Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Songs from famous bands and artists about magic or witchcraft  (Read 2613 times)

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Songs from famous bands and artists about magic or witchcraft
« on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:34 am »
All the time I am listening to music, since I feel the need to 'feed' my 'musical hunger'. (I just wanted a nice phrase to put here and liked the musical hunger thing, sorry hahaha)
 So I enjoy this band a lot, and I hope that other members of the Cauldron do too. The Offspring have a song called "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid", and if you read the lyrics it sounds like a common nice song. But I wanna ask you, could you please watch the clip of the song and comment what do you think about it?

[video=youtube;5_LxyhCJpsM]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_LxyhCJpsM[/video]
 My interpretation about the song is the following: there is that poor man, and he finds a deity, that one at the beggining, and the goddess decides to help him to fulfill his so far impossible dream, and give him a magical guitar as a gift. He starts playing it, and in the video he realises that everybody starts dancing and enjoying its sound when he starts playing. But he starts being greedy, and begins to play to rich people just to take their money (an alternative way to reflect the Black Magic?). At the end of the video, the goddess gets angry at him because of the misuse of magic he have made, when he was suposed to use the power to do the good, and take away the magical guitar from him.
 "It's an art that’s hard to teach
 Another clever word
 Sets off an unsuspecting herd"

Just to add another video that I wanted to share with you before, there is one from Sonata Arctica, a power metal band. This one have no need to decide whether it's about magic or witchcraft, since it's clear that it is.

[video=youtube;X7Y3OjC-Ryc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Y3OjC-Ryc[/video]
 It's about a boy that falls in love with a witch friend of his, and then after the girl is pursued and burned by the people of the town, the boy gets lonely and sad. After a long time alone, he makes a decision: he confess to the inquisition that he is a wizard, so he's killed, and live for all the eternity on the side of his loved one.

If you know any other song, or have any comment to make about these two, please leave a reply here. I really want to discuss this subject.

Blessings for you all
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:53:40 am by Zaphaux »

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Songs from famous bands and artists about magic or witchcraft
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »
Quote from: Zaphaux;81402
The Offspring have a song called "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid", and if you read the lyrics it sounds like a common nice song. But I wanna ask you, could you please watch the clip of the song and comment what do you think about it?

My interpretation about the song is the following: there is that poor man, and he finds a deity, that one at the beggining, and the goddess decides to help him to fulfill his so far impossible dream, and give him a magical guitar as a gift. He starts playing it, and in the video he realises that everybody starts dancing and enjoying its sound when he starts playing. But he starts being greedy, and begins to play to rich people just to take their money (an alternative way to reflect the Black Magic?). At the end of the video, the goddess gets angry at him because of the misuse of magic he have made, when he was suposed to use the power to do the good, and take away the magical guitar from him.
 "It's an art that’s hard to teach
 Another clever word
 Sets off an unsuspecting herd"

Didn't listen to the song (not an Offspring fan, sorry), but I did read the lyrics here.  Not really seeing anything like that in these lyrics.  I see a televangelist or political pundit like Rush Limbaugh, fomenting anger and maybe violence.  The only possible outside influence seems more akin to a devil's bargain for power.

I personally love subtle references to magic in music.  Emphasis on the "subtle".  I was just listening to The Shins' song "A Comet Appears" last night.  There's a brief reference to a banishing ritual:

With burnt sage and a forest of bygones
I click my heels, get the devils in line.
A list of things I could lay the blame on
might give me a way out.

I can reference other songs, but this one immediately leaped to mind.

Brina
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:17:44 pm by yewberry »

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:12:23 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;81422
Didn't listen to the song (not an Offspring fan, sorry), but I did read the lyrics here.  Not really seeing anything like that in these lyrics.  I see a televangelist or political pundit like Rush Limbaugh, fomenting anger and maybe violence.  The only possible outside influence seems more akin to a devil's bargain for power.

I agree that it's not necessarily in the lyrics, but the plot of the video is exactly what the OP describes.  I don't think that's terribly unusual for videos, though.  There are many that are about strange things happening that could be classed as magic: time travel, dramatic transformations, things like that.

I think it's a little less common for the songs to be direct references to magic or paganism.  But definitely not unheard of or new.  Fleetwood Mac, anyone?

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:29:21 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;81432
I agree that it's not necessarily in the lyrics, but the plot of the video is exactly what the OP describes.  I don't think that's terribly unusual for videos, though.  There are many that are about strange things happening that could be classed as magic: time travel, dramatic transformations, things like that.

I think it's a little less common for the songs to be direct references to magic or paganism.  But definitely not unheard of or new.  Fleetwood Mac, anyone?

~ Aster

Yes, the magic reference that I'm talking about is in the video. I would even dare to relate the goddess of the video to Gaia, because the first time she appears to the man she comes out of the land and turns into a tree, and at the end of the video she appears out of a tree again... but not really sure, of course.

Just searched for Fleetwood Mac, sounds fine to me. What's the song in question about magic you say?

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:26 pm »
Quote from: Zaphaux;81436

Just searched for Fleetwood Mac, sounds fine to me. What's the song in question about magic you say?

Rhiannon is the most often cited Fleetwood Mac song.  It's more pagan than magic, though.  

It's been far too long for me to remember their other songs that were thought to be pagan-y, but I think there were others.  I *think*, but am far from sure, that Stevie Nicks came out as a witch at some point.

I was mostly using Fleetwood Mac as an example of a mainstream band from decades ago that incorporated pagan or magic themes.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:43:24 pm »
It's about a boy that falls in love with a witch friend of his, and then after the girl is pursued and burned by the people of the town, the boy gets lonely and sad. After a long time alone, he makes a decision: he confess to the inquisition that he is a wizard, so he's killed, and live for all the eternity on the side of his loved one.

By the way, the Sonata Arctica link doesn't seem to work.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 02:21:45 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;81438

Worked fine for me.  Try .

Oh, and on the subject of not-subtle, I give you XTC:

[video=youtube;GGNU7-w1YAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNU7-w1YAM[/video]

Brina

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 02:25:22 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;81437
[...] I *think*, but am far from sure, that Stevie Nicks came out as a witch at some point. [...]

I also have some suspects about some artists. The singer of System of a Down, Serj Tankian, I have strong suspicions that he is Wicca or something near it. In his solo career and even in the band he have lots of songs about nature-harm, and I'm pretty sure he says something about 'the mother' in one of his songs
 This made me remember of other band that haves a song with a little connection with paganism, but just a little. The band is Stratovarius, and the song is called Mother Gaia.

Quote from: Aster Breo;81438

Sorry, I will try again. For me it's working fine...

Just for precaution if it don't work again, the song is Sonata Arctica - Deathaura

[video=youtube;X7Y3OjC-Ryc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Y3OjC-Ryc[/video]

There is a orchestral version of this song, with no heavy electric guitars, only light instruments and the voices, in case of someone here does not enjoy metal songs.

[video=youtube;NfRcKEZ_4Eg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRcKEZ_4Eg[/video]

This song is trully beautiful, it's worth at least reading the lyrics if you're not disposed to listening to the song, I'm telling you all.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 02:28:50 pm »
Quote from: Zaphaux;81447
Sorry, I will try again. For me it's working fine...

Just realized my problem is that I'm using my phone.  The YouTube links apparently don't work for mobile applications.  I'll listen to them when I'm on a computer.

Sorry about that confusion.

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:30:15 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;81445
Worked fine for me.  Try .

Oh, and on the subject of not-subtle, I give you XTC:

(Video)

Brina
His voice reminds me so much of Paul McCartney's. Nice song, by the way.

Quote from: Aster Breo;81448
Sorry about that confusion.
It's fine haha don't worry
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:31:33 pm by Zaphaux »

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 04:49:28 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;81437
Rhiannon is the most often cited Fleetwood Mac song.  It's more pagan than magic, though.  

It's been far too long for me to remember their other songs that were thought to be pagan-y, but I think there were others.  I *think*, but am far from sure, that Stevie Nicks came out as a witch at some point.

I was mostly using Fleetwood Mac as an example of a mainstream band from decades ago that incorporated pagan or magic themes.

It's been rumored for years, but she's never claimed it openly, even going so far as to laugh at the idea. The rumor's so pervasive, though, that Heart had a song about her (she and the Wilsons didn't get along, obviously) called "The Witch."
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

ThePhoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:57:32 pm »
If you know any other song, or have any comment to make about these two, please leave a reply here. I really want to discuss this subject.

Blessings for you all

Sorry for the necromancy i'm using upon this post.

Pretty much any song from Inkubus Sukkubus.

Some of my favorites are:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2D6C2IC1U0[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3va0rSBRic[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DtMZBF1mMw[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTIQe95WfNU&list=AL94UKMTqg-9DiN-bPOA-RWp9voDjuBeV3[/video]

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:16:00 am »

Blessings for you all

see http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Got_My_Mojo_Working

song made popular by Muddy Waters but recorded by many artists
I first came accross this song at http://www.luckymojo.com/ reading some texts there

CalypsoMelancolic

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 06:40:59 pm »

Blessings for you all

Florence + the Machine.
is a good one. It has several elements of ritual initiation, both the song itself and the video. Also, . I don't know if Florence has specifically come out as pagan, but a lot of her songs have that sort of lean to them.

I also love Here Come The Mummies. They're not specifically pagan-themed... Their backstory is that they're a bunch of mummies cursed to funk forevermore. They have a song called . Mind you, they're pretty raunchy. Most of their songs are NSFW. Believe is pretty safe, though.

Tags: