collapse

* "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" Problem Logging In?

If you get an "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again" error when you try to log in, you need to be sure you are accessing the board with a url that starts with "https://ecauldron.com".  If it starts with https://www.ecauldron.com" (or "http://www.ecauldron.com") you will get this error because "www.ecauldron.com" is not technically the same website as "ecauldron.com". Moving to the more secure "https" means it is more picky about such things.

Author Topic: What Are You Avoiding?  (Read 1694 times)

ecotopian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Avoiding?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 11:13:05 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;110324
I've got a couple of those rolling around in the old noggin.  What has worked for me most recently is a break from routine-- I'm leaving the house with an journal and without the laptop.  Writing it out longhand makes me really think about what I'm putting down, and since paper doesn't connect to wifi I'm not distracted by photos of puppies.

I write everything down in "long hand" first.  Partly because that's the way I was taught to in school.  Do your rough draft on paper before you hit the typewriter.  Yeah, I'm that old :)  I still need my computer nearby, though, because there are times I need it for research.  I don't want to have to go back through my story and figure out where to put something I missed.  I'd rather have it there the first time through.  I had a retired professor teach me to get my rough draft tight before I start on my first draft.  That way there are fewer re-writes needed.  It takes a little longer, but it's worth it.  

I should add that I'm about 2/3 of the way done in my rough draft.  I just have to buckle down and finish it.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 02:55:42 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;110249

So: what are you avoiding?  Do you want to stop?  If so, do you have a plan?  If not, why not?

I'm working on permissions to republish right now.  And making sure I have all the hymns I need for the book(s) I'm translating/compiling already translated hymns for.   These hymnals are for some Egyptian deities.  

I'm dragging my feet on some of it.  My plan right now is to do one permissions per day so I'm not so overwhelmed.  

And once I'm done with the permissions to start checking the hymns and add the ones I haven't added yet.  

I also plan to have good food in the house so I have more energy.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; CoX; Etc.
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, she, they
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »
So: what are you avoiding?

From chat just now:

Darkhawk should write the poem about how werewolves are magic bees.
Jenett says, "You should."
Darkhawk should also do the poem for the genius loci of Boston. Sigh.
Jenett says, "You should do that too."
You say, "And read this book."
You say, "... and answer veggie's 'what are you avoiding?' thread..."
Jenett says, "Because I wish to read these things rather than distill their essence from your head."
You say, "You can sift my tasty brains? ;)"

(Jenett's commentary included with permission.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 04:58:38 am »
Spinning off from this thread, some of us thought it might be interesting to start a thread about the religious/spiritual things we know we need to do but, for one reason or another, are avoiding.

So: what are you avoiding?  Do you want to stop?  If so, do you have a plan?  If not, why not?

1. Sitting down and working through a ritual for Samhain in my head / on paper so I can get input from my grovemates. I really want to set down a framework we can use annually not, like a strict framework but the base of a tradition within the ADF COoR. Blargh. Articulating is hard.

2. Daily or at the *least* weekly ritual / meditation.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 05:06:38 am »
Quote from: Altair;110332
So it's really a matter of fear--a mental trepidation about being done with something I've been carrying around with me for 30 years.

Heh.  My roadblock looks a little different.  Stories up in my head for almost 25 years, but instead of fear of being done with them, it's fear of starting them.  I mean really starting, not the handful of half-assed attempts I can point to.
What the hell's that about?
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 06:18:31 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;110596
Heh.  My roadblock looks a little different.  Stories up in my head for almost 25 years, but instead of fear of being done with them, it's fear of starting them.  I mean really starting, not the handful of half-assed attempts I can point to.
What the hell's that about?

I think it's a similar thing: In your head they're perfect; writing them down, you have to deal with all sorts of actual mess in the telling.

I will say, however, that dealing with the actual mess of the telling can lead to even greater improvements in the story.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Bitter Clinger. Sith Lord.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 08:01:35 am »
Quote from: Altair;110598
I think it's a similar thing: In your head they're perfect; writing them down, you have to deal with all sorts of actual mess in the telling.

I will say, however, that dealing with the actual mess of the telling can lead to even greater improvements in the story.

Nailed it.  Very insightful.
Spider Man 3 never happened. And Epstein didn't kill himself.

RunningWolf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 02:32:13 pm »
Spinning off from this thread, some of us thought it might be interesting to start a thread about the religious/spiritual things we know we need to do but, for one reason or another, are avoiding.

Finishing my pagan book of prayers. I got lazy. lol :p

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 04:03:29 pm »

I'm avoiding working on my studies for ADF (those in the know, the IP).  I'm two essays away from submitting my Bardic Arts course.  You would think that would motivate me, but the only thin I am motivated toward is eating this very delicious cherry cheesecake...

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 04:04:25 pm »
Quote from: RunningWolf;133971
Finishing my pagan book of prayers. I got lazy. lol :p

Writing or reading?

RunningWolf

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 10:35:46 pm »
Quote from: Merin;133978
Writing or reading?

Sorta writing. More like compiling from other sources.

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid in training
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them/their
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 11:13:20 pm »

I'm struggling with figuring out a way to get started on meditation as a regular practice.  The first couple of attempts have gone...not swimmingly, and I keep coming up with perfectly valid reasons to put it off until 'next week'.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Jack of Many Trades
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 03:03:20 am »
Whoa, flashback thread! Let's see how I'm doing with these things.

Quote from: Jack;110256
Mara is an immensely practical goddess, and has been pushing me towards entrepreneurship for a while now. It seems really overwhelming on top of full time office work and full time school, and it doesn't help that I'll decide on an idea for a business, then do almost nothing, then get distracted by the next shiny idea.

I'm not quite into entrepreneurship but I have taken up freelancing. Sort of. Kinda. Which is a start.

There's other things leading toward the same big picture foals that I am doing, like changing my shopping habits, and some I'm still avoiding, like having conversations with my wife about certain budget changes. That last one is totally on me and not her, too, since she's been on board with everything so far.

This one I've actually made some progress on, though I feel like when it comes to finances, there's always more room for improvement. Still, I think we're better off than we were in May.

(It doesn't help that this is not nearly as glamorous or esoteric as most of what I read about online so I feel weird talking about it.)

I'm actually working on this too! I'm roughing out a 'goals' post for 2014 and talking that much about what I want to do is terrifying.

New things? I promised Mara a book this year, and I haven't been working on that nearly as much as I should, for one.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
What Are You Avoiding?
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 10:06:31 am »
Quote from: Jack;134149
Whoa, flashback thread! Let's see how I'm doing with these things.

Flashbacks is right, and I realize I avoided answering my own thread.

I'm avoiding ka work, and I really need to do it.  There's too much in my line that needs repairing.

On a more mundane note, I'm avoiding being more social because meatspace is scary.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: