collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: What is your favorite genre' of book & do you think it influences your relious belief  (Read 3253 times)

darkwhispersdale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ginko;123803
I'd like to get a good dialogue going, so here goes.

This is a 'chicken or the egg' question.  Do you have a favorite genre' that you read for pleasure?  AND do you think your genre' choice has any influence on your religious beliefs?

Example:  I love Science Fiction and Fantasy, but I try to read a wide variety of genres.  I have noticed that these two are the 'friendliest' to my religious beliefs.  The question is do I gravitate to these because of my beliefs or did they influence me and lead me to those beliefs?

What do you think? :confused:

I don't read much fiction and the little I read is Sci-fi and Fantasy

I normally read Non-fiction in the areas of History, Archaeology, Indo-European Linguistics and Linguistics in general, Classical Studies and Philosophy.

I find that non-fiction influences my beliefs greatly and helps me see connections where I wouldn't have otherwise. For example without studying Indo-European Linguistics I wouldn't have noticed that Brigid's name has a corresponding form in the Rig Veda for the Dawn Goddess Usas and similar attributes.
“The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living differ from the dead.” ― Aristotle
“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ― Confucius

CelticRaven

• View Profile
Do you have a favorite genre' that you read for pleasure?  AND do you think your genre' choice has any influence on your religious beliefs?

With fiction my favourite genre is historical fantasy (anyone else read Juliette Marillier?) with those dashes of magic and otherworldly elements interspersed throughout the story. For a "brain break" as I call it, I like to read historical romance.

With non-fiction I like to read books on history, and possibly ones which explore a bit of the whys & wherefores of human nature (like why criminals become criminals and do what they do). I also read books related to genealogy research.

Personally I see my beliefs influencing the genre's I am drawn to, but if they happen to bring up a fresh viewpoint or possible angle to how I could see the 'big picture' then I guess they could sway me to explore further.
A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

AthenaiiseSofia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://finnblack.blogspot.com/

This is a 'chicken or the egg' question.  Do you have a favorite genre' that you read for pleasure?  AND do you think your genre' choice has any influence on your religious beliefs?
:

I adore historical fiction, but I can't say that the genre influences my beliefs. Occasionally, I will read something that piques my curiosity, and I'll do some research. But I wouldn't say that it outright "influences."

However, there is one set of books that do influence me a bit. I'm not sure what genre it is, but the books are by Paulo Coelho. They did not influence my beliefs or how I worship and such, but they helped me to understand. I'm trying to figure out how to explain this clearly... It's as if I was on a single linear path and very confused about where to go next. Coelho's books often shed light on things for me, and expand my awareness and understanding.
"Go then and make of the world something beautiful, set up a light in the darkness." - from Awakening Osiris by Normandi Ellis

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: CelticRaven;125509
With fiction my favourite genre is historical fantasy (anyone else read Juliette Marillier?) with those dashes of magic and otherworldly elements interspersed throughout the story. For a "brain break" as I call it, I like to read historical romance.

Yes I loved Juliette Marillier's Sevenwaters series. I read Sorcha's story years ago and the tale has stayed with me ever since.

I too like to read historical romance as a 'brain break' as you called it, my favorite being Georgette Heyer. Otherwise my number one favorite genre is medieval and renaissance British historical fiction. I love Elizabeth Chadwick, Sharon Kay Penman and Alison Weir.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:20:32 pm by Juniper »
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,
 if I believe in one thing... just one thing... I believe in her."

~David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: AthenaiiseSofia;134851
I adore historical fiction, but I can't say that the genre influences my beliefs. Occasionally, I will read something that piques my curiosity, and I'll do some research. But I wouldn't say that it outright "influences."

I'm the same way. Historical fiction doesn't necessarily influence my beliefs but the information I discover either through the book itself or through the book inspiring further research often inspires some soul-searching that leads to a greater understanding of myself and the world around me.
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Quote from: Juniper;136969

Off-topic: Juniper!!!! Good to see you again!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: SunflowerP;137077
Off-topic: Juniper!!!! Good to see you again!

Sunflower

Thanks! :)  

*waves at Sunflower*

NanLT

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://writingsofapaganwitch.wordpress.com/

I tend to read things like psychological thrillers as well as a bit of spec fiction and fantasy. My not-so-guilty pleasure is some of the urban fantasy taht is coming out, though I tend to steer away from the authors who have chapter after chaper of gratuitous sex scenes. I just wish that publishers had discovered a market for urban fantasy when Mercedes Lackey was writing it 20 years ago.

As far as fiction influencing my Pagan practice - not so much. However it has influenced my witchcrafting practice quite a bit.

Two of my biggest influences in terms of how I view magic and spellcasting, and the ethics around it can be found in the books of Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and David Eddings (Belgariad series)

Tags: