Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Unusual dream symbols  (Read 1937 times)

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Unusual dream symbols
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:37:57 pm »
(Btw, do we have a folder or something other than miscellaneous for dream interpretations? Does that count as divination?)

I have a question about dream symbols. Some symbols are fairly obvious, like doors and keys and books and whatnot, but how do you interpret dream *characters* as symbols? Specifically characters that you did not create yourself? For example, I grew up with the Harry Potter characters and they became my good friends in my mind, and I created my own elaborate storylines in daydreams so much so that I've internalized them. They are by far my most frequent dream characters (that aren't meant to be strangers). The problem is, I am completely at a loss as to how to interpret dreams of them, especially dreams where the people themselves are the point of the dream. I mean, a dream of fighting Voldemort and running from Death Eaters is just another "running-away-from-something" category of dream. But otherwise, I'm not sure how to interpret dreams where the specific interactions are the point. They aren't pure creations of my subconscious, and yet, they are parts of me. It's hard to separate what's JK Rowling's story of them from *my* story of them, which definitely gets in the way of dream interpretations.

Anyways, what I think I'm trying to get at is does anyone have a good technique of separating out the layers in a dream or a good way of setting aside conscious associations that get in the way of seeing what the dream is really about?

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual dream symbols
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 12:18:06 am »
Quote from: Mithril;38780
I have a question about dream symbols. Some symbols are fairly obvious, like doors and keys and books and whatnot, but how do you interpret dream *characters* as symbols? Specifically characters that you did not create yourself? For example, I grew up with the Harry Potter characters and they became my good friends in my mind, and I created my own elaborate storylines in daydreams so much so that I've internalized them. They are by far my most frequent dream characters (that aren't meant to be strangers). The problem is, I am completely at a loss as to how to interpret dreams of them, especially dreams where the people themselves are the point of the dream. I mean, a dream of fighting Voldemort and running from Death Eaters is just another "running-away-from-something" category of dream. But otherwise, I'm not sure how to interpret dreams where the specific interactions are the point. They aren't pure creations of my subconscious, and yet, they are parts of me. It's hard to separate what's JK Rowling's story of them from *my* story of them, which definitely gets in the way of dream interpretations

I too have had dreams of fighting Voldemort and death eaters.  Once I was actually trying to fight him by drawing the circle and invoking the elements, when he can just do "avada kedavra" and was just thinking "This is SO nor fair!"

I would say that it all depends upon your mental connection with the characters in question.  Different associations, character qualities.  Get specific in your understanding of what each character represents to you and you might be able to figure out the dreams.
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:57:05 am »
Anyways, what I think I'm trying to get at is does anyone have a good technique of separating out the layers in a dream or a good way of setting aside conscious associations that get in the way of seeing what the dream is really about?

Dreams are very personal and symbols in dreams aren't nearly as standard as dream dictionaries can make it seem. The best interpretation of a dream is often found by simply asking yourself what it means to you. Also, not all dreams are fraught with meaning, some truly are nothing more than your brain relaxing.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:37:48 am »

It sometimes helps me to imagine I could go back to the dream situation and ask the character/animal/whatever questions.

I do this often with animals appearing in my dreams. I don't always get a straight answer I understand in an instance, but this kind of exploration often turns up more material which would help me to get closer to the point. - Like often the animal shows me something it didn't in the dream.

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:16 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;38810
It sometimes helps me to imagine I could go back to the dream situation and ask the character/animal/whatever questions.

I do this often with animals appearing in my dreams. I don't always get a straight answer I understand in an instance, but this kind of exploration often turns up more material which would help me to get closer to the point. - Like often the animal shows me something it didn't in the dream.

I'm just afraid that'll turn into a day dream. Although, I suppose day dreams could also tell me something.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 02:09:41 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;38826
I'm just afraid that'll turn into a day dream. Although, I suppose day dreams could also tell me something.

They often do for me. I had a habit of daydreaming about Star Trek characters since I was a little kid, I sometimes still do. In my experience it often helped me understand myself a bit better by asking myself what the character needs - or what strengths he/she has. When I was younger I often tried to analyse myself and tried to translate every symbol and character into a complete analysis looking for what kind of problems I have.

At the moment I believe a daydream is helpful to the psyche and some kind of inner communication between different parts of the self. I don't try to take them apart like a scientist dissecting a dead animal. I believe that's no nurturing way to treat my own feelings, needs and goals which express themselves through symbols and characters. I try to give the symbols and characters appropriate room - f.ex. I let the dream/daydream evolve further, I put images of them in my room, on shrines etc., I try to find out what they have to give to me by further inner "talk" and try to accept those gifts.

F.ex. if I have a dream or daydream involving Worf (you know, that Klingon warrior), I let the daydream evolve further, look where it takes itsself, talk to him, that way I find out what my psyche needs from that character. I don't make a psychoanalysis and say "I'm feeling weak and insecure or I'm driven by aggression, so I'm fantasizing about a warrior archetype" - that might be true, but it wouldn't be as helpful to me as talking to the character. He might say "I love fights and action, I feel bored by sitting at a desk all day" For me that's a much quicker way than trying to translate symbols and characters with the view of a psychoanalyst searching for a problem.

Not sure I'm explaining this in a good way or that it is helpful to you.

Mithril

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;38831
They often do for me. I had a habit of daydreaming about Star Trek characters since I was a little kid, I sometimes still do. In my experience it often helped me understand myself a bit better by asking myself what the character needs - or what strengths he/she has. When I was younger I often tried to analyse myself and tried to translate every symbol and character into a complete analysis looking for what kind of problems I have.

At the moment I believe a daydream is helpful to the psyche and some kind of inner communication between different parts of the self. I don't try to take them apart like a scientist dissecting a dead animal. I believe that's no nurturing way to treat my own feelings, needs and goals which express themselves through symbols and characters. I try to give the symbols and characters appropriate room - f.ex. I let the dream/daydream evolve further, I put images of them in my room, on shrines etc., I try to find out what they have to give to me by further inner "talk" and try to accept those gifts.

F.ex. if I have a dream or daydream involving Worf (you know, that Klingon warrior), I let the daydream evolve further, look where it takes itsself, talk to him, that way I find out what my psyche needs from that character. I don't make a psychoanalysis and say "I'm feeling weak and insecure or I'm driven by aggression, so I'm fantasizing about a warrior archetype" - that might be true, but it wouldn't be as helpful to me as talking to the character. He might say "I love fights and action, I feel bored by sitting at a desk all day" For me that's a much quicker way than trying to translate symbols and characters with the view of a psychoanalyst searching for a problem.

Not sure I'm explaining this in a good way or that it is helpful to you.

I know exactly what you're talking about, actually. Thanks, I'll do that. :)

Tags: