collapse
2020 Donation Drive

It's time for our annual Server Donation Drive! We need to raise at least $710 to keep The Cauldron's server online for another year. Please help! Either hit that Paypal button to the right and make a one-time donation in any amount or set up a monthly Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor subscription. You can find more info in this message!

Donations as of 31 October 2020: $610 donated. Only $100 more needed! Thank you, donors!

Note: This total is updated manually, usually once a day

Author Topic: Symbols That Strike a Chord in You  (Read 3366 times)

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Symbols That Strike a Chord in You
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 04:23:11 pm »
The colour of cobalt blue glass is my absolute favourite colour in the world, especially if the glass is thick and the blue is therefore rich and deep.

Thirded.  ;D

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 04:35:05 pm »
they take up more mental space than they ought, including some strong emotional connections, for reasons unknown. 

This is me with bowls. Why do I have so many bowls? I even took a wood-turning class so I could make more bowls. (Most of my collection is wood and ceramic, but there are various other materials in there.) Also, boxes.

I also seem to have a thing for bird and feather motifs, especially peacock. I say 'motif' rather than 'symbol' because I'm fairly sure I just like the aesthetic, not any deeper meaning to them.

Also, trains. These have a strong family/ancestral meaning for me.

Donal2018

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Universalist
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 08:08:53 pm »
So what symbols strike a special chord with you, and if you can put your finger on it, why?

So I have a number of symbols that are important to me, but I will just mention a few here-

The Thunderbolt- Air is my main element and I have always had an affinity for storms bordering on the supernatural. Thunderbolts can be symbols of destruction and divine judgement, but they can also indicate sudden illumination or insight. The Vajra is the diamond/thunderbolt weapon of the Vedic rain and storm god Indra. I closely associate the thunderbolt with Taranis, a Celtic thunder god. In my personal UPG, thunderbolts and storms also represent a clearing out and cleansing of the sky and the rain on the land. Taranis also is portrayed with a wheel, which brings me to my next symbol- the Wheel.

The Wheel- particularly The Wheel Of Fortune- The Wheel of Fortune is an ancient symbol of the capriciousness of Fate, and was associated with the Roman goddess Fortuna (Greek Tyche). It also appears in the Major Arcana of the Tarot. My own UPG regards this symbol as one of both the capriciousness of Fate, but also the possibility of balance.

I use the Wheel in a secular context. I used to work in Peer Support and always told my clients what I would tell myself when things are going badly in life- hang on. If you hang on and push through the bad, eventually the Wheel will turn and you will rise, and things will become good again. So sometimes we are on the bottom of the Wheel and not doing so well. Then the Wheel turns and we are on top again and things are rosy. It is a process of change.

It helps to remember that when the Wheel turns in our favor and we are doing well, that the Wheel will turn again. Therefore, we will have challenges again in the future when the Wheel turns downwards, as it inevitably will. This idea tempers the good times with the knowledge that things will change and we will experience challenges again. This keeps us sober when we are riding high, and gives us hope when things are low. So, the Wheel keeps turning. I sometimes think of the Wheel as a Western symbol similar to the Eastern Taoist Ying/Yang symbol. In each thing is its opposite, and change is the only constant.

The Cross- I know that some Pagans shy away from this symbol due to its Christian associations. I am personally a kind of Pagan Christian and want to see a world not ruled by Christian cultural hegemony, even though I continue to call myself a kind of Christian (maybe a balanced Pagan Christian). Anyway, this symbol has some non-Christian meanings and Pagan overtones, so I use crosses as symbols in my practices.

The Cross is a symbol of a connection between heaven and earth. It can also be viewed as a cosmic axis, thus representing the Axis Mundi or the World Tree of myth. The horizontal line represents  the earthly, intuitive, negative, passive, and female (sort of a Western Yin), whereas the vertical line represents the celestial, intellectual, positive, active, and male (sort of a Western Yang). Thus, the two aspects connect and are joined in one symbol.

Also, the Solar Cross (a Cross inside a Circle) is an ancient prehistoric Indo-European symbol that is more explicitly pagan in its associations. 

Finally, I would point out that I use a lot of symbols in a private practice that I will not talk about here at this point. I say this not to be secretive, but rather because I find that some symbols need to be experienced directly and non-verbally through art and ritual to have their full impact. Writing about some symbols can sort of defeat the point of connecting with an image or an idea in a way that is not tied up in language and higher reason. The power of symbols thus can be direct into the psyche in a non-verbal way, which is a different experience than through a language based higher intellect context.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:12:49 pm by Donal2018 »

Altair

• Adept Member
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 09:41:38 pm »
The power of symbols thus can be direct into the psyche in a non-verbal way, which is a different experience than through a language based higher intellect context.

Agreed. The symbols I use in the mandala in my signature, below, I consider to be largely of that nature.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 11:03:42 pm »
So what symbols strike a special chord with you, and if you can put your finger on it, why?

Oh, so many!  I see symbols everywhere, and I love them!

In no particular order:

Brighid's cross -- That's an obvious one.

Spirals in general and triskeles in particular -- Not unique, I know.

Blades -- Already been discussed at length.  I carry a small folding pocket knife everywhere I go, and I use it all the time.  My wedding gift from my husband 35 years ago was a beautiful Loveless boot knife with a matte black handle.  I'd love to have pattern-welded (aka, "Damascus" steel, but it's not really) knife.  I think they're beautiful.  Why do I feel this way about blades.  No idea.  I think it's a primal thing about feeling that you can protect yourself.  Or something.

Battleaxes -- Related to blades but different.  I think this is about strength and...something else...

Cats -- As a symbol, I mean.  To me, they represent opposites existing in one body, and mystery.  I think...  It's not something I can articulate.

Sun -- It would be easy to connect this one to Brighid, too, but it pre-existed my learning about Brighid.  It represents life.

Moon, especially crescent -- This one is also not unique at all, but it always makes me think of magic and power.  Maybe particularly feminine, but not always.

Stars -- Divine guidance  (I have a thing about the Pleides, but I don't know why)

Flame -- Spirit, Divinity, hearth and home

Oak leaves and acorns -- This one is about family and strength.  My husband, both kids, and I all have the same tattoo of 2 oak leaves (representing my husband and me) and 2 acorns (representing the spawns).

There are more, but that's enough for now.

Great topic!
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: