just the most beautiful song.  There's another version on the full-length album, but I like this more spartan one with the gorgeous harmonies.
  • by Joanna Newsom -- "Push me back into a tree/bind my buttons with salt/and fill my long ears with bees/prayin' please...please...please, oh you ought not" always sounds like a spell to me.  She's very fond of mythological and Buddhist imagery too.
  • by CocoRosie - a post-apocalyptic fairytale.  The live version is so much better than the album.
Obviously I like non-traditional voices and general weirdness, so YMMV.  ;)

Brina
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:56:37 pm by yewberry »

Tags: