Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: The AfterLife  (Read 3365 times)

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
The AfterLife
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »
Okay so I have been thinking about my belifs about the afterlife and what happens to our body. I belive in reincarnation and also some place we go to, that we think of before we reincarnate. What are your belifs? do you belive in the summerland? Underworld? or just reincarnation. Thanks :) I am just trying to find a afterlife that fits with my belifs, summerland or underworld grabs my attention.

Jujulinda

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The AfterLife
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:33:56 pm »
Quote from: addy;17153
Okay so I have been thinking about my belifs about the afterlife and what happens to our body. I belive in reincarnation and also some place we go to, that we think of before we reincarnate. What are your belifs? do you belive in the summerland? Underworld? or just reincarnation. Thanks :) I am just trying to find a afterlife that fits with my belifs, summerland or underworld grabs my attention.

I kind of believe in reincarnation but not like most do. I just think that we are all part of an energy field (which we sort of are) and that when we die our physical body goes to dust and our spiritual essence goes back into the grid work as it were. When new people are born it's kind of a recycling of the energy. I think that's why people have flashbacks and odd dreams and feel like they've lived past lives. Which essentially they did.

I also believe in ghosts and residual haunting and it seems to go very well with what I believe happens to us after we die. I've seen too much weird shit to not believe in ghosts and hauntings. At this point in my life I don't believe in a deity. I think that the energy field is sentient in a way. But not in a I'm a god and I created you way. It's just there. Kind of like a collective conscious. I also don't think you get punished for your actions. You lived and you died. That's why there's so much messed up stuff in the world.

That's just my opinion.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:35:21 pm »
What are your belifs?

That "the afterlife" is the least interesting portion of any religious system, and I can't be bothered wasting my time on it when there's living to be doing.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Lykaios

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aspacetoexist.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:02:06 pm »
What are your belifs?

I take the phrase "what dreams may come" somewhat literally. I think sleep and dreams comprise a kind of lesser death that is not very unlike what may be in hereafter. I also think reincarnation factors in somehow, but not in the "person comes back exactly as they were" sense and more in the "elements of a person are recombined in a new being" sense.

Outside of that, I have come close enough to dying to know I'm not afraid of it, and with time, I've come to understand that anticipating it (whether negatively or positively) is a useless exercise for me. My only thought to it at all is when I am involved in some major creative work and I spare a prayer to the gods not to take me until I finished "this one thing". I do this often enough to know I will probably still be asking for time on "just one more thing" the day I am taken. Death may be the only way for them to say "Okay, child, that's enough now." :p.
Known elsewhere as Aeshna and/or Iakhu-Itui (Iakhu)
Religious Blog: Chaos Gilded Gold

SariusImpariul

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://nightgolem.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »

I believe it depends on the soul in what happens, be it they go somewhere for eternal rest or they wait to be reborn again. That there is no pre dated time frame to be around for you, that you can go through as many lifetimes as you want to until you want to go to eternal rest.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;17156
That "the afterlife" is the least interesting portion of any religious system, and I can't be bothered wasting my time on it when there's living to be doing.

I want to give you good rep for that but I've given you too much already and the system won't let me.

*clicks invisible "Like" button*
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Crohm

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:57:24 pm »

I fully realize and know my issue herein.  I need to know the destination before I can set my feet on a path.  I prefer knowledge of where I am going so I can better regiment and pace my steps along said path.

As a male, this goal oriented mindset I know to not be foreign to my genetic makeup.

I have been told I could just 'make it all up' but I prefer fellowship of a group than walking alone, thus making that a nonstarter.
I live.  I love.  I possess.  I am content.

Amethyst

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://aamethyst.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 05:24:35 pm »

I try not to worry about this too much, because my head will explode! I'm a pantheist - so I believe we are all part of the divine, because nature is all there is (I hesitate to use "divine", but basically I believe humans, spirits, and deities are equivalent in terms of divinity). Going with that, I believe that after death we lose our physical selves but reconnect with this universal flow of nature on a different level. Everything is part of everything type of deal. I read an article on witchvox about a woman explaining this concept to a kid, and she filled a wine glass with water - water being our spirit, held in the wine glass physical body - and then dropped the wine glass on the ground - the physical body died, the spirit splashed everywhere. Kind of what I'm getting at haha.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:24:53 pm by Amethyst »
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.//Serbian Proverb
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why.//Mark Twain
Member of the New Order of Druids//Greener Paths

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 09:36:11 pm »

Oh, I've got ideas, but this^ is always what I come back to because it's actually, I dunno... relevant.

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:41:57 am »

I basically just said a long-winded version of this in another thread. :D:

After I am dead is utterly irrelevant.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31:21 am »
Quote from: Crohm;71996
I fully realize and know my issue herein.  I need to know the destination before I can set my feet on a path.  I prefer knowledge of where I am going so I can better regiment and pace my steps along said path.

Are you saying you'd only join a religion if you liked where their afterlife took you?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:31:36 am by Sage »
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:38:48 am »

I don't know and I don't think it's all that important.

When I de-converted myself from Christianity, one of the first things to go was the idea of Satan and Hell. Following that was Heaven, or really any idea of an afterlife that hinges on our actions in this world.

If there is some sort of continuation of our soul or whatever, then I firmly believe that continuation is just another aspect of the universe, like gravity, and that it will happen regardless of my being good or bad in this world.

But I don't believe in a soul or any eternal part of me. That's what makes me so special, and what makes life so precious. When I'm dead, I am dead. Even if there is some continuation, I will no longer be me, and I can't appreciate it.

I will tell you something awesome, though. The atoms that make up my body once belonged to the heart of a star, which exploded and, in its death, sent out seeds for life. I am the physical, actual reincarnation of a star, and so is everyone else on this planet. And one day when our sun expands and roasts the Earth, my remains will be part of a star again. So in reality, my humanity is just a very, very short interval between living as a star.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Raven Rose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:47:42 pm »

My beliefs of the afterlife are as follows:

We die, we meet souls that we've lived/incarnated with. We review our life from our perspective and the perspective of others. Sometimes we still have to learn lessons in the afterlife, especially if you don't know you're dead you can re-live certain aspects of your life over and over (I think this is partially what hauntings are). Once you're done reviewing you can choose to stay on the astral plane for however long and when you decide to incarnate again you do so. Sometimes deals are struck on the other planes between souls and blah blah blah..... My beliefs are strongly centered on astral projecting and Robert Bruce.

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 03:20:48 pm »
What are your beliefs?

I believe in the Classical afterlife of Tartarus, Elysium, Fields of Asphodel, etc. influenced strongly by Orphic reincarnation.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Green Thumb

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 04:44:43 pm »

I will die. That is it. To me the largest honor I can pay the earth is my own body when I die and that is as far as I care to think about my death
~E

Tags: