Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Signs of Spring, Rays of Hope  (Read 6708 times)

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Signs of Spring, Rays of Hope
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »
s if it might coax things along.

Any signs of impending spring yet where you are?

My flowers have shown signs of life, but I'm worried about the wee things freezing to death!  We've had a few cold snaps.  It's crazy.  It'll be 70F for a couple days...then 30.  This bipolar weather has go to GO.  I'm ready to BBQ, camp, and what not and not freeze my toes off!!
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 02:06:32 pm »
Lots of birdsong!

I just came from a lunchtime birdwalk in Central Park in 60+-degree weather; no red-winged blackbird yet, but a song sparrow was belting it out like he means it. I hear ya, little dude! I'm feeling it too.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 05:40:14 pm »
I'm feeling it too.

I bought a pot of daffodils, I guess that counts?

Also it's raining instead of snowing, so ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 01:07:04 pm »
I bought a pot of daffodils, I guess that counts?

Also it's raining instead of snowing, so ...

That counts!

It's 68 degrees and still climbing right now in NYC, and I had the foresight to decide to work from home today...so I'm sitting outdoors scantily clad yet totally comfortable, working on my laptop in my garden (still dormant, but that's OK), and SO GODDAMN HAPPY I CAN'T DESCRIBE IT!!!!

I'm actually feeling warm sun and gentle breezes on my skin, instead of bitter cold through layer after layer...and it's still February!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Blue Star Wicca
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 02:23:05 pm »
That counts!

It's 68 degrees and still climbing right now in NYC, and I had the foresight to decide to work from home today...so I'm sitting outdoors scantily clad yet totally comfortable, working on my laptop in my garden (still dormant, but that's OK), and SO GODDAMN HAPPY I CAN'T DESCRIBE IT!!!!

I'm actually feeling warm sun and gentle breezes on my skin, instead of bitter cold through layer after layer...and it's still February!

It's 78 degrees and sunny here in Virginia, and I got out early from my OB practicum because no one wanted to have a baby today. So I just poured myself a glass of wine and am about to go onto my porch to read a book.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 03:10:05 pm »
I'd been thinking, 'nothing but the change in light levels/duration, ahahahahaha, it's still very much winter here,' since you put the thread up....

What a difference a week can make. The LBJs (to borrow what I understand is a birding term, for those small mostly-shades-of-brown seed-and-bug-eaters that flock together despite not being strictly of a feather) are more plentiful and more excited. The daytime temperature is just a bit below freezing, which is the result of chinook conditions and not inherently meaningful, but even though most of this winter's chinooks have brought above-freezing temps, in this one, the air has a subtly different feel, more similar to the spring air feel than earlier chinooks.

And just beside my balcony - in reaching distance - there's the top of a young tree, and at the tips of its branches are nubs that, on close inspection, are distinctly greenish. Though still very tiny and very tight-furled, they are indeed leaf buds.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Eastling

• Sr. Master Member
  • Love and be free.
    • View Profile
    • Mystermercury
  • Religion: Modern Dionysian hero cultus and heretical Judaism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 04:55:50 pm »
[Parking this here for its Wheel of the Year-ishness and for lack of a better spot]

So today it has barely cracked the freezing mark in New York City--another cold day in a brutal winter. And yet I'm finding signs of hope: When I walked out my front door today, I noticed there were buds on the street trees, waiting for their moment to bust open...the male mourning dove has started his rhythmic cooing...when I went to the gym this morning, it was dark, but for the first time in months, when I left the sun was up and light was everywhere (and, if I leave the office on time, there's still some light in the sky now)...even I'm getting into the act, overwhelmed the past few days with a need to play my favorite "spring summoning" music, as if it might coax things along.

Flowers were starting to bud here a couple weeks ago, but then a cold snap hit, and snow actually fell--in Seattle, in February. It was distressing...

...but today I spotted the first daffodils of spring.
"The peacock can show its whole tail at once, but I can only tell you a story."
--JAMES ALAN GARDNER

Ashmire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic, featuring mainly East Asian and Egyptian plus pop-cultural influences
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 06:25:09 pm »

Quite the opposite.  It's been more like fall or spring all the way through "winter", now we're heading into March and there's over a foot of snow on my lawn and more predicted in the next few days.

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 09:54:02 pm »
Flowers were starting to bud here a couple weeks ago, but then a cold snap hit, and snow actually fell--in Seattle, in February. It was distressing...

...but today I spotted the first daffodils of spring.

Those look like tete a tete narcissus! They tend to be the earliest in the narcissus family, mine just opened yesterday here too.

I also noticed my neighbor's maple has gone into bloom. So now we have the first herald of what we in the mid-Atlantic region call "Pollen season".

Preyna

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christian/Animist/Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 04:11:00 am »
Those look like tete a tete narcissus! They tend to be the earliest in the narcissus family, mine just opened yesterday here too.

I also noticed my neighbor's maple has gone into bloom. So now we have the first herald of what we in the mid-Atlantic region call "Pollen season".
Ahhh the days of pollen... those days when everything gets covered in greenish yellow!  ...everything....

And the sap!  Our trees weep... pour... a constant stream of sap!  You can sit and watch it rain~ We have to clean the windshields on our cars every time we take them out.  Fun times!

But yes, we've been seeing the signs here.  Our bulbs have already started blooming, dormant trees and plants have turned green with buds, and there's just that refreshing feel in the air~

I love spring, when everything just starts coming fully awake with that feeling of being alive!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Noctua

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 06:10:46 am »

I love spring, when everything just starts coming fully awake with that feeling of being alive!

I saved a turtle yesterday! Tuesdays are my longest day, 9am to 7pm, so I make a point during my breaks to try to get out on the walking trail that goes behind the school building and around the retention basin. Partway around the basin (which is permanently filled, so it's really more a pond now) something made me stop and hunker down, I just had this compulsion to stop and look. After about a minute I notice a turtle shell right at the edge of the pond- there's a stick poking up out of the water, and the turtle's back was propped against the stick, with its face in the mud. Sort of like it was doing a wall stand, but I could tell from looking at it that it would have no chance of getting its arms to the ground to get itself free. Carefully I picked my way down to the edge (the bank is steep and mostly filled with wild blackberries and cattails, no easy feat in my long skirt) and picked up the turtle praying it wasn't dead. Luckily when I went to look it over it opened one eye to look me over back, so I knew it was OK and I hadn't just picked up a turtle carcass. I put it back on its belly right at the edge of the water and walked back up the embankment. After about 2 minutes the turtle poked its head out, gave a look-see, and dived into the water.

Judging by the plastron, I think this turtle might have been a lady. If so, the only reason I can think for it to try to climb the embankment is that she wants to lay her eggs (there are plenty of sunning spots within the pond itself). Hopefully, if that's the case, she'll succeed next time.

JupiterSkies

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • E.M. Sabolcik
  • Religion: Eclectic witch
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 06:01:47 pm »

The last few days have been mid-50's and delightfully warm and sunny here, and now... ! We're in the midst of a heavy, wet, sloppy, quick dump of 6-9 inches of snow.  UGH.  An inch an hour accumulation, I watched it go from rain this morning at work, to an hour later there was about an inch of snow, just like that. There was three inches on my car when I left work at 3pm, and looking out now... I'm glad the Boy got sent home to work the afternoon, instead of having his long commute.

I'd shovel myself out so I could get to work tomorrow, but it's supposed to 40 and brilliantly sunny tomorrow and all melt anyways... I'll take my chances being lazy tonight.  This stuff is heavy!  I got an arm workout brushing off the tomb of snow around Jules earlier...

All the birds were still chirping earlier though, from high up in the pine trees, and I heard the red-wing blackbird sing all day yesterday... it's a battle royale between Winter and Spring!
Eclectic witch - crystal, deity, animal focused work.
I write, mostly poetry.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 07:11:14 pm »

ROBIN!!!

This might be the first time I've seen one before I heard any... but ony by seconds; he sang too.

I don't care if it's snowing; it's spring. (Not as defiant as it sounds; spring, especially early spring. frequently involves snow around here - if I wait for 'no more snow', it'll be summer.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Morbid

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 04:47:47 am »
ROBIN!!!

This might be the first time I've seen one before I heard any... but ony by seconds; he sang too.

I don't care if it's snowing; it's spring. (Not as defiant as it sounds; spring, especially early spring. frequently involves snow around here - if I wait for 'no more snow', it'll be summer.)

Sunflower

Yanno it's finally starting to warm up here in Eastern North Carolina.  We've had some very warm days.  But even still it gets a little nippy at night time.
For he who has truly lived never truly dies.

TheGreenWizard

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 04:58:17 am »
That counts!

And yet yesterday, it was - to quote my mom - "Colder than a witch's tit." Ugh.

ETA: Altair is now in Ecuador and I am greatly jealous that he's enjoying the heat down there. GAH!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:01:06 am by TheGreenWizard »
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Tags: