collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 19 October 2020: $556 donated. Only $154 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

* Recent Posts

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[Today at 12:06:02 pm]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by PerditaPickle
[Today at 07:15:27 am]

Re: Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by ehbowen
[Yesterday at 09:50:51 pm]

Dreaming of Moonlight on Water by entwife
[Yesterday at 03:14:20 pm]

Re: Developing and Nurturing a Positive Mindset by sevensons
[Yesterday at 03:49:29 am]

Author Topic: Writing Meditation?  (Read 356 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Writing Meditation?
« on: October 03, 2020, 11:48:51 am »
At one point I endeavored to meditate silently each day.  I learned Centering Prayer specifically, through my old parish.

I at times felt blissed out with this method!  But I also noticed things like going home afterwards, sitting down and losing a few minutes of time, or otherwise losing awareness, so I backed away from this method.

Even on a busy day I give at least a minimum amount of time and effort to spiritual practice.  These days I simply write: random words, thoughts, sensations, feelings, emotions, with no regard for structure, punctuation, or whatever, and I don't filter or judge content.

By the time I've written for a certain length of time, I stop, and my mind is calm.

I'd like to ask, if applicable, how you have used writing for meditation, or more broadly, for altered states in general.  Did your experiences with other forms of meditation lead you to a different method, of whatever sort?

Note: We had a meditation thread some time ago I'll be searching for as well, but I specifically wanted to inquire about these topics.
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

sevensons

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Meditation?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 12:37:54 pm »

Even on a busy day I give at least a minimum amount of time and effort to spiritual practice.  These days I simply write: random words, thoughts, sensations, feelings, emotions, with no regard for structure, punctuation, or whatever, and I don't filter or judge content.

By the time I've written for a certain length of time, I stop, and my mind is calm.
A decision on what to write should make you know the mistakes you do. I don't always edit for the better phrase but its about making people feel complete rather than chipping away at there soul there's always an alternative.
Awaken myself alive and well loving to start learning today ahead a challenge set by the Gods. Haven't

Instagram stevejomac

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druidry-leaning learner
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 07:10:10 am »
These days I simply write: random words, thoughts, sensations, feelings, emotions, with no regard for structure, punctuation, or whatever, and I don't filter or judge content.

I'm actually kind of envious of those who can do this, as I cannot seem to manage it at all.

When I try, I am unable to refrain from filtering/editing myself, to the point where I write nothing at all!  I don't know how to get around this problem.
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 12:54:28 pm »

I'd like to ask, if applicable, how you have used writing for meditation, or more broadly, for altered states in general.  Did your experiences with other forms of meditation lead you to a different method, of whatever sort?

You've hit on the essence of morning pages - three daily pages of stream-of-conscious writing without editing or filtering. According to the folks who promote the practice, it's a good way to calm the mind and lessen anxiety. 

YMMV, however.  I find the practice to be anxiety-provoking, because it goes against both how I write and how I process things.  I'm extremely introverted in my processing, so what gets expressed in writing has gone through a lot of internal planning and filtering first.   Also, having a depression-driven internal monologue makes for three pages of variations on "I hate everything, most of all myself" which is neither true nor helpful.

What does work for me is writing fiction.  The practice becomes an altered state because it takes the mind out of the present reality.  When the writing flows well, I feel calm, focused, and refreshed when it's done. 
"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
~Neil Gaiman,
American Gods

SirPalomides

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Surrealist with Daoist, Christian, pagan characteristics
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/my
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 09:53:14 am »
At one point I endeavored to meditate silently each day.  I learned Centering Prayer specifically, through my old parish.

I at times felt blissed out with this method!  But I also noticed things like going home afterwards, sitting down and losing a few minutes of time, or otherwise losing awareness, so I backed away from this method.

Note: We had a meditation thread some time ago I'll be searching for as well, but I specifically wanted to inquire about these topics.

I try to write every morning, that is more or less my spiritual practice at the moment. I light incense to the spirit of a favorite author and start typing. I believe quite seriously that writing and art are magic and I have William Blake, the surrealists, and I guess the ancient history of poetry to back me up there.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 12:42:13 pm »
I'm actually kind of envious of those who can do this, as I cannot seem to manage it at all.

When I try, I am unable to refrain from filtering/editing myself, to the point where I write nothing at all!  I don't know how to get around this problem.

I don't do stream of consciousness writing (or dump pages as I call them lol) regularly, but I have done them, and what works for me is making the focus to physically write as fast as I can.  I normally do best when I'm in a real emotional state (so sometimes I'll really settle into whatever I'm feeling first, and then dump it all on the page).

I write...a lot...so the idea of regular journal writing for me always feels tedious.  I've heard about morning pages from friends, and in theory it sounds great, but pretty much every spiritual bookkeeping thing (making pretty art pages for my BOS, journaling out Sabbats and rituals, documenting my dreams or divination) don't really work for me in the long run.  I might do them a few times, but then I just can't bring myself to.

I tend to make up for it by being wordy just about everywhere else.  I am more likely to write 5+ paragraphs in a Facebook reply than I am to write just one sentence.  And sometimes that's my form of sorting things out in my head...I organize my thoughts better when they are for other people. 

The one thing I find that helps me with any type of meditational writing also frustrates me:  I write illegibly.  My handwriting is just bad, but if I'm trying to write something that needs to be read (like a shopping list) or something I want to be nice (like a thank you card or writing in my BOS), I can slow down and make it look nice.  It takes forever!  I think I'm just too impatient.  If I don't really focus on writing neatly, my handwriting is pretty much not even words.  I sort of write the first few letters, in a hybrid script/print type of way and then scribble something for the rest of the word.  I can barely read my own writing.  Which works really great when I want to write my inner thoughts and feelings and don't really want other people to read them (of course I can't read them either, so it's not great for things I want to check back in with...but it is good for dump pages to just get stuff out of my head).  I think that's why I love typing so much.  I can type fast and it's always legible!
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 06:40:43 pm »
I don't do stream of consciousness writing (or dump pages as I call them lol) regularly, but I have done them,

I've done this a couple of times, and the results were ... weird  :P That was as a creative writing exercise though, I've never thought of writing for meditation. Probably because I write a lot of fiction, so I'm more used to planned/deliberate writing.

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 09:55:32 pm »

A while ago, my husband got me interested in doing The Artist's Way which includes writing morning pages for 30 minutes. Essentially, it's a stream of consciousness exercise where you put to paper all the thoughts that crop up as soon as you wake up. I will say that this helped me immensely with centering myself and also getting out some writer's block, as well as work through some issues I was having at the time. In a way, it was meditative for me because I would focus on doing the exercise to the point where I'd block out others, and become very relaxed.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I probably should do that again, along with my morning exercise routine. Hmm..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:57:46 pm by TheGreenWizard »
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Hrútsvinr

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Torch and Hailstone
  • Religion: Norse/Slavic Polytheism
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 07:42:54 am »
A while ago, my husband got me interested in doing The Artist's Way which includes writing morning pages for 30 minutes. Essentially, it's a stream of consciousness exercise where you put to paper all the thoughts that crop up as soon as you wake up. I will say that this helped me immensely with centering myself and also getting out some writer's block, as well as work through some issues I was having at the time. In a way, it was meditative for me because I would focus on doing the exercise to the point where I'd block out others, and become very relaxed.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I probably should do that again, along with my morning exercise routine. Hmm..

My thesis supervisor had me do morning pages while I was working on my creative writing thesis. It helped me dump out some of my anxiety and let the creative thoughts/inklings come to the surface. I'd often find an idea or a feeling would emerge and I'd have something to write about. Pretty helpful for creative writing.

As far as an altered state of consciousness...I've rarely if ever experienced one of those. I'm too neurotic. But I do wonder if I could use writing to help meditation. Like a mantra or something.

Tags: