collapse

Author Topic: Seeking blog post about non-genetic ancestors  (Read 1420 times)

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Seeking blog post about non-genetic ancestors
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:06:05 am »
There was one in particular that I thought was absolutely spot-on about how ancestral veneration doesn't necessarily mean looking back to family members who were jerks or passed on abusive relationship patterns, but that we can be descendants of ideologies that have sort of rippled through the world at a particular time in the past.

I can't find it in my bookmarks, but I wouldn't mind reading any similar blog posts along that line.

Would the description happen to ring a bell to anyone? I figured that it was well worth asking.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking blog post about non-genetic ancestors
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 06:57:03 am »
Quote from: Faemon;148282
There was one in particular that I thought was absolutely spot-on about how ancestral veneration doesn't necessarily mean looking back to family members who were jerks or passed on abusive relationship patterns, but that we can be descendants of ideologies that have sort of rippled through the world at a particular time in the past.

I can't find it in my bookmarks, but I wouldn't mind reading any similar blog posts along that line.

Would the description happen to ring a bell to anyone? I figured that it was well worth asking.

This thread might be of use, It's not exactly what you are asking but some of the answers might be useful

http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?6859-Ancestor-veneration-and-adoption&p=109918
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:58:10 am by Sarah »
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:19:25 am »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;148286
This thread might be of use, It's not exactly what you are asking but some of the answers might be useful

http://ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?6859-Ancestor-veneration-and-adoption&p=109918

That wasn't anywhere in the ballpark of what I'm asking for, unfortunately.

I'm not asking about non-genetic ancestors as in adoption or fostering.

I'm asking for a specific post (or even specific topic here that I can't find) covering non-genetic ancestors of ideology when blood-and-bodily ancestors suck because of passing on patterns of abusive behavior.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:19:46 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:37:59 am »
Quote from: Faemon;148375
That wasn't anywhere in the ballpark of what I'm asking for, unfortunately.

I'm not asking about non-genetic ancestors as in adoption or fostering.

I'm asking for a specific post (or even specific topic here that I can't find) covering non-genetic ancestors of ideology when blood-and-bodily ancestors suck because of passing on patterns of abusive behavior.

Guess you didn't read Jenett's, Jack's and Darkhawk's replies then
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 10:17:18 am »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;148389
Guess you didn't read Jenett's, Jack's and Darkhawk's replies then

That caught the sentiment but as I keep saying, I'm searching for a blog post which thoroughly explores that sentiment so it still isn't quite what I'm looking for. Thank you for trying to help by highlighting your very special topic that you made, but that's not what I'm rather desperately searching for.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:17:46 am by Faemon »

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 02:30:15 pm »
Quote from: Faemon;148282

well there is this: http://www.witchesandpagans.com/Pagan-Paths-Blogs/another-ancestor-q-a.html

or Caer's: http://mystiknomad.wordpress.com/tag/ancestors/

I have the issue of wanting to do ancestor work and my bio parents .. well yeah.. just not going there. So I've avoided it for a really long time.  I tried to find another blog I thought I'd seen from a friend about his take on it I know I've read descriptions of other people either working with people prior to the abusive idiots or choosing people they feel influenced their lives or tradition. Since you pointed out that you're looking for specific examples. I will look and ask around but here's a few ideas that I've run across though I can't find the sources online at the moment. Like someone who works with the spirits of those who died on the middle passage. or like me and other friends working with the Queer or Trans who have died, because they are our ancestors that made space/showed us the way/however you want to phrase it and honoring them is vital so that we remember their stories and the struggles and the beauty. here's a few other blogs that might be good/helpful on your search.Are these closer?

http://www.witchesandpagans.com/Pagan-Culture-Blogs/honoring-political-ancestors.html

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 11:52:18 am »
Quote from: Kyndyl;148401
well there is this: http://www.witchesandpagans.com/Pagan-Paths-Blogs/another-ancestor-q-a.html

or Caer's: http://mystiknomad.wordpress.com/tag/ancestors/

I have the issue of wanting to do ancestor work and my bio parents .. well yeah.. just not going there. So I've avoided it for a really long time.  I tried to find another blog I thought I'd seen from a friend about his take on it I know I've read descriptions of other people either working with people prior to the abusive idiots or choosing people they feel influenced their lives or tradition. Since you pointed out that you're looking for specific examples. I will look and ask around but here's a few ideas that I've run across though I can't find the sources online at the moment. Like someone who works with the spirits of those who died on the middle passage. or like me and other friends working with the Queer or Trans who have died, because they are our ancestors that made space/showed us the way/however you want to phrase it and honoring them is vital so that we remember their stories and the struggles and the beauty. here's a few other blogs that might be good/helpful on your search.Are these closer?

http://www.witchesandpagans.com/Pagan-Culture-Blogs/honoring-political-ancestors.html

I found it, but yes thank you those links are quite fascinating as well. :)

Sorry for getting snippy and then disappearing for three months.

Tags: